Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A dana 41 rear axle inner bearing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A dana 41 rear axle inner bearing question
    Posted: 19 July 2017 at 5:49am
You guys can probably tell that I am working on my rear axle, right?
In this pic below (from the service manual)
I want to pull the axles so that I can replace bearing (part #9) and inboard seal (part #33)
I know that the axle comes out with the bearing.
Question: the highlighted with the red arrow inner bearing (part #11) -- is it not pressed on the axle? Does the axle just freely go through it?

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 7:39am
Short answer, yes. 
Those inner bearings are held in by caps, but if you don't need to mess with them then don't. Those caps have to go back on exactly the way they came off. That outer bearing us a press fit in the axle. I tried driving one on with a brass drift and broke the cage. I recommend getting a shop to press that one on the shaft for. 
Other opinions may vary.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 12:27pm
those bearings (11) are pressed on to the differential case. You won't need to fuss with them at all to do the outer axle bearing. The shafts slide right in and out of the differential - engaging the splines. 

agreed on the press. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2017 at 2:36am
A friend's wife bought him a 12-ton Harbor Freight press for Christmas about 10 years ago.  I've used it more than he has, to press a bearing on a model 41 axle shaft among other things.  He's a really good bud and even a HF press can be quite useful!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
konstan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote konstan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

A friend's wife bought him a 12-ton Harbor Freight press for Christmas about 10 years ago.  I've used it more than he has, to press a bearing on a model 41 axle shaft among other things.  He's a really good bud and even a HF press can be quite useful!

Hands down one of the best purchases I ever made. A buddy bought one to work on guns but ended up not using it hardly at all, so I ended up with it... truly an amazing tool, gets used all the time!!!

Post Reply Post Reply