Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ-2A disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2017 at 12:06am
I ended up getting the brackets from Metcalf / Meiser super easy and I think if you consider your time, cheaper, and I have free access to a water jet cutter.

Mine would not clear the 15" wheels due to the shape of the wheel shell, not sure about 16"

arndog
EP145 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EP145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 4:39am
Hi Stev can I please get a copy of the my friends shop has a water jet.

Thanks 
Dan
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 1:36pm
pm sent

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
knick9678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knick9678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 2:03am
Could I get a copy also. I have access to a plasma table.
Dave
DUtch_Jeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUtch_Jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 8:26pm
I'm also looking for drawings of the brackets, this seems to be the exact same conversion as discribed in this topic on G503:

https://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=236383

However i cannot find the drawings on http://jeepdraw.com/ which is mentioned in that topic.

I can easily source the rest of the parts, even have a spare axle to fit the parts first, but need the drawings for the brackets, several friends of mine work in the metal industry and can easily make the brackets for me if i provide them with drawings. I do not know what format these drawings are, but i might be able to converse them into a cad/cam drawing file for easy upload to metal companies for easy quoting.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can provide the drawings

Regards

Officer:Nice Jeep, but you are not wearing your seatbelt
Me:I'm sitting on 40 liters of explosive fuel in a 65 year old tank, my seatbelt is the least of my worries
Officer: Have a nice day sir
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 10:12pm
Hey DUtch_Jeeper, welcome to the page!  You met a reasonable police officer too...  Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
DUtch_Jeeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUtch_Jeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:21pm
I did indeed haha, regulation in the Netherlands is quite simple. In 1952 seatbelts were not regulation so if you do not have them you can drive without them no problem. But if you do install them in your classic you have to wear them no matter what was regulation in 1952. I installed them in my Cj3a because i might be driving safely, i'm not the only one on the road. But unlike in my daily driver i sometimes forget to put them on when taking my CJ3 for a spin. Luckily i was pulled over by the right officer that one time and he also had a good sense of humor :-) 

I realize i should probably do a intro topic on the CJ2apage before barging in and aksing for drawings, but i'm also on the CJ3a page, not very active since i apparently have one hell of a reliable 1952 CJ3a despite taking it offroad only and doing 15k kilometers a year to events without issues lol. OK, there is the occasional maintenance offcourse but this little love of mine proves what i always say about classics. Drive them, they were build for that and that keeps them in good condition over standing stil.

I'll not repeat what i put on the CJ3apage, here is my intro topic :-) i do need to update it alot has happened since :-) 

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1436383494/27#27

And a truly awesome campsite swap engine story lol, the only time it let me down, just after i got it  but that is how all relationships have to evolve ups and downs LOLLOLLOLLOL

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1463585833/1#1

Ok, wrong topic but since i'm here here's some more, 1.5 inch lift, 7.50r16 (31inch) tires, only thing i need to avoid is deep water and deep mud, for the rest it keeps up with anywhere build TJ's can go and it will even get further lol

And it has a awesome rockcrawling gearbox from it's otiginal use as a snowblower in the dutch army:

My apoligies to the moderators if i took it to far and went way off topic :-) 

Edited by DUtch_Jeeper - 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:25pm
Officer:Nice Jeep, but you are not wearing your seatbelt
Me:I'm sitting on 40 liters of explosive fuel in a 65 year old tank, my seatbelt is the least of my worries
Officer: Have a nice day sir
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 4:16am
Nice Jeep!!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
can_o_worms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote can_o_worms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 6:12pm
Looking for file for the bracket drawings, are they available for download anywhere, or only here?
I have no clue what I'm doing... (don't tell my wife!!!)
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by can_o_worms can_o_worms wrote:

Looking for file for the bracket drawings, are they available for download anywhere, or only here?

I don't give out my engineering data, but you can purchase my bracket kit here...

or a complete set of 4 if you want to have 4-wheel disc brakes....

With the time, shipping, steel, cut cost, the offset spacers, and now the included caliper bolts....I don't think many people would be able to replicate the parts any cheaper. I get them cut in large batches to keep the price as much as I can.

Regards

Brennan Metcalf
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 11:10pm
Brennan,

Will this fit under a 15 inch wheel?
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Brennan,

Will this fit under a 15 inch wheel?

It depends on the 15" wheel. The Tracker/Sidekick came factory with a 15" wheel. I run a 15" wheel on my flat fender. The early factory Willys engineers didn't do us any favors with the folded ( and even sometimes riveted ) wheels. Typically, the early Willys 15" factory ( but actually a factory option ) wheels require a small spacer to allow enough clearance. There are early disc brake 15" wheels from the Scout that look nearly identical that will clear. Wheel Vintiques also offers some factory looking wheels with a modern welded center.

Most of the 16" factory wheels will clear, but the Omix reproductions and the 'dimple' style ( raised dimple at every lug ) also require a small spacer. Modern 16" welded centers clear just fine.

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 12:02am
So worst case longer studs and a spacer? maybe 
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 5:46pm

Yes. I haven't got to try every possible combo, but I believe ~3/8" spacer on the worst clearance wheels the minimum you need. A lot of people just buy a 1" spacer on amazon if they have issues, but I don't think it needs to be that thick.

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Metcalf Metcalf wrote:

Yes. I haven't got to try every possible combo, but I believe ~3/8" spacer on the worst clearance wheels the minimum you need. A lot of people just buy a 1" spacer on amazon if they have issues, but I don't think it needs to be that thick.

How about combats? How bad are they to clear?

Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2019 at 7:22pm
EDIT : The WO factory stock CJ2A 16" wheels work without a spacer if you are using a 3/8" bracket.  

EDIT : After rereading this thread and looking at the pictures posted and seeing that 1/4" thick brackets are being used - I wrongfully assumed the brackets were 3/8" -  I don't know anything about how a 1/4" brackets will work with any wheels someone might run on a vehicle they are calling a CJ2A with or without stock axles.   I did my Geo Tracker disc brake conversion 4 years ago to a stock CJ2A - My experience is with factory stock 16" CJ2A wheels supplied by the Willys Overland Company in the period from 1946 to sometime into the early 1950 using 3/8" bracket plates, on stock CJ2A vehicles of the same description.     

Edited by Stev - 14 Mar. 2019 at 8:09pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

The stock CJ2A 16" wheels work without a spacer.  If you need the Geo Tracker plate drawing send me a PM. 

Not all 16" stock wheels fit without a spacer. The version with the small dimple/bump to the outside of the lug hole will foul itself on the caliper. The Omix-Ada reproductions also have issues.

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2019 at 1:22am
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

[QUOTE=Metcalf]

How about combats? How bad are they to clear?

They need a small spacer from what I have seen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>