Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cluster gear clearance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cluster gear clearance
    Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:37pm
Hello
Starting to rebuild my t90. Have started to install the cluster gear assembly. Have been whatching rick stivers videos. He says you want 12 to 18 thous. Of clearance/endplay on the cluster gear. I have installed my thrust washers dry like steve says to and have 4 to 5 thous of clearance. Cluster gear is nos, shaft and bearings, thrust washers new to. Do i need to grind down the face of one of the thrust washers yo get closer ot will i be ok here? Thanks for the help. 
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:53pm
I've been watching his videos too, as well as schnitzelhous and metal shaper's.  I think Stivers also says that he's seen them with as little .005" clearance, and that they are ok to run.  I suppose that as long as that 90wt oil can get in there to lubricate the thrust surface, you should be ok.  But, it wouldn't hurt and may be beneficial to open up that clearance a little, just to be on the safe side.

I'm waiting on my Novak master rebuild kit to arrive. In the meantime, I reassembled my T90 with the existing thrust washers for practice and measured the endlplay.  Mine was .005" - .007".  I"ll check it with the new thrust washers.  If it is any tighter than this, I'll thin them a bit to be safe.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 3:59pm
In my opinion, .005" is okay to run. There is enough clearance to allow oil to get to the places that need oil and the thrust washer has a design that collects and maintains an oil film.

46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Post Reply Post Reply