Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Pattsy's Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2011 at 7:14pm
Dan,
Welcome to the "Terminal Ward"... LOL
Kilroy
p.s.: maybe you could just "borrow" the battery outta Megan's car, I'm sure she won't mind...LOL
Oh, wait, are you still 6vlt.? O.K., she's (Megan) safe...for now... 
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 8:31pm
For those of you who hadn't seen my tech question post on no oil pressure I found the problem. The aftermarket oil pump that was on my block when I got it froze up and 3 of the teeth on the oil pump got broken off. Now I have to drain the oil and get the teeth out. Fun stuff...

'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2011 at 4:19am
Where are you at, have not heard from you in a while?
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2011 at 4:53am
I'm still here:) I started school a few weeks ago so I can only work on it on Saturdays. I drained the oil and dropped the oil pan and cleaned all the metal fragments from the bottom of the pan. I cleaned up the oil pump from the 47 parts jeep and installed it. I unhooked the ignition and tried cranking on the starter but I couldn't get any oil pressure to register.

The only thing I can think of is that I might not have put the gasket on the oil pickup tube when I mounted it on the block last year. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to drop the pan again. I borrowed a snake camera from my future brother-in-law and put it through the drain plug hole, but I couldn't get a good enough picture. So it looks like next saturday I'm going to have to drop the pan again. I'll keep ya'll posted.
My Build Thread
ens_rob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ens_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2011 at 10:23pm
Capt:
I just spent ~ hour reading all 13 pages of your project; your jeep looks awesome!  This thread has got me thinking about how daunting a task it will be for me to get my jeep to the condition I want it. Thanks for the posting your progress and good luck on getting her started!
-Rob 
"Would it kill ya to buy American?"

1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2011 at 4:38am
Originally posted by ens_rob ens_rob wrote:

Capt:
I just spent ~ hour reading all 13 pages of your project; your jeep looks awesome!  This thread has got me thinking about how daunting a task it will be for me to get my jeep to the condition I want it. Thanks for the posting your progress and good luck on getting her started!
-Rob 
Glad I can be of some service. It may seem daunting but its worth it. Everyone told me I was crazy to buy that heap of parts, now everone admires her in the parking spot. Someday they'll admire the nice paint job and smooth ride. Good luck and don't give up.
My Build Thread
Joshuatwatson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2011 at 6:07am
Great work buddy!! I'm as excited to see yours up and going as I am mine!!
sugarboogger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugarboogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2011 at 5:48am
Hi Captian,
Nice job on the jeep. I remember seeing all those parts on Ksl. At least I think thats were I saw them?
Hope you get the Windshield problem worked out.
Again NICE JOB!Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2015 at 9:03pm
Hey all! Its been quite a while since I've been able to work on my rig but I took it out of my dads barn over the weekend and am going to start working on her again. Since I talked to you last I graduated from college with a degree in bioengineering. I decided to start my own business in manufacturing (machining). I now live in St. Georgen and work as a CNC machinist during the day and do my own machine shop at night. I've got 3 girls now with a boy due in December (I'm only 29!, must be something in the Utah water!). Anyways I'm looking forward to starting up on my rig again and look to you guys and your success for inspiration.
My Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2015 at 9:42pm
Welcome back!
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2015 at 1:12am
Wow, you are very ambitious. It has taken me many years to complete what you basically did in a couple of years. So where are you in your project, last post I saw you had oil pressure issues and you found the culprit. Did you fire it up? Finally drove mine 3 mile since the tear down. A wonderful day. At the speed you work it shouldn't be long before your maiden voyage. More pics. Kids, moving, school, life, your plate is full
Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:49pm
After another year and a half of sitting in the garage, I've been hitting it pretty hard lately. It took me a while to get my CNC shop off the ground but its doing good lately and I've been needing a diversion from the 14-16 hour days. 
I redid the timing a couple times, put some fresh gas in it and it fired up. At first I was worried about the oil pressure but not long after starting up the oil filter canister started spraying oil into the fan and all over everything. 20lbs on the gauge. I've straitened out the windshield frame, put in new 12v headlights and my lovely wife even help me do the wiring! I decided since all my wheel cyclinders, drums, and shoes all need to be replaced to just do a disc brake conversion as it doesn't require any altering of the original parts and the original system can be reinstalled if desired. I just need to make it stop and finish the electrical and she'll be on the road. Here's a pic of Daniel III. I can't believe I've had 4 kids since I started this project!

My Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:55pm
Nice!!  I hope you keep at it enough so that Daniel III is not the first driver.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:52am
Welcome back (Again!) LOL

4 kids! Shocked You're going to have to get your wife a flat fender so the both of you can drive with 2 each so no one gets upset about not riding in it! TongueLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 1:55am
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Welcome back (Again!) LOL

4 kids! Shocked You're going to have to get your wife a flat fender so the both of you can drive with 2 each so no one gets upset about not riding in it! TongueLOL

Brilliant! Impeccable logic, now I just need to get Megan to see the genius of it
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:55pm
Nearly done with the rear axle upgrade. I pulled the driver axle shaft and found some twisted splines.

So I pulled one from a donor and all is well. 
I installed the first disc brake assembly from a Geo Tracker. After a bunch of reading I decided to go with 1/2" steel so I wouldn't have to use spacers. Luckily it worked out perfectly. The only things I had to modify to work was the grease keeper and the brake disc. Since you are moving the seal and grease keeper out by about 3/8" it will then hit the hub. I had to press it shorter to about 1" tall and then grind the I.D. roundish again to clear the hub. 
A bunch of reading I did suggested drilling out the hub holes to 9/16" for a better fit over the studs but the stud splines stuck out of the front of the hub about 3/16" so I had to drill them out to 5/8".

After that everything went together swimmingly.

Brake hoses come today then the rear axle should be wrapped up.
My Build Thread
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:45pm
Cool! I am leaning towards the disc brake swap and it is great that you posted pictures! Thank you.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:50pm
Are the brake hoses you are using custom or did you use the Geo tracker hoses?
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>