Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

child saftey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: child saftey
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:17am
   My grandson is 2 1/2 years old and I am wanting to take him with me when I take the cj2a out for rides. My question is how do you guys and gals do it to make it safe as possible when you take the little ones out with you. I don't have seat belts and don't want to modify it to install them. I was thinking of using tie down straps and securing a toddler seat to the rear seat using the draw bar for a anchor point but would like to hear of some other ideas. I should also mention I wont be on any fast traffic roads while he is with me.

Thanks in advance,   Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:41am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

My grandson is 2 1/2 years old and I am wanting to take him with me when I take the cj2a out for rides. My question is how do you guys and gals do it to make it safe as possible when you take the little ones out with you. I don't have seat belts and don't want to modify it to install them. I was thinking of using tie down straps and securing a toddler seat to the rear seat using the draw bar for a anchor point but would like to hear of some other ideas. I should also mention I wont be on any fast traffic roads while he is with me.

Thanks in advance,   Jim

That is exactly what I did with our granddaughter at that age, car seat set on the back seat, run a ratchet strap from the drawbar between the tailgate and floor, up around the car seat and back to the drawbar. That being said, she loved it!, but the hum of the go-devil quickly puts them to sleep ... I have pictures of this but my PC is in the hospital for repairs and I cannot post them.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:18am
In most states to be legal your going to have to have 3 point attachment with an approved seat. I sure wouldn't consider a ratchet strap to the draw bar as equal to what the law in Oregon requires. I would find out what your state laws are and go from there.

Personally I wouldn't have a passenger in my Willys without a damn good seat belt. And plan to equip mine accordingly.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:00am
Put in the seat belts (3-point type) and enjoy the time with your grandkids safely.
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:54am
Every man is free to make his own decisions, assign his own responsibilites and assume his own risks...
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

In most states to be legal your going to have to have 3 point attachment with an approved seat. I sure wouldn't consider a ratchet strap to the draw bar as equal to what the law in Oregon requires. I would find out what your state laws are and go from there.

Personally I wouldn't have a passenger in my Willys without a damn good seat belt. And plan to equip mine accordingly.

Ok, before doing this I contacted the office of the Minnesota State Patrol and spoke to the on duty officer personally. He said in a vehicle that was not designed for seat belts and has NO factory engineered points to mount them to, a seatbelt is not a requirement for adult or child. I then told him of my plan and he told me he was not against it, and most likely in a court of law it would be viewed as an attempt on your part to be safe, just as non engineered seatbelt mounts. I then contacted a buiseness in Minneapolis that builds streetrods and asked what they do and was told they worked with a couple engineering firms on this issue as it's a liability issue. Yes it adds cost!..... Do as you wish, personally on an open vehicle without a rollbar I would rather Not be strapped into it!, that's my choice as well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Ok, before doing this I contacted the office of the Minnesota State Patrol and spoke to the on duty officer personally. He said in a vehicle that was not designed for seat belts and has NO factory engineered points to mount them to, a seatbelt is not a requirement for adult or child. I then told him of my plan and he told me he was not against it, and most likely in a court of law it would be viewed as an attempt on your part to be safe, just as non engineered seatbelt mounts. I then contacted a buiseness in Minneapolis that builds streetrods and asked what they do and was told they worked with a couple engineering firms on this issue as it's a liability issue. Yes it adds cost!..... Do as you wish, personally on an open vehicle without a rollbar I would rather Not be strapped into it!, that's my choice as well.

Lee

No roll bar? No seat belts? That's not nanny state approved. I suppose you fold the windscreen down too
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:52pm
Yep we can all do as we please. Dad put a roll bar in Chug before we did any thing with the Salem Jeep club back in the mid 1960's as well as seat belts for every seat (I even added a set in the middle up front in High school when the girls would sit at an angle next to me).

Yes I know all about the Well if it rolls over argument. And as I have said before there are so many types of accidents that a person could get thrown out of a vehicle that do not involve a roll over I see seat belts as the higher percentage.

But
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:42pm
This is the same problem I've been struggling with. My 2 year old loves the jeep and want to ride in it. We've been on some trips around the neighborhood, but I haven't figured out how to attach his car seat in the back and have it be safe. The fact is nowhere in the jeep is safe in a wreck. If somebody hits it it will fold up like a coke can. I tell my wife it's like riding a motorcycle, only slower, less maneuverable, and no helmet. It used to never bother me but as I get older I think more about it. On the other hand, it must have not bothered my dad too much as we grew up riding in it with no car seat at all. That was before cell phones and texting too.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 4:03pm
Even though cars and trucks built before January 1, 1965 are exempt under Kansas law requiring seat belts, I do have them installed for the drivers and passengers seats and I do wear them in everyday street use. However, I do not wear them in an off-road situation where there is little danger of being hit by other traffic. If she rolls, I want to be free of the rig and not under her. I will add that I do not go sideways on hills, only up or down the grade. My grandchildren are all old enough to not require safety seats, but I can see how that would be a concern.

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 19 May 2017 at 7:48pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:26pm
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/a-little-project-update-on-chug-a-lug_topic33676_page27.htmlo

this will show what I did for rear seat belts might give some ideas. For the front I just drilled mounting holes and used large thick washers like 3" D.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:50pm

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/a-little-project-update-on-chug-a-lug_topic33676_page27.htmlo

this will show what I did for rear seat belts might give some ideas. For the front I just drilled mounting holes and used large thick washers like 3" D.

I used 3" OD washers for the seatbelt anchors also.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:32pm
You have to make your own decision. The life of your gtandchild or having a few extra holes in your Jeep? Years ago our MB had no seat belts at first but it ended up with them and a roll bar. Even my '53 Buick has seat belts in it now.
uncamonkey
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:33pm
We used to do lots of dumb things when we were kids but being a grandfather changes the way you think.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

We used to do lots of dumb things when we were kids but being a grandfather changes the way you think.

Yep, we all seem to have survived our lives so far. No seat belts or child seats, steel dashboards, no helmets when you were on a bike and you had to walk several blocks to get to grade school. When a niece is in my Jeep she is firmly strapped in the passenger seat and my brother is sitting on my large tool box. He is on his own, If he falls out it's not my fault. (He is older than I am after all).
uncamonkey
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:22am
I have seen the results of too many vehicle accidents to say do it.
Find a private area to take them for a slow ride and they will love it just as much. Small children have a hard enough time resisting trauma, even in a modern vehicle with all the safety bells and whistles.

I think we would agree that we all want to be safe with our kids and grandkids, but it probably won't be us that will be the cause of the crash, it will be the other person who is late for work or yapping on their phone.
Dave
44 Willys MB
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by HCAT HCAT wrote:

I think we would agree that we all want to be safe with our kids and grandkids, but it probably won't be us that will be the cause of the crash, it will be the other person who is late for work or yapping on their phone.

My thoughts exactly.
But you should still be prepared and take precautions.
No seat belts or roll bar just seems so silly to me.
Hey, roll the dice...it's your life.

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:34pm

That's fine if you have a rollbar. Without a rollbar your best chance of survival in a rollover is to be thrown clear. Using a seatbelt greatly increases your chances of getting killed. Think about it, that skinny windshield will collapse and the next tallest thing in the vehicle is you.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>