Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cj2a Steering Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cj2a Steering Box
    Posted: 11 July 2017 at 11:45pm
My cj2a 1948 has a grease zert, one source says its to be oil, not grease, which is correct?
And if oil what weight ? Gear oil 90/140?
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:11am
Take the grease zerk out, it doesn't belong there. I would take the side cover off and make sure that any grease in there is flushed out. 140W gear oil is correct. No grease.

A standard 1/8" pipe plug will fit in place of the zerk and most hardware stores would have them.

Hope that helps...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

tmiles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 12:22am
Thanks for the information, will do
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 3:29am

When we rebuild the Ross steering boxes we drill a hole between the two bushings on the casting that the sector shaft passes through and add a zerk.  We run 140W gear lube in the steering box and grease the bushings.  

Where is the grease fitting?

Jeep Police disclosure - Our modification is not historically correct but it improves the life of the steering bushings - for people who use their Jeeps off road.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 5:44am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

When we rebuild the Ross steering boxes we drill a hole between the two bushings on the casting that the sector shaft passes through and add a zerk.  We run 140W gear lube in the steering box and grease the bushings.  

Jeep Police disclosure - Our modification is not historically correct but it improves the life of the steering bushings - for people who use their Jeeps off road.

Picture(s)???
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 7:10am

Nice solution.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

Nice solution.

Yeah. And eventually, it will keep the horn contact ring and brush well lubricated in the early models, and a little longer on in the later ones, the upper column bearing.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2017 at 7:14pm
FWIW, I grease mine on assembly and then  add 90 wt. It mixes with use to a nice goo like cornhead grease. Few boxes will hold straight 90 wt. for long. Never put a zirc in the fill plug. Like Bruce said, you will pump it up in to the column and fowl the early type horn brush. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2017 at 1:26pm
Here is a picture of the Zerk between the two bushings in the Ross steering box.  It is in line with the fill plug.  Mr. J. Waddle from Ohio came up with this modification at least 10 years ago to improve the life of the steering bushings.

Edited by Stev - 21 July 2017 at 1:55pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:57pm
wish I Kew about the seek addition before I rebuilt my steering box. Well maybe next time
 Post Reply Post Reply