Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capt Pattsy's Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2010 at 11:03pm
Looking good, I see your package arrived.
If I knew you need a steering wheel, I would have thrown one in the box.Ermm
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 7:15pm
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/frame-change-from-2a-to-3a-style_topic7191.html
Just some fun info about your frame if you haven't seen it..

Sireland, he sure does need a steering wheel. He's gonna need a grip likle a gorilla to turn that little stub of a wheel that's left...Wink

Anyone who says they can't work on their jeep until they get a garage needs to see this thread.

By the way, old plywood and truck mud flaps are great for catching those loose parts and they hold up a little better than cardboard or tarps. Overlap or duct tape the edges to prevent losing small stuff in the cracks. If you have a sign supply  shop anywhere nearby you could always check on sheets of Coroplast for a work surface, They are plastic and very easy to scoot around on underneath the jeep when you get that far. 10 mm 4 by eight sheets are about $40 each but the thin 4 mm stuff is only about $10 a sheet and just as slick.   Jacks and stands will go thru the stuff tho, the best temporary setup would be 3 sheets of 3/4 plywood with a coroplast "creeper".
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 8:52pm
Took off the wrong tie rods and put on the "right" ones and now I have this lovely pigeon toe effect. I'm not sure what to do now. I tried to tighten one of the tie rod ends that had a little thread left and i almost bent my wrench trying to get it off...

On the upside I got my copper washers today and I ran all my new brake lines yesterday, so apart from my missing master cylinder rod, they brake system is nearing a close...
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 9:04pm
I measured my right tie rod to be 20 inches long, the one walcks has listed it 18 3/4 inch long, could this be my culpret? I measured the left one to be 18 1/2 inches and walks' is 17 1/2 inch... I think that might be my extra 2 1/2 inch pigeon toe. Unfortunately all new parts will be another $100.

Question: Should the bell crank arm that connects to the tie rod be pointing exactly straight when the wheels are straight?
My Build Thread
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 10:08pm
You could just order the tubes for $12.00 each and put your tie rods in them.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2010 at 10:28pm
Walcks has em $11.99 each.  But complete kit left and right only $66.90.  I would hate to put old ends and clamps on new sleeves.  This is both a very visible and critical part.

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

I measured my right tie rod to be 20 inches long, the one walcks has listed it 18 3/4 inch long, could this be my culpret? ...
Yep.  The tie rods you pulled are for earlier knuckles w/separate steering arms.  You need the shorter ones for later knuckles w/integral steering arms.

Early:
640179 - ROD, tie, steering, left (18 1/2" long) (Up to Serial No. 22972)
640180 - ROD, tie, steering, right (20 1/8" long) (Up to Serial No. 22972)

Late:
642058 - ROD, tie, steering, left (17 1/4" long) (After Serial No. 22972)
642059 - ROD, tie, steering, right (18 7/8" long) (After Serial No. 22972)

Quote Question: Should the bell crank arm that connects to the tie rod be pointing exactly straight when the wheels are straight?
Yes.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 3:24pm
Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks Sean.
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 4:11pm
I ended up forking out the $70 for all new tie rods and ends. I figure once its all together I'll be dealing with steering issues anyway, may as well get this one out of the way now.
My Build Thread
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:34pm
Good choice, you don't want to skimp on the steering or brakes.
While you are waiting on parts, now would be a good time to check the wheel bearings and king pin bearings.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

I ended up forking out the $70 for all new tie rods and ends. I figure once its all together I'll be dealing with steering issues anyway, may as well get this one out of the way now.
Hang on to the other ones, & the axle they came from.  It may be original to your '45 frame.

You might even have the '45 D-23 rear axle in that pile.

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 2:44pm
F Bill came out last week and picked up the 45 frame. I do have the 45 front axle though with the separate steering arms and longer tie rods. Ernest was sure to take off the full-floater before he sold it to me, that was the only part he wanted.
My Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 12:41am
I got a package in the mail a couple of days ago. I bought a new, non broken, front housing for my T/C and steering wheel from Bruce. I spent all yesterday and today getting the thing on. Plus I cleaned and painted the transmission/transfercase, put in new oil seals and gaskets. I'm still waiting on the transmission gasket set and whole new set of shifter knobs.
Don't worry I plugged the holes and replaced the seals after i painted.
My Build Thread
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 3:22am
wow, you're rocking along.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 7:33pm
Thanks for the encouragement :)

Nothing special today. Just installed the rear driveline. I did the first one with a hammer and socket until i realized i was a moron and did it with a c-clamp in 1/4 of the time without screwing anything up... no pun intended :)

darn water spots messing up my pretty new paint.

She's starting to look like something, still waiting on the new tie rods to finish up the steering. Plus I still don't have a place to weld the floor panels... and... still waiting on the dude with the steam cleaner for the block.

If it looks really hot and sunny in the pics, your absolutely right :)
My Build Thread
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 8:29pm
Looking pretty good to me.Thumbs Up Will your condo association let you put up one of those "garage tents"? That's where I built mine. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 8:38pm
Yeah, its out of the way but I'm on a poor college students budget. I probably shouldn't even be working on a project like this but we decided it was ok since we qualified for Obamas first time homebuyer tax credit thing. There are some things I'll just have to do without for now. Shade is just one of them...
My Build Thread
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 7:41pm
looks awesome...you are cooking!!!!
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>