Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

canvas top and bows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: canvas top and bows
    Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 8:59pm
I would like to put a GPW summer type top on a cj3a. other than changing the way the top fastens to the windshield is there any reason why this wouldn't work? I really like the look of these tops.

thanks for any advice.
Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:21pm
Harry,

It is due-able depending on the type of bows you have.  There are some considerations around the top and how it interacts with the bows to consider.  What are us using for bows?  The GPW/MB have a forward floating font bow that hinges off of the back bow.  The original 3A top was mounted on two fixed bows.  The two different style bows interact with the corners differently.

An option would be a summer top for a M38 and a set of M38 bows.  Another options would be to put a request on the Want to Buy part of the 2A Page - someone might just sew you what you are looking for.

You could also check with New Life Canvas and see what they might have.

Again all depends on the bows you have.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:37pm
thanks stev I was going to try to find a set of bows for a GPW the type you mentioned. they mount on the outside of the body and one bow hinges off the other. I don't have any bows at all right now just trying to get some info

thanks
Harry.
Harry Eisenhauer
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:44pm
Harry,
This is a 3A with M38 bows and just the summer portion of my M38 top. You've got me thinking though.  I'm curious if I can put this top on a set of standard 3A bows.  I'll take some measurements...

Edited by athawk11 - 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:50pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 9:50pm
Harry,

I think you will be better off with a M38 bow set up if you have a Cj3A Windshield.  Athawk11's CJ3A looks great with the M38 bows and M38  top.

Stev 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2018 at 10:06pm
Here's my beachwood canvas summertop, posting this as an option for the rear curtain. this is on my 3B using the topbows brand supports.

Edited by jeeper50 - 22 Jan. 2018 at 10:13pm

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

harry E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2018 at 1:37pm
thanks for the reply's on my topic. I am definitely looking for a m38 style top.my jeep is a cj3a and athawk11's jeep is exactly what I am looking for. I plan to make the bows my self. new bows with shipping seems to be a little much. can anyone help with a few measurements the O.D of the tubing for the bows. the overall width of the bows from one side to the other. are booth rear hoops are the same width? I am not sure how to define a radius? I will need to know that. there is a local shop here that builds various types of racecar frames and they can bend any type of tubing. can anyone advise the best place to buy a summer top for an m38? or were not to buy one?
thanks for any advice
Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
 Post Reply Post Reply