Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carter WO Carburator Rebuild Adjustments...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McChip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter WO Carburator Rebuild Adjustments...
    Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 6:55am
I am rebuilding a Carter Carburetor for my 1948 CJ2A. It is a WO. Are there any adjustment specifications that I can use to substitute for the special tools required to set pump stroke and adjust metering rod? I believe I can adjust the float level without the prescribed gauge because they provide me a direct measure (1/2"), but I have no way to properly adjust the pump stroke or metering rod without the special tools called out in the rebuild directions. Any advice? Thank you so much In advance!
jijk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jijk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 1:09pm
Check out this site.  Should be able to find everything your looking for.

1946 CJ2A #55729
1948 CJ2A #172606
1952 Willys Truck
1945 Bantam #380
1946 Bantam #2629
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 3:02pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 4:05am
Welcome to the page, McChip!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
McChip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McChip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 6:22am
Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely try out those links.
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2019 at 2:23pm
    McChip,

welcome to the 2A page. It sounds like you are pretty confident with getting the float dialed-in. I haven't rebuilt a WO since 1984 and that '46 got sold-off when my son was delivered. (no health insurance at that time).

I swear, after rebuilding the L134, it ran so quiet while idling, I sometimes had to put my hand on the hood to see if the engine was running.

The only trail I have had to lower my float, was for the Rubicon. And that was because of the 'constant' jostling up and down causing lots of Slosh of the fuel in the carb.   The result of the lower level on the pavement, is I would get a little bit of stumble off-line. And that was a quick reset, because that carb was motorcraft 2-bbl on a 304, and the top comes right off.
     Best my memory suits me, I would drop the level 1/8-inch.

I like it when the guru's can point us to a Helpful Link of info. :)
That is what makes it nice to exchange helpful dialogue between those of us with a passion for these little tractors. _ _ the "side-by-side" of it's Day.

( I've been restoring a '95 Honda Passport for use as a daily driver ) sic.
    The value of the vehicle is not worth what I have invested, but no different than the $$$$ we pump into our little Willy's projects.
    I would say from snooping around the "net" that a person may be looking at somewhere of $75 to $125 for a good Rebuildable core WO carb today.
    My current '46 came with a clone of the Solex version carburetor , and I am hell-bent on getting it dialed-in. Hopefully this spring.
    I bookmarked russnj's linked page too. thanks russ
    Keep us posted, and again welcome.

Len

Edited by Greaser007 - 24 Jan. 2019 at 2:28pm
unclemoak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclemoak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 4:23am
If it were me these are the things I would do:

1. clean all the jets and orifices in the carb
2. Set the Float to 3/8"
3. Set the accelerator pump to 17/64" of travel (easier done with a rule that reads in 64ths)
4. Set the metering rod (you need the correct tool to do this)

Using the vacuum method, to tune the engine. This requires the use of a vacuum gauge connected to the port at the rear of the intake manifold.
1. Set the timing to pull max vacuum
2. Set the idle mixture screw to pull max vacuum
3. set the idle linkage screw to the rpm you want (usually around 675rpm)
*you may have to run through these whole tuning process a few times to get the strongest running motor.

How to set the accelerator pump and metering rod:

McChip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McChip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 2:03am
Hey, this is exactly what I needed to get things dialed in right! Thank you so much for your help!!! Sorry for the late response, I just now have a few moments to work on it again. I very much appreciate your help and the YouTube links.
 Post Reply Post Reply