Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

child saftey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:41pm
Wow is the only accident a Willys can get in a roll over? If your seriously off roading you should not be hauling kids and you can always remove a belt but you cant install one when you need it.n
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:26pm
When my son was about 2-3, I just had him sit between the seats and hold on to the L & R seat tubes...worked great on slow street driving, and I'd do it again with grandkids....if I had any!!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:00am
Somehow the image of my departed mother came to mind when I read about not running seat belts and no roll bar. Her bony finger would be pointed at your chest and she would be reading you the riot act.
I have never needed a roll bar or seat belts but I use them. WTH, even my '51 Chevy had seat belts.

Mothers...
uncamonkey
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:06am
Funny, I am guessing most if not all that are posting on this grew up in the time with no car seats for kids and no seat belts, and we survived. Now were crazy if we drive a Jeep with out a roll bar and seat belts or strap a car seat in with a ratchet strap? My opinion, if you are in a Willys and are hit or hit something hard enough to pull a ratchet strap from an anchor point you have bigger things to worry about.  Just my two cents
Glen
49 CJ3A
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:52am
Dad got Chug when I was 5 years old in 1962 the first time I remember riding in it I was about 8 we went on an outing to Sand Lake on the coast with the Salem jeep Club and the Jeep had belts in front for mom and dad and two smaller flip latch belts for my younger brother and I in the back seat. The roll bar was there as I remember hitting my head on it getting out one time.

We also had Seat belts in the 65 Wagoneer either factory installed or dad put them in right away.

The very first car accident I ever heard about was when I was in the 2 or 3rd grade. A couple of the high school boys had drivin out to Central Howell where my grade school was to pickup this girl that lived in the house next to the school. She was a Latino girl and stunningly beautiful. She got in the car in the front seat. About a mile and a half down the road from our house a local Milk truck without its lights on pulled out on to the hwy way. The kids hit it at about 60 When the ambulance crew showed up they found the local cop throwing up in the ditch and the girls head on the hood of the car after it had been severed coming through the windshield. The boy driving was beat up real bad but ended up living the boy in the back seat was able to get into the car that took him to the hospital after the ambulance raced off with the driver. I remember dad making me read the newspaper clipping when I was 14 and had started to drive farm trucks to the cannery for the farmers I worked for.

none of them were wearing seat belts.

As kids we always wore our seat belts. Dad was very strict about this.

YMMV

but natural selection works wonders. 

Edited by Mark W. - 24 May 2017 at 3:54am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:08am
I've probably spent more time than most here riding around in Jeeps.
And we always used seat belts and every Jeep we ever had was also equipped with a roll bar.
Even my daughter went on her first Jeep trip when she was big enough (18 months) to fit properly into her car seat which was strapped and seat belted into the rear seat.
And I could post lots of pictures from many moons ago of rolled over Jeeps where the folks walked away with the Jeep destroyed......but I won't anymore. It's your life and your decision.
You can't help folks who don't want your help...or your opinion. So I say no more on this topic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:04am
Red Willy is right. All of us grew up back in that era and as I said, we all survived so far. A friend grew up in SD and managed to destroy around 4 '54 Corvettes there. I can't explain him but I used to ride motorcycles. I survived and there is a reason I sold all 3 of them. Most other drivers on the road can be idiots and pull out in front of you or T bone you. Not your fault but you are still injured regardless. I see it about everytime I am out driving and the last time for me was a young lady staring at her phone as she turned in front of me. (Volvo has excellent brakes) She never even looked at my car. Old motorcycle habits work for cars too.
Old line from the cycle days. "Everybody out there is trying to kill you".

Edited by Unkamonkey - 24 May 2017 at 5:10am
uncamonkey
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:23am
My response and my point go back to the original posters questions and Lee's reply. In my opinion if you are hit hard enough or hit something hard enough that a ratchet strap securing the car seat is torn from it's anchor point you most likely wouldn't survive the accident.

I have been in the fire service for more than 20 years and have seen more than my share of accidents including motorcycles. I understand the ramifications of not wearing proper safety gear. I also understand the limitations of a 65+ year old vechicle that wasn't designed with restraints, roll over protection, crush zones or supplemental restraint systems. You are not going to fare well in any type of collision that has enough force to tear a ratchet strap from it's anchor point. I would even venture to say that if said car seat was held in place with modern day seat belts it would most likely be crushed in place. The original poster stated he would be on back roads at low speeds, not off roading and not on high traffic highways.

As stated numerous times everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. To state that you can't help people who don't want your help or your opinion seems a little harsh. Especially considering the original poster asked for opinions, which I would assume would include reasons for and against the use of modern day restraints.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:13am
Speaking of car accidents and seat belts... My brother had a bud who once had too much to drink at a bar.  He crawled into the back seat of his car to sleep it off.  A cop rousted him and took him to jail.  He called his girlfriend (she was known as a bad driver at the best of times).  She came to the jail in her Z-28 Camaro.  He got in the car and put on his seat belt and fell asleep, she didn't use a belt.  She went off the road somewhere and tore the front of the car off from the firewall forward.  She survived, he didn't.  Had the cop left him alone......
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:41am
Red Willy, these are all opinions and I hope we have not offended you.
I do know several EMT persons and I have aided at a few crash sites. I know a few people that fight fires in town and in the forest.
A good friend was a state patrol officer for years. He lived through that job and every time I drove him anywhere he was buckled up. OK, there was the 6 bullet holes in his SP car but I have told about that before.
I don't disagree about seat belts obviously and my old '68 Volvo was one of the first to have 3 point seat belts despite what Ford says.
Moms arm holding you back in a crash isn't going to do it.
I do know why I sold the motorcycles.
I'm not here to argue.
uncamonkey
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

My response and my point go back to the original posters questions and Lee's reply. In my opinion if you are hit hard enough or hit something hard enough that a ratchet strap securing the car seat is torn from it's anchor point you most likely wouldn't survive the accident.

I have been in the fire service for more than 20 years and have seen more than my share of accidents including motorcycles. I understand the ramifications of not wearing proper safety gear. I also understand the limitations of a 65+ year old vechicle that wasn't designed with restraints, roll over protection, crush zones or supplemental restraint systems. You are not going to fare well in any type of collision that has enough force to tear a ratchet strap from it's anchor point. I would even venture to say that if said car seat was held in place with modern day seat belts it would most likely be crushed in place. The original poster stated he would be on back roads at low speeds, not off roading and not on high traffic highways.

As stated numerous times everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. To state that you can't help people who don't want your help or your opinion seems a little harsh. Especially considering the original poster asked for opinions, which I would assume would include reasons for and against the use of modern day restraints.

Well said, Glenn.
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:48am
Unkamonkey, I don't get offended and although I appreciate your apology it's not necessary. You voice your opinion often in numerous posts, often it is contrary to the majority but, you don't come off off as high and mighty trying to convince everyone that you are right and they are wrong. You back your opinion with the reasons you have formed that opinion which is great. Others just try to sound superior and any who disagree are wrong and beyond help. This is the reason I usually stay out of discussions. All is good on my end.
Glen
49 CJ3A
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

In most states to be legal your going to have to have 3 point attachment with an approved seat. I sure wouldn't consider a ratchet strap to the draw bar as equal to what the law in Oregon requires. I would find out what your state laws are and go from there.

Personally I wouldn't have a passenger in my Willys without a damn good seat belt. And plan to equip mine accordingly.

That's fine if you have a rollbar. Without a rollbar your best chance of survival in a rollover is to be thrown clear. Using a seatbelt greatly increases your chances of getting killed. Think about it, that skinny windshield will collapse and the next tallest thing in the vehicle is you.

That'll buff right out..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:37pm
So that's what a M151 Mutt drives like------------Big smile
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

So that's what a M151 Mutt drives like------------Big smile

I dunno, John......To be sure, we need to wait for the someone that's "probably spent more time than most here riding around in Jeeps." to give us wannabes the gospel.
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:09pm
I have 3 girls ages 9, 6, and 2.  I have taken the two older ones up and down the roads around the house but no where that there is lots of traffic.  The 2 year old loves to ride in the jeep but she is regulated to yard trips around the house.  I dont have a rollbar or seat belts in mine.  Ive thought about doing it but just cant take the plunge yet.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:32pm
I understand this thread is about child safety. I took my first ride in a Jeep at age 6 or7. I rode up a alley to the "old guys" mailbox. Sat on the rear fenderwell. I've been in love with old Jeeps since. I'm 63. Anyway,  I'm sorry if I joked around too much. Heck I let my 10 year old grandson drive my M38A1 in low 4 wheel up on  Crook Mountain. That's the stuff dreams are made of. Driving a old Jeep in heavy traffic Shocked forget that.  You should have your headlights on also, people don't see it. Rock crawling with kids-----forget that too. A Willys Jeep without a roll bar Vs one with. Seatbelts or harness in a 4 point roll cage or no seatbelts with no rollbar are the excepted rule.  Local laws on seat belts will vary state to state so call your local folks and ask.  Grand kids are precious, but common sense is the rule in my mind.  My 2 cents. Carry on! Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Red Willy Red Willy wrote:

Unkamonkey, I don't get offended and although I appreciate your apology it's not necessary. You voice your opinion often in numerous posts, often it is contrary to the majority but, you don't come off off as high and mighty trying to convince everyone that you are right and they are wrong. You back your opinion with the reasons you have formed that opinion which is great. Others just try to sound superior and any who disagree are wrong and beyond help. This is the reason I usually stay out of discussions. All is good on my end.

Thanks. I don't get offended much either. My brother has been trying for over 60 years.
The only things I give an opinion on are about what I know about or problems from the past I have figured out pre internet days.
Things like wiring, I can give a guestimate...
On a few forums I just give people hints to where they should look rather than just telling them. I suppose I figured it out the hard way and I think it is up to them to do a search and buy a FSM.
I suppose I am a lot like a teacher. I know the answer but it is better if they figure it out for themselves.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>