Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Brakes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caveat Emptor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caveat Emptor
    Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 1:05am
I  am not here to badger the third party (a G503 member) nor the vendor (which is a regular for members here), but if anyone is in the market for wheel cylinders, please take note, and head my warnings...

Thus far on my '45 rebuild, only TWO things have been installed that are "off-shore", one was a bearing in the transfercase that came again, from a specific vendor, because a "made in the USA" bearing was not available.....

and the second was 4 wheel cylinders i bought NEW, but second hand from a 3rd party. They have been installed on the vehicle now for 8 months, and yesterday i finally was able to install brake fluid....

Thanks be to God that i am using DOT5 (silicone) brake fluid, which will not eat paint, since 2 of the 4 wheel cylinders allowed fluid past the rubber seal internally, and allowed the fluid to run down, over NEW brake shoes, and eventually out the backing plate, onto the freshly paited wheel, then over new tires onto the ground....

This is just a reminder, ASK!!!!!! if they are off-shore, in my case Chinese made, and if they are, refuse them.........

I will remove all 4 next week, as i can only imagine the true issue lies withing the tolerances of the poor metal machining...

low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 3:31am

Sorry to learn of your trouble,..I'd be furious too. Thanks for the warning.   Al

1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 4:07pm
Poor machining?? Or crappy quality rubber in the cups/seals??
BOULDER 48 2A
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 4:33pm
right Terry, one or the other, it will be a week or so before i can get them out to inspect them, floor was soaked again this morning :(
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 4:37pm
THAT SUCKS .......

LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING TO GO TO NAPA AND GET THE WAGNER BRAND  Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by hillbilly21 hillbilly21 wrote:

THAT SUCKS .......

LOOKS LIKE YOUR GOING TO GO TO NAPA AND GET THE WAGNER BRAND  Wink

i would if my local NAPA had counter people capable of looking in the old books collecting dust on the counter, instead of tapping a keyboard to a defunct at best computer system, coming up with the same answer everytime... "sorry sir, the computer shows nothing for that model".......
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 8:40pm
NAPA front UP7379, rear UP7568, Rock Auto W7379 and W7586. Cheaper at Rock Auto by far.
BOULDER 48 2A
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 8:56pm
thx terry, i will check into it.
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2008 at 9:15pm
FYI the correct napa parts numbers UP 7379 and UP 7568
here is the parts site for napa
http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(siylqb55sj0nv5vfputitf55))/Welcome.aspx

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2008 at 1:53am
While on the topic of brake items..... what numbers do you all suggest for the Master Cylinder on a CJ2A?

Has anyone out there actually tried Silicone Brake Fluid and NOT LIKED IT? I've used it in several vehicles and have given up using it. While I like all the stated plusses, it has given me constant trouble. Yes, I've used fresh items, clean lines the whole works..... soft pedals or lost levels. I know Billy Thompson from White Post Restorations in White Post, VA tells people to avoid it. His experience is that about half the people have some real problems with it and maybe half don't. Looks like I'm definitely in the wrong half!

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas! It wasn't a white one here in western PA which is pretty uncommon.... in fact, rain is actually pouring down tonight and there isn't a snow flake in sight - or in the forecast!

Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2008 at 12:35am
When I rebuilt replaced my entire brake system, which included all new steel and rubber lines, wheels cyls, shoes, fittings, and MC, I put in the silicone brake fluid. That was two years ago. No problems so far.

Could you expand on "it has given me constant trouble."? What trouble did you have?
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2008 at 11:37am
Most ongoing problem for me has pretty much been just an overall pedal softness or problems with keeping the system bled and "up." I'm talking similiar problems on more than one vehicle over more than one year. Meanwhile, other vehicles rebuilt the same way, i.e. new parts, lines etc. that I haven't used silicone fluid in are doing super with no problems! One of the most frustrating and annoying things to be sure. I've enlisted the assistance of more than one friend to see if they could determine something that I was missing, but they too could not explain what was happening. In fact, the one guy working with me to do the system on a 54 Kaiser is a trained, and experienced, diesel mechanic/engine rebuilder etc. Like I said, I always liked the many positive benefits of using silicone brake fluid, but have given up on it and returned to the "old style" because it works for us! Crazy, but true....  I would guess that if you were to check out the website for White Post Restorations you would find a more detailed and extensive explanation of some of the varied and expensive problems that silicone fluid has caused other antique car owners. I know at Hershey the owner, Billy Thompson has a handout sheet that he makes available for those trying to weigh what direction they want to go on a rebuild job. (White Post does a big business in resleeving cylinders etc. so they see lots of brake items). In the end, I always tell those who ask to simply do what works best for them, but I've had my fill of silicone - at least for now! lol
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
Wavy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2008 at 6:31pm
I have a 56 Chev that I worked on restoring for many years and almost every time I would try to move it the brakes would lock up. One of the Cylinders would corrode and freeze up. When the Military changed to silicone fluid I tried this and never had a problem again. You are right in the spongy pedal but they still work. One big thing was air bubbles in the fluid. We had to be careful when handling the silicone not to shake the bottle. I use it today. My chev gets on the road maybe  2 or 3 times a year but never any brake problems
Do it now, think later!

1945 CJ2A

1947 CJ
1974 CJ5
1999 Commanche P/U
 Post Reply Post Reply