Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch Noise? Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch Noise? Problem?
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 6:37pm
Hello all
I've seem to be having a problem my 47 CJ2a. For about a month or so my jeep is making a noise kinda like a "metallic rotating hitting something sound".    It's not very loud a few decibels over the idling noise. Just noticible if it wasn't my jeep I may not notice it.

I believe it's coming from the clutch. It occurs when the clutch peddle is out(clutch working). As soon as I depress the clutch it goes away but comes back as soon I release it.

Jeep seem to go into gears with no issue although lately I'm having a stalling issue and binding in reverse. I'm not sure it's related .

Any help would be appreciated,
Frank G
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 7:23pm
My guess is that it is the throwout bearing.

Is the sound a whirring sound? 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 7:38pm
No not a whirring sound.     Just a low repetitive metallic sound.

Not loud but loud enough for me to hear it over the sound of the jeep.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:01pm
My next thought is that the pressure plate is loose.  It would seem that the springs, bolts and pivots are still in place or they would be traveling around the bell housing making noise all the time.  

You might open the inspection cover and look at the pressure plate to see if it is mounted tight against the flywheel.  Also look at the edges of the pressure plate.  You can also bump the starter to see different areas on the pressure plate and flywheel.  The clutch can also be depressed to see how the fingers on the pressure plate and throw-out bearing are interacting.
Stev
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:05pm
If the pressure plate was loose, could this be fixed without dropping the tranny and clutch?.

Steve I appreciate your help,
Frank
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:05pm
Could there be a loose object in the bell housing?
Remove the access panel on top of the housing and look around/listen.

Edited by TERRY - 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:07pm
BOULDER 48 2A
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:18pm
The pressure plate will "chatter" if its worn in the finger area.

I welded my one, and dressed it all up.

Its a constant rattle sort of noise, stops as soon as the thrust bearing contacts the fingers.
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Frank G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:20pm
Terry it's not as if there's something loose or rattling around it's more like a harmonic constant sound.
I don't know much about clutches but from the moment you depress the clutch pedal the sound immediately goes away I'm hoping a simple adjustment might be the key I just don't know what I'm looking for or if this is a common problem with
Cj2a.

Or just a sign of a larger problem that will come up
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 8:43pm
Frank, if its what I think it is then it will last for years that way, more annoying than anything else.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2017 at 10:51pm
Frank - just take off the cover to the shift tower and open the little clutch observation door to the front of the transmission and you can look into the clutch.  Start it up and let it run.  Listen for noise and then (in neutral) operate the clutch in and out.  You MAY be able to see what's going on with the clutch.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 1:24am
It could be the transmission front input shaft bearing. That would explain why the sound would stop when disengaging the clutch and the shaft stops turning or relieving the torque from it.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 1:36am
Is the transmission full of gear lube?
Stev
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2017 at 1:42am
Do you hear the noise when moving in 3rd gear?  If the bearing rollers between the input and output shafts are bad, you will hear noise in neutral and 1st and 2nd but not 3rd.  Maybe a stretch, but I've heard it happen.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply