Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Canvas tops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 4:14pm
Jpet that is great. Put me in for one of those duster types up above. THat would be perfect. MikeBig smile
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by westforkboyd westforkboyd wrote:

Jeff
I'd be interested in one. This thread will contain the final design, material, and timeline for availability?

Right now I'm just trying to decide what I(we) want to do.  When I(we) decide I'll probably start something in MCP.
Here are some things that everyone should consider before getting a top for their jeep:
1. Is the top just for driving in the rain or sun. (no cold weather driving)
2. Do I want a fully enclosed top for winter.
3. Do I want the top for show (don't expect it to be in the weather)
4. Does my jeep run.  (still in project mode)

I can tell you that I am never afraid to drive GW in pouring down rain with nothing but a Reedikini.  The only place I get just a little wet is on my pants leg.  I assume the wind hits the windshield and tries to swirl behind it.  This only happens when cruising.  Not in town driving so it is a speed/wind issue.  If I had a set of half doors, I would stay completely dry.  Again my pant leg gets just a little wet.  Nothing uncomfortable by any means.  As long as I keep moving, The only disadvantage is that your crew and cargo in the back is unprotected.  My idea of a good rain top would look something like this:

This is a 2 piece original copy, but what I was thinking would be to make it one piece, but, maybe sew that center flap on to make it look like a 2 piece with a zipper, or maybe just to add some character.  By leaving the arch opening in the back it would give it a 2A look and negate the need for a window.  The rear flap may keep a little weather out but if you primarily drive in decent weather, you will really appreciate the ability to see out.  This arched rear would be less expensive.  This picture shows the rear panel wrapping around the bows.  I had thought about omitting that part any maybe just making the back "V" like an MB.  This would save cost on the fasteners.  Doesn't really matter to me though.  What do you guys think?  I could do a full panel and leave an opening for a window like an MB too.  I also like the idea of having the back open because on windy days when the rear flap is installed the top will act like a parachute and the canvas will whip and beat your bows to death.   The top I make would not have the flap on the front roof that wraps around the horizontal rods.  This way you would only need the 7 piece top bow set for the top.  This is all up for debate though.  Doesn't really matter to me.  What do you guys think?
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

I would be very interested, especially if windows or some sort of panel could be added or at least something to keep the rain out..

If all you want is to keep the rain and sun off, this is all you would need IMO.  For that matter a bikini top is pretty adequate for rain especially if you just need some protection for a surprise rain.

If I understand Dennis correctly, he is proposing a half top something like this:

The top would be a half cab with side curtains and the rear arch panel would be sewed into the back of the half cab like the later style 2A tops.  This would be about as easy to make.

I could probably do both bikini tops and dusters

If you are really interested in a full top It may be a good idea to wait.  I'm not saying that I won't go into full tops, but I would prefer not to make dusters that could be retrofitted out (by me) later to become full tops.  I have to hand cut these pieces and I custom fit them, so if I made a partial full top and then made the side curtains later, it is likely that they would not fit.  I am really trying to satisfy a demographic that is just looking for some rain and sun cover first.

I also want to do something that has q quick turn around and satisfies several members quickly.  We have all seen it in the past with Low and the bows, trader_reed and the bikini tops, even me with the window frames.  Our intentions are good, but eventually life gets in the way.  If the projects are small, you can take a break and come back later.  If you take on huge projects, you can't take a break, or else you end up letting someone down.  I can see myself doing full tops in the future but I need more equipment to make the job easier.  That's why I need to do some small projects first to generate some funds to tool up for bigger projects.  I have some canvas projects of my own that I want to do too.

If your jeep is still a project, it may make sense to wait.  I would prefer to supply the guys who need them first.  I promise to make quality products but I also know that the more sewing that I do, the more I learn, the better I get, and I get better and better equipment.

If I make bikini tops, I would follow trader_reeds design.

Materials:

This is what I have in mind for the tops.  It's #8 waterproof cotton duck.  It's the messy smelly stuff.  The binding is 1" wide type 1 webbing like what odcloth, Newlife, and Beachwood use.  I have been  borrowing woody's sewing machine and it works great except that it is not big enough to do straps, and can't go bigger than 8 stitches per inch.
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

.....Did you get a Sailrite machine or ???

I purchased a new machine.  It is a Singer 111W154

This one has a walking foot and 1/2" clearance between the foot and the bed.  This one is perfect for doing vintage jeep tops.  How do I know? ............

Because it is the sewing machine of choice by Willys jeep top makers.Big smile  Thanks Bob W.

If I'm going to offer different fabrics, I may have to do something like Matt did.  You supply the fabric.

I'm still not sure where this will all go.  I have stuff to do to and with my jeeps just like youn's If I was to start making full reproduction tops, I would probably have to trade them for services.  I'd have to put my MB on a trailer and truck it from members house to members house. You guys could work on my resto while I'm making your top. LOLLOLLOL

At your service.

Edited by jpet - 20 Nov. 2010 at 4:49pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 5:00pm
I want the duster type, as in first post. 
Advise if you need payment in advance and how to get it to you.

If you need to borrow the top I have for a pattern, say the word and it will be on the way to you.

Bruce
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 6:42pm
I will buy one  like your drawing.  Or with any changes you deem necessary.  
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 7:07pm
Just wondering,Is the copy on your fine looking jeep made by Beachwood Canvas or Newlife?Smile
willys jeep
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

Just wondering,Is the copy on your fine looking jeep made by Beachwood Canvas or Newlife?Smile

i will answer for jeff here, it is neither, it IS the prototype he made himself :)
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by mullen46cj2a mullen46cj2a wrote:

.....If you need to borrow the top I have for a pattern, say the word and it will be on the way to you.

Thanks Bruce.  I got good patterns.
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

The canvas on my Jeep is a copy of an original early CJ2A top.  NewLife makes a correct one and Beachwood makes a good one that is not historically correct but is still a good looking one.

Edit:  I made the one in the pic with Woody's sewing machine.

Edited by jpet - 20 Nov. 2010 at 7:41pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

i will answer for jeff here, it is neither, it IS the prototype he made himself :)

Actually.  This is another top that I have made for my friend Cheap Jeep (CJ).  It's almost finished.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 9:17pm
Jeff, Great idea! the tough bit is how to get the right mix of duster and original look. The best would be one that could later be fitted with side and rear panels but that would be to much work at first. I think your on the right track. The canvas looks nice and the stitching looks perfect, WELL DONE!!! Offer the OD Canvas and if anyone wants another color have them supply the fabric. I think its great that your gonna make Reedkini's !!!! I'll take a Reedkini in OD canvas like the one I made Art.
Hmmmm thinking about it I've got two bolts of Sunbrella Canvas and all the stuff (straps and hardware) to make 20 Reedkini's in my shop in the US. Maybe we could make a deal?

Matt
Maker of the Reedkini
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 10:29pm

Excellent.Yours looks as good as the one I hope to be receiving in the near future from Beachwood for my CJV-35.It will be the 6 piece top only.Good luck in your venture.Smile

willys jeep
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 10:30pm
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37
1948 1 1/2-2 1/2HP IHC LB
1929 1 1/2 HP SATTLEY HIT MISS

Carpe Diem!!
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 10:33pm
Hi Jeff. Put me in line for one. You do quality work and when you decide to take on full tops let me know as I would like a full top as well.
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37

Carpe Diem!!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:00pm
Well it looks like it would be worth looking into.

If there is an interest in making Reedikini's from sunbrella, maybe I should start a list.  If there are 10 or more, I could have Matt send me his materials.  Matt,  What color is your fabric.  Do you have binding as well?  FWIW, A Reedikini made from sunbrella can be made from most any home sewing machine.  Some of youns may want to contact Matt for materials and make your own.  The OD cotton duck Reedikinis that I make would have 1" wide cotton type III webbing for straps and steel black buckles to give them a vintage look.  If a member is looking for the best function in a bikini top, sunbrella would be your fabric of choice.  If a member want a bikini top that looks vintage and has the canvas smell and what not,  OD waterproof cotton duck is what you want.

If the majority want a duster that can be fitted out for side panels later, I might as well just make an original 2 piece style like what you see GW sporting in the previous pictures.  If I start doing this though, it will be more expensive because there are more fasteners, and more complex seams in the back part of the front roof.  I guess that is an option but I would not be able to turn them out as quick.  It probably would not be too tough to buy the flaps and curtains later.  I would have to leave the turn buttons out of the canvas, and when you receive your rear flap or side curtain, you would have to install the turn buttons yourself.  You can do this easily if you use the "two prong" turn buttons but If you want to use the "single rivet" type like what is in one of my previous pics, you would need a tool to install them.  The "two prong" would work fine but I have not seen them in any CJ2A original canvas.

Somehow I'm going to need to figure out how to poll everyone to see what is most popular.  Right now it looks like I need to get numbers on:
1. Sunbrella Reedikini
2. cotton duck Reedikini
3. cotton duck 1 piece duster
4. cotton duck 2 piece front and rear roof (original style).
5. cotton duck 1 piece half cab (oringina late 2A style) 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:03pm
I am easy to please.  Whatever you settle on is fine with me.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:06pm
ijep
you have it right, i would like a half top with side curtain like in your picture. i have got my bows and door rod made. i have made new socket for the top of the wheels. i wiil have to bolt the sockets in as my jeep is painted. all i left is to sandblast and paint the parts.SmileSmile
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
mix4coal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mix4coal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:07pm
I vote Number 4 (2 piece Front and rear) Sides and rear flap would be a plusBig smile

Edited by mix4coal - 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:09pm
'47 CJ2A # 104985
Bantam Trailer
1953 Dodge M37

Carpe Diem!!
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:08pm
First choice = #4
Second choice = #3
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2010 at 11:35pm
Three for me or four if you decide that.

Either way the arched opening in the back like a Conestoga wagon on Wagon Train is what I'm after.

Thanks Jeff
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>