Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all Leftys!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 12:20am
Hey everyone.  I have been reviewing this thread and looking elsewhere and had a question. I found what appears to be a lefty. Bow pockets are on the right and has a spare brace on the left. The Jeep appears to be a mostly original, complete Jeep. It has not had any sheet metal work. it has the original tub with original floors and a small amount of rust and is showing consistent "patina".  My problem is that the serial number is 187559, which seems to fall outside of the accepted range of serial numbers? Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Doug
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 1:29am
At times the documentation does not line up exactly with surviving vehicles. I'd say that CJ-2A 187559 is probably a real Lefty.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2018 at 3:01am
As we all know the serial numbers rarely matched up to the Jeep so from what you described, you do truly have a lefty.
uncamonkey
havasujeepn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 10:06pm
It's been exactly a year since someone has posted here...I would like to contribute my lefty to this thread. My original post is here: https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/im-jeepn-again_topic45304_page1.html
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2019 at 10:49pm
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-research-database_topic9571.html
Try this link out.Just go to the data link and enter your jeep.
Go ahead and post your numbers here on this thread....that way we can see where yours falls in relation to our numbers....looking on the data site would make it hard to find yours.Embarrassed

Edited by damar2yxr - 21 Aug. 2019 at 10:52pm
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 12:50am
Nice looking lefty you've got there, makes me want to post a few before/after of mine now that it's getting close to 'done'. Not as clean as yours, good work on your project there
havasujeepn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote havasujeepn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 2:19am
damar2yxr,
Lefty information entered into the database.

48walker,
Thank you. The body work was done by the previous owner. I am very fortunate! I did a lot of mechanical work to get it road worthy. Yes, please post some pix of your lefty. Need to keep this post going, so others know we're here.
48 Lefty
SN 183244
ACM 173419
Engine 195912
Block 641087-L-W4
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Lefty Question:  (EDIT: THIS IS SOLVED - THE LEFTYS USE THE SAME TIRE MOUNT AS THE NON LEFTY TIRE MOUNTS)

Can I get the Lefty owners to look at their spare tire mounts and see if the reinforcing bracket hole with the flange is made so the flange faces the downword when mounted on the Lefty's left side.

You will note that this Leftys reinforcing bracket is not casting a shadow like it would if the standard tire mount had just been bolted on.  This photo makes me wonder if there was a special version of the spare tire mount made for the Lefty's with the reinforcing bracket installed so the flange faces downword - perhaps so the water would run off.

Let me know what you have on your Leftys.  Thanks, Stev 

I don't own a "lefty" but do own a Newgren slat-bottom plow as picture.  Would really like to know the origin of the picture.  That same Jeep may be the star in the movie "Revolution in Pleasantville".  Still dealing with copyright issues, so can't release the movie yet.  Here are a couple of more screen shots -

https://www.farmjeep.com/
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2019 at 4:53pm
What do you guys think? The Jeep in the pictures above was black?
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
lhfarmbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhfarmbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2019 at 5:09pm
My guess about them being the same Jeep (or part of the same Newgren test stable) is based on that the photo appears to be highlighted to show off the Newgren plow and the movie was a Monroe/Newgren (not W-O) production.  I had not seen the original photo and would like to know more about it.

Thanks,
Barry
https://www.farmjeep.com/
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 8:45pm
Just an observation on mine......this has been discussed in other threads but thought I'd mention it here as it pertains to my Lefty.

Just noticed last night that none of the knockouts for footman loop screws along the top of the tub rails (for top storage) have been knocked out on this tub.

(there are plenty of other holes I can fill but not these)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2019 at 11:30pm
Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I had to drill mine out to attach loops.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 12:33am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Just noticed last night that none of the knockouts for footman loop screws along the top of the tub rails (for top storage) have been knocked out on this tub.

What about the ones on the rear wheelwells?  Ol' Unreliable did not come with a back seat, so it only had a half cab top originally and the footman loop holes on the wheelwells were not drilled/punched out either.  Also, the holes for the footman loop that should be on the bottom edge at the top of the wheel opening, for holding the top bows in the side pockets, were not opened.  I could add a bunch of footman loops if I wanted to drill all those holes out....but I don't want to.

I once counted how many footman loops could have been installed if all the holes were there, but I've forgotten the number.  It was a lot.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 1:24am
22 Footman loops for the 2A.   20 for the 3A.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:09am
I had a vague memory of there being 23 loops.  I probably just miscounted.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov. 2019 at 2:57am
There is 23 if you count the loop that is welded to the windshield.  I don't count it because it's not optional.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov. 2019 at 11:40pm
I didn't even remember the windshield one when I counted.  I think I counted at least one twice.  Embarrassed
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2019 at 2:39am
Lefty fans check out  this Lefty trencher.

It there are more pictures on Ebay - 

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>