Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Pattsy's Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 5:54pm
Left ya a message on your phone re the frame... I should be nearby next week.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:37pm
I've done a little investigation work, one of the main differences between the 2a and 3a frame is that the driver side engine mount bracket was moved forward a couple inches, i've measured both and the are the same distance to the front of the frame.

There are also three sets of body mounts. I looked on the bottom of the body and there is a third set of holes in the bit of flange on the front of the bed. The distances between the sets of holes all match the frame.
the tags on the frame say S/N CJ2A 223032 and Body# 194580. I guess they changed to a frame style similar to the 3a sometime in '49. That makes me happy, i don't have to track down a new engine mount plate... 
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
Rory Kew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rory Kew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 2:42pm

Good work, the bug has bitten!

Its great to see your wife enjoying the process too

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 3:30pm
The rectangular frame on your battery support is "add-on", if it matters.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2010 at 3:59pm
I noticed it was made of angle iron. I would have taken it off but the original support was almost gone and I didn't want to deal with it for now. He also make a lovely matching top bracket for the top of the battery:)
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 2:54am
Had the whole day to myself so I put it to good use.
I installed the front springs on the axle then the axle on the frame. It only came with 3 tires so i had to use the spare from my m416. The 3 are 15" rims and the trailer has 16" so its a little lop sided. I'll go to the wrecking yard this weekend and get a matching 15". This axle also had a chrome diff cover, i was going to swap it with one from my spare axle but after thinking about it I though, what the heck, it just adds character. Also installed the new gabriel gas shocks. I dig the red to contrast the frame:)
I also found out that my good bellcrank and drag link from the '45 won't work. I've already located a late link but no luck yet on the crank...
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 6:36pm
Didn't do much today. Just put on the motor/transmission mounts and installed the skid plate. I also got the elusive woodruff key for the clutch pedal arm, (I lost both keys to both of my frames, I hate working in the dirt Dead)

Edited by captianpattson - 30 June 2010 at 6:42pm
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 6:49pm
Oops, I think I installed the plate on backwards... I fix it...
My Build Thread
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:59pm
Did all CJ2A's come with the skid plate on the cross-member???

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 8:20pm

I would assume so, I pulled this skid plate off a '45 and it fit the holes on the crossmember on this '49

My Build Thread
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 8:45pm
The skid plate is in all three parts lists (45, 47 and 49) and was not an optional item but is listed with the frame assembly.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 11:09am
WOW! You have really made some progress!
You must be in a hurry!

Big smile
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2010 at 4:24pm
Working outside, I've got to beat the school semester and Salt Lakes snowy season...
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 3:25pm
After getting back from camping I found some self-bought presents waiting for me. A new drag link and master cylinder. I should be getting the bell crank and steering wheel in the next couple of days, then I'll have a really steerable rolling chassis.

I also found some time-killers waiting for me underneath the hat channels...

My Build Thread
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 3:29pm
Was good to visit, hope the jeep keeps rolling along like it is now..I see you have done more work since yesterday afternoon! 

How are you cleaning the old paint and rust off your parts out there in the parking lot? Stuff looks great that ya painted!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 3:38pm
Wire wheel on a grinder. Luckily the paint has turned to dust so it comes off pretty easy. If its an exposed part I'll use some rustoleum heavy rust primer.
My Build Thread
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 9:58pm
Don't throw away that rusted floor you will need it as a pattern and a guide to install your hat channels.  I hope you also saved your hat channels, I see where you drilled out the spot welds.

Edited by ralf - 08 July 2010 at 10:01pm
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 10:10pm
Thats a good idea ralf. I got my new/used bell crank today and the stuff to run new brake lines. It'll be a day or two before i get back to the body. I don't mind stitch welding but this going to be a bit tedious...
My Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>