Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Pattsy's Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capt Pattsy's Project
    Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:17pm
I've had the addiction ever since i layed eyes on 'er about 4 months ago. I've been working pretty dilligently since. I figured now was a good time to show what i've done since.

I was looking at random classified posts and saw one for jeep cj2a parts, It ended up being about 93% of one with lots of parts to spare. It was listed for $275 so i called up the guy and asked the lowest he'd be willing to go? I offered $225, he said "tell you what, i'll give you the whole thing for $150..." I of course accepted. He lived in wyoming about 2 hours away, while i was trying to arrange a way to get it here, he called up and said "i don't feel comfortable with you trying to tow all that stuff with your Rodeo, How would you feel if i loaded her up on my flatbed and brought er out to you?" Once again I accepted. Earnest Is an awesome guy.

Here's one of the pics from the ad.

It came with a body in pretty good shape, 9 axles, 4 radiators, an L-head, F-head, 3 intake/exhaust manifold sets, 2 transmission/transfer case sets, 3 steering columns, and many other extra parts. He sold it all to me in hopes that i'd be able to make a good rig out of it and i could fund my project with the extra parts.

Edited by captianpattson - 26 June 2010 at 8:16pm
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:23pm
Unfortunately I live in a condo complex and don't have a garage to work out of. Luckily the complex i live in does have a fenced yard for recreational vehicle storage that you can rent of $25 a month. Its not easy because there is no power out there Ouch. I work out the the 5x4 water heater closet, my second bedroom, and the back of my truck.
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:41pm

Until school ended i just spent the evenings cleaning up the parts and refinishing them.

My Build Thread
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:43pm

Cool story! Ernest must be an awesome guy if he dropped his price below your lowest offer and then delivered everything too! WOW

Congrats on you project. I wish you luck in your 5x4 WH closet workshop.

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:49pm
He really is, I went out about a month ago to his house in WY and he showed me his 2 fully restored GPWs, 3A he drives regularly, and his three bantam trailers. After a short argument over the price, he sent me home with a full steel hard top for $.05, he had to make change for a dime.

Edited by captianpattson - 26 June 2010 at 8:10pm
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 5:17pm
Here's a couple more pics of 'er

This is what the heap looked like right after i got her. This is my parking spot shop. Earnest also gave me two frames, a '45 and a '49 (i'll get the S/N's later), the 45 frame was pretty bubbafied:

So I'll use the 49 frame (the one leaning against the body)

I'm sure everyone had done it before but i couldn't resist. I kinda put the pieces together to see what she will look like.
My Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

Cool story! Ernest must be an awesome guy if he dropped his price below your lowest offer and then delivered everything too! WOW

Congrats on you project. I wish you luck in your 5x4 WH closet workshop.

Thumbs Up

I agree Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 7:54pm
I had planned on buying a sand blaster and cleaning up the frame but space and finances demanded otherwise. I ended up using a wire wheel on the frame and using rustoleum heavy-rust primer, then finising up with two heavy coats of black rustoleum out of my gun. It turned out pretty good, its nice to see a newly painted surface to give you desire enough to keep going on your fool-hearty money pit of a project Tongue
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 8:02pm

I installed the rear axle and springs, the front is waiting for the steam cleaner before she goes on so for now she's a semi-rolling chassis.

And my lovely wife waiting in the shade:)
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 8:04pm
feel free to comment, criticize, and offer suggestions Smile
My Build Thread
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

I don't think anyone here is shy about any of those three.LOL. Nice work, especially considering the space restrictions you're working with (and I thought it was tough in a 10x20 tentLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
hawkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:10pm

good work on the jeep

cj2a 1948 155822 v6 sold

cj3a 1950 3J45548 4L MB
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:41pm

It's inspiring to see someone willing to do whatever it takes to get a project done. Keep up the good work. It will pay off in the end.

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 9:51pm
Thanks. Its great to have someone who appreciates my appreciation:)
My Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

Bring your wife a chair! LOLBig smile
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:22pm
Something looks odd about your frame. Why are there 3 body mounts per side and I don't see the transmission crossmember mounts. You are building a Cj2a aren't you?
It's Monday and I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Confused
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:57pm
Possibly a 3A frame?? Might want to do a little investigation on frame differences befo0re you get too far..Does your 45 frame have the early characteristic lack of access hole over the rear bump stop? IF so, there are folks who would be glad to take it off your hands. In any case , the frame you have painted will be a great foundation for a fun jeep. The later frames are a bunch stronger. They don't have the rust causing strapping either.

On the subject of weird parts... That intake looks very nice but I am not familiar with one with no drilled vac ports and the brackets on the right side.. Perhaps it is a Genset manifold?  Double check the port sizes and the carb you have.. The genset uses a smaller carb and ports are smaller to restrict the power output..

Definitely...get the wife a seat..wouldn't hurt to get a carport for shade if they will let you, even one of the tent ones would be nice!

Carry on!! Excellent progress so far!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 2:59pm
A 3A frame? I never considered that. the man i bought it from did resore a 3A... It might be a spare part... I do have two types of transmission cross members, a shorter type that bolts to the bottom and the 2A bracket mounted, I just figured they switched over to the 3A method in 49 to simplify construction. Will there be any body mounting issues? I know they moved the rear wheel well back a few inches...

I'll have to see if the 45 frame has a lack of access hole over the bumper stop. I noticed the 45 frame has a 1 inch thick cast iron bumper spacer and the 49 doesn't... I've listed the 45 frame on craigslist for $25. I wish there were more of you guys living around here.

Edited by captianpattson - 28 June 2010 at 3:00pm
My Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>