Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CFFC Fall Color Tours 2019! - Event Date: 15 Sep. 2019 - 20 Sep. 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 10:46pm
So, when do the scalpers start selling their places!Dead
BOULDER 48 2A
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

No doubt May 2, Terry!
Tom
1949 CJ3A

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 11:04pm
Well, I probably don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting picked to go, but my registration will be in the mail tomorrow.

Missed last year because the trailer I had planned to use didn't arrive in time. That is how my luck goes...

I do understand the reasoning for putting a limit on the number of participants. Frankly, I am amazed that limits weren't established some time ago.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

Originally posted by TERRY TERRY wrote:

No doubt May 2, Terry!

Yeah!  Scalpers!  Why didn't I think of that?  And if they don't give me 60% then they don't get to pick the replacement.  What an idea! 

NOT!!!
SE Kansas CJ2A, I'm sorry you missed last year too, but then I'm also glad.  Then we'd have had 69 Jeeps.  Yup, just too many.  But don't despair.  If you look at the odds of getting to go they are far better than you may think.  Let's say I get 70 registrations.  I've got 50 slots to fill.  50 divided by 70 gives me 0.71 or 71%.  So you have a 7 in 10 chance of getting a lucky registration.  Show me a lottery with those odds and I'll be buying every ticket I can.  

And speaking of "buying" your ticket, for anyone contemplating sending a "donation" to sweeten the odds of selection, well, let me explain how that works.  You see, the registration will go into the registration folder, and the "donation" will go into the expenses folder.  They will forevermore be separated and disassociated with each other.  The random number generator will pick your number, and that's the number you'll get.  So save the "donation" until you arrive here next fall.  

So Lee, what do you want me to do with the green that you sent me???

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 1:41am
Wow Mike, 68 jeeps, that's a lot. The most I have had is 7 here at the Oregon Spring Fling. I have always wanted more but there is no way I could handle that. I don't blame you for cutting it off at 50 as That is still a lot but it sounds like you have helpers which  I am sure is a big help. I will come join you someday soon I hope. Good luck and happy Jeepin
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 12:34pm
Yes Mike, life was a lot easier when there was just a dozen of us.  Not so many breakdowns.  Didn't take up a quarter mile of road trying to park the group.  We could all fit in a small viewpoint.  Only took a minute for everyone to arrive at our lunch spots.   And my tail gunner wasn't 3 miles behind me, he was only 300 yards behind me. 

But you know what?  Now our circle of friends has really grown very large.  I've been able to learn some new things from the good folks who have joined us in the last few years.  And over the decade plus that we've been doing this, I estimate we've had over 200 Jeeps and over 350 people participate at least once.  I'm glad to be able to share the trails that we enjoy here in this part of Colorado.  And I enjoy seeing the smiles on driver's faces when they discover just how steep a hill their Jeep can climb, or how deep a creek they can ford, or how high in elevation their Jeep can go while still running well.  So it's worth it to me, but it is a lot of work to make it all go smooth.  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 12:42pm
I think I might not bring a jeep this year (if chosen). On these types of trails, I like riding and having someone to talk to more than driving.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 1:38pm
But Qwaazy Seven's doesn't sound right.

You are correct though. Riding in a different Jeep with a different  person has been very rewarding over the years. Thank you to everyone that has tolerated my hitching a ride on a trail.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 3:16pm
Mike, I can't even really know how much work it takes but can imagine based on reading prion years.  Part of what makes it work for you is your location and spread.  Maybe more helpers volunteer and have a spring and a fall event?  I know that's probably asking a lot, but just a suggestion. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by mickeykelley mickeykelley wrote:

Mike, I can't even really know how much work it takes but can imagine based on reading prion years.  Part of what makes it work for you is your location and spread.  Maybe more helpers volunteer and have a spring and a fall event?  I know that's probably asking a lot, but just a suggestion. 

The only problem with this idea is that at those elevations, there is no Spring.  Winter ends sometime in mid July.LOL
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 5:50pm
mickeykelley, thank you for the suggestions.  For all the work involved in getting ready, running, and closing it down, there's just no way I'd want to do this twice a year, and no guarantee I would cut the crowd in half.  Heck, I'd probably get everyone coming back twice each year!!  Besides, like Hawk said, winter stays late in the high country so many of the best roads stay closed until summer. May is when we get some of our heaviest snows.  Cottonwood Pass often is not open until Memorial Day, and then you're driving between 8 foot snow banks.  So our spring Jeeping would be limited to roads in the valley and there aren't many of them.  As for helpers, I've got 3 of the best with Kate, and Bruce, and Ron.  And I'm not bashful about getting early arrivals to do some of the prep work, like moving stuff, or cleaning in the shop.  The help I get from volunteers means a lot to me, and certainly lightens my load.  But the more folks who come, the larger my workload.  And that's OK to a point. Last year took me beyond that point.  This year will bring it back within reason.  I hope! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2019 at 8:58pm
Howdy ya'll from North Texas. Good gosh Mike you only posted a few days ago and we are already on page 2! As soon as I can get ink for my dang printer I'll be sending in my registration as well. If we are lucky enough to get a spot we will be there early again (ahh the luxury of retired life). Last year was totally awesome, we saw a moose on day 1 and the pot luck dinner was fantastic. The only Debbie downer was that I didn't to get jam at camp with JPET. Hope that all changes in 2019. I will always have a seat open for anyone needing a ride.
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 12:59pm
I know what you mean George, I guess there's lots to say.  And I sure agree with you about retired life.  Of course it helps if you have a good retirement income too.  I'm feeling doubly blessed to have both a comfortable retirement, and so many good Jeeping friends who'd like to join us for the Fall Color Tours. But being able to Jam with Jpet (sounds like a concert title) has been a tough thing in the last couple years.  That young man has just been all over the place and hasn't taken the time to share tunes like we used to.  Maybe if we get him to bring the General instead of BamBam, then he'd spend a few evenings in camp with his guitar.  I think that would be lots of fun.  George, do you suppose you could encourage a few more musicians to pack instruments along so we could have a jam night or two? 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 7:42pm
I agree with you. I know what you mean about our friend Jeff. I follow him as many others do on the website and that man is on the go almost all the time. I will see what I can do to get more interest in the all new jug band for a few nights of fun. Sounds great to me though. I may get a separate thread going so as to not pirate this event thread. Stay warm and hopefully we will "See you in September" See already a song! (Beach Boys)
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 1:25am
As a one time participant I really appreciate what Mike and Nancy have done. Mike set up my FRS radio, Nancy helped me keep my WV pepperoni rolls refrigerated. Do understand the need to limit the number of people/jeeps to some manageable number. The CFCT is something that has made the world a better place (at least my world). Would be more than happy to have a participant fee to help cover the costs I know Mile and Nancy have to pay (and/or to cover additional help).

3A Steve
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 6:05am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I think I might not bring a jeep this year (if chosen). On these types of trails, I like riding and having someone to talk to more than driving.

You've driven the trails so many times, you could lead a group if necessary.  Thumbs Up

Originally posted by 3A Steve 3A Steve wrote:

Would be more than happy to have a participant fee to help cover the costs I know Mike and Nancy have to pay

This is why I bought so many raffle tickets last year.  The cool hat and the Willys pickup (Matchbox, but still...) were just bonuses! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 8:05am

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I'm up for just riding.  This fall the MVPA is holding TMC 2019, the 100th anniversary of the Army's 1919 Lincoln Highway expedition from Wash DC to San Fran.  It ends on 15 Sep.  My plan is to head directly from there to Nathrop.   Me and my MB will both be very tired but FCT is just too fun to miss.  I'm a walk-in if my number doesn't hit, subject to host approval.

You folks with military jeeps -- we have a layover on 30 August in Laramie and another on 5 Sep in Tooele.  Fallon on the 10th.  Think about joining up -- a few days or the rest of the way to SF.  You civvy jeep guys... hop a ride!  Lots of open seats.  Convoys are a blast too.  I met our esteemed host on the Alaska trip.  Can he and Electro-Willys squeeze in a brief stint on this one?  Be a huge honor for me to bum a ride.

Sorry - enough hijack.

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 12:08pm
3A Steve, I don't want to charge a participation fee or any kind of fee because then I'm starting to run a business.  I don't want a business, I want good Jeeping friends to join me cruising in the mountains and enjoying the fall colors.  Donations and Raffle ticket sales cover our expenses, like table and chair rental, porta-potties, trash disposal, electricity, Jeep parts, etc..  

Thanks Ol' Unreliable for buying so many tickets.  Maybe next time you'll get to win one of the grand prizes.  

Alan you continue to amaze me with the ideas you come up with.  In this instance it's walk-in-folks.  I've been kinda focused on limiting the number of Jeeps, and I haven't even thought about folks who might just show up without a Jeep and hitch rides where there's an empty seat.  And yet, I think every year since year 3 we've had folks join us without their Jeep.  So let's do this.  We'll take walk-ins but I still need a registration form and waiver from them.  I don't think there will be many, so this year there will be no limit on walk-ins.  If you know you're coming as a walk-in, please send in a registration form early so I can add you to the computer list.  You will not need a random number to attend.  If you send in a registration to come with a Jeep, and get on the alternates list, you can come as a walk-in.  We'll just cross your Jeep off your form.  

Geez Alan, you're making me do a lot of thinking for 5 am in the morning. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>