Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cj2a alternator capacity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cj2a alternator capacity
    Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 1:42pm
was wondering if the alternator on my willys would support 2 or 3  deep cycle batteries. Thinking of setting up a 12volt backup system for my camp. We loose power up there often sometimes for extended periods. These batteries would support 12volt lighting, phone chargers, radio and a small 15" tv.  By hooking up a set of jumper cables to them from the willys would I be able to recharge them by running the motor for say an hour or so? Not real sure if it will handle it or over tax the alternator. Any and all constructive suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 1:44pm
the heating of camp is propane including the hot water for bath and dishes.
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 2:51pm
There are allot of variables to that question.It may take more than an hour to charge large batteries. But the problems you have is, by charging the batterys all in parallel it can over charge one and not the other, especially if one starts to get a little weaker than the others. The other thing is the load on your alternator, depending on what amp alternator and what size batteries you have it may put to much draw on it.
Best place to start may be to get the part number off your alternator and find out how many amp it is, then you can build and size the whole setup around that. There's lots of info on rv forums about charging battery banks.
Only a thought, but for what you would spend on the deep cycle batteries you may be able to get a small cheap 1k generator that would probably do the job and save you some hours on the jeep.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 7:08pm
thanks for that info. I'll check. The deep cycle batteries are from my boat that I have to keep charged off season. So just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. 
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 1:12am
I use solar panels to keep my batteries charged up at the camp with no problem.The camp is wired at 110v with a 3000watt inverter. I have 3 Cat 1300 cca batteries .The solar panels in winter when the camp is not in use will keep the batteries charge over 13 volts with no problem.The 7 solar panels together are about 280 watts.I have no problem using the TV /satellite ,all my lights are energy efficient about 9 watt each.Solar panels quiet and will keep your batteries charged up.
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 1:52am
thanks nice picture. Beautiful camp.
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 3:58pm
We also have an off grid system, It can be done with an alternator and extension cord if you have $0.

However a cheap 30A Mppt charge controller and a couple of panels can be had fairly cheaply,
and you'll never look back. Maybe in the range of a couple hundred bucks.

If it's just a "backup" as you state, and you have power there most of the time, a simple 110v float charger, and an inverter should take care of your needs. Depending on your incoming power service you could even switch between shore and batt power/inverter into your main panel.

good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 5:45pm
thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply