Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Tire Mounted on the back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Tire Mounted on the back?
    Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 2:01am
Hi,

I have a CJ2A that I am trying to make look more like a WWII MB. I want to mount the tire on the back, but the problem I have run into using the original side mount bracket is that the spare tire sits too low. If I take the rear bumperette off it fits fine, but I would like to keep that on. I even bought an MB spare tire carrier, but the ridges in the tailgate get in the way of mounting that. Any ideas?? I'm sure someone has run into this issue before.

Thanks,

Ryan
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 2:14am
You can mount the spare there but you need to reinforce the tailgate or delete it entirely and sheet over the opening with reinforcement added. Look at what was on a M38 or original MB or GPW.
I think a stock M38 spare carrier is made to raise the spare a few more inches.
uncamonkey
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 1:32pm
Use an M38 tire carrier (and the reinforcements), or you could find an M38 tailgate. Be aware you need to bolt the tailgate closed if you're going to hang a tire on it.

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6854

Edited by rocketeer - 25 Sep. 2016 at 1:34pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2016 at 10:15pm
A PO had mounted a tire carrier on the tailgate of my 3B. So, they mounted it too low and drilled 4 more holes a few inches higher. 4 were in the Willys logo area. All of the holes had cracks heading out from them. I had a few days in there welding and reshaping/grinding the logo back to an original look.

Somebody has posted the stock Jeep reinforcement kit pictures. It was a few years ago.
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 7:10pm
Ryan,

We have our spare tire on our Cj2a (1946) trail Jeep set up like a WW2 Jeep to get it out of the way for trail work. If you mount the bumperetts first and use the one on the passenger side as a tire support it will work fine. The M151 Jeep is set up this way (google a picture of the M151 and you can see the tire sits on the bumperett. We are using the WW2 MB spare tire holder mounted near the top of the tail gate. The tail gate is bolted closed on each side. We have used it for 20 year plus with no issues. The key is to have the bumperett carry the weight of the tire and not the tail gate. The tire mount keeps the tire from falling backwards and holds it snug against the tail gate.

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
101stairborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 5:26pm
Thanks for the input guys! When I bought my jeep the tailgate was solid welded all the way around so it is pretty tough. 

Stev - do you have a picture of how you have yours set up? The problem I noticed with my MB spare tire carrier is that the mounting points on the carrier did not sit flush with the tailgate because of the grooves that are stamped in it. 
1948 Willys CJ-2A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 4:30pm
Ryan,

I will take a picture of it to night and try to post it. I have never posted a picture on this site but I will give it a try.

Stev
Stev
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 6:34pm
This isn't the only way to do it, but I’ve set up a couple 3As with this approach.  The interior bracing mimics the M38 tailgate.  The spare tire carrier is the M38 style.  The placement of the carrier is also positioned exactly as the M38. The tailgate is bolted shut.  The tire carrier bracing is Oak…painted to match the Willys.  The gas can bracing is made out of a T-rail from an old garage door opener.  I welded this in position.  

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 1:29am
Here are the pictures of the back of our 1946 CJ2A trail Jeep with the MB tire mount.
Tire weight is on the bumperett.  
WW2 Spare tire mount on the 1946 CJ2A tail gate.  Tire is a 16/700.  The tread of the tire is flush with the outside of the passenger side of the tub.  We pull a M416 trailer with this Jeep.  The pintle is a swivel type from a Series Land Rover.  Safety chain bracket is from a M151 Jeep.

Stev 
Stev
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 1:32am
OK what is the secret to loading picture on the site?
Stev
Stev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2016 at 7:35pm
To insert an image you must first upload it to another site such as Photobucket or Flickr, etc. Then once it is uploaded copy the link of the image. When you are posting on the CJ2A page go to the insert image button and paste the URL in. Then click OK and you should be good to go!

I am hoping that I do not need to weld in supports. If the tailgate is solidly welded shut around the edges and the tire rests on the bumperette are they still needed?

Thanks again for the help! 
1948 Willys CJ-2A
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 4:29am
I would recommend you use some sort of bracing to spread the pull out force. If not, you're hanging a fair amount of weight to thin sheet metal.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2016 at 10:25am
Nice jeep athawk. It makes mine look like the same thing I stepped in last night as I was out draining things out of my motor home in the dark.
uncamonkey
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 4:19am
Ryan,

I finally got the pictures of the MB Style spare tire mount on the 1946 CJ2A loaded on the Web.

Here is the link 

The bumperetts are reinforced with a section of square stock to keep them from being bent up when off-roading.  

Stev
Stev

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 5:11pm
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Stev! I guess I will just have to bend the MB tire rack mounts in a bit so they fit between the stamps in the tailgate. It sounds like I will have to add some reinforcing to the tailgate too. Thanks for all the help guys!
1948 Willys CJ-2A
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 5:22pm
Was that Coke bottle opener on the drivers side a factory option?  Wonder if they had an option for Corona or Dos Equis?

Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

Edited by mickeykelley - 21 Oct. 2016 at 5:24pm
truher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 4:53pm
Hey, sorry to hijack, but that color looks great!  Could you tell me more about the paint?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 7:02pm
Hi Truher,

Thanks!  I built this for my wife.  I wish she would drive it more than she does.Unhappy

The paint is urethane.  It's a 1965 Ford Mustang color.  Phoenician Yellow.  I put a satin clear coat over it to knock down the shine a bit.

I bought it on line from this company... http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/  Overall, I was happy with the color and the paint store.  I also bought a Willys color (Autumn Yellow) from them for wheels on my '46 2A.  In my eyes, It was spot on.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>