Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carb question metering rod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb question metering rod
    Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 3:49am
my jeep was running fine with no issues but sometimes when I would shut it off after warming it up and driving it somewhere I would shut it off and about 15-20 minutes later if I went to start it it would be hard to start act like it was either flooded or maybe the coil is overheating and not sparking properly. I have a 160-degree thermostat driving it normally stays around 180 degrees and when I shut it off the temperature continues to climb until it reaches just shy of 220

I was thinking it was probably flooding out after getting hot after shutting off to boil the fuel out of the carburetor and down into the motor flooding it so thinking that was my issue I lowered the float level in the carburetor just a little bit but now it has a hard time wanting to stay idling like it's running out of gas I think I heard somewhere a while back that anytime you remove the top of the carburetor you need to readjust the metering rod am I correct in thinking I read this or should I just raise the float level again

The carburetor was rebuilt about a year ago by me and has been running fine ever since other than this sometimes shut off in hard to start it is only after about 20 minutes and if you let it sit till it even gets to 180 it'll start just fine and be normal but when it gets up to around 2:20 after sitting for shut it after shutting off and then it's hard to start and I still have the Carter wo carburetor

My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 6:14am
go to scout pilots site. He'll answer that question.  oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 8:38am
Check into the fuel you are using as well. Some are lucky and can find gas without ethanol in it.
uncamonkey
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Nobodyjeff5888 Nobodyjeff5888 wrote:

go to scout pilots site. He'll answer that question.  oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

X2!!!!!
Gary

51 CJ-3A
 Post Reply Post Reply