Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

I live a ways south of Lee (about 40 miles south) and saw -31 on my thermometer this morning too. 

I can not imagine those low temps !!!  (-31)  . . .  do you have to use a special antifreeze?  (I could go out and look at the charts on typical antifreeze jug,  but 15 degrees here is too cold for me to venture outside, for a trip to the garage. Embarrassed)
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 4:15am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

I live a ways south of Lee (about 40 miles south) and saw -31 on my thermometer this morning too. 

I can not imagine those low temps !!!  (-31)  . . .  do you have to use a special antifreeze?  (I could go out and look at the charts on typical antifreeze jug,  but 15 degrees here is too cold for me to venture outside, for a trip to the garage. Embarrassed)

Antifreeze, the regular 50/50, synthetic oil makes a huge difference!. My wife’s Dodge started fine this morning at -31. Tomorrow morning will most likely be the same as it’s -28 right now 😱... I live in the St. Croix river valley, it’s pretty normal to have temps 10 degrees cooler than the local towns 5-10 miles away, it’s very very rare to have -31 here and also in Roseville where Nothing Special lives, the temp was very consistent on my commute into work this am 30 miles. We get used to cold winters, we have been lucky so far this season, ͏Li͏f͏e goes on

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 8:54am
I'm pretty annoyed with my municipality and surrounding businesses. Everything is closed due to the cold. The news has super sensationalized this to the nth degree running people scared. City government is closed. Schools closed. Banks are closed. No deliveries being made. Even my favorite watering hole is closed for 2 days... ARGH Angry   Yes it's pretty damm cold (-25ish) and rather impressive in a way, but people are acting like they drive their cars while sitting on the hood and work outside. Yes, there are some professions that shouldn't be working in these conditions but banks, government offices, and bars? Have we forgotten how to bundle up and stay out of the wind?
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Bufordjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 10:28am
I fear many (most ?) have.  
A coworker needed a jump start yesterday cause his battery was not up to the job.  Fortunately another had a pair of cables.  
Roads were almost empty yesterday at 6:00 am.  Anticipate even less today.
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 1:00pm
Joe I feel your pain!, I worked yesterday!, if you live in the cold climate states prepare yourself!, it’s not the end, most everything here is shut down as well, my wife and I are going out of town for a few days and the bank is closed The news media has turned this country into a bunch of wimps!. Peoples cars won’t start!, most do nothing for preventative maintenance or prep for winter, then whine it’s the fault of the cold!, BS!.... I think of my pioneer great great grandparents who homesteaded here in 1859, probably just another cold day to them, or my son in law on the dairy farm!, 1500 animals to tend to wether it’s below zero or above 100, nobody there gets to go hide in the house till it warms up!...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 3:41pm
Got an IdeaLOL

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 3:52pm
Good idea ! Will use you plan Art at the camp.My wife is always complaining of a cold seat.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 4:05pm
That's a good one Art Thumbs Up
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 4:39pm
Patent pending? LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Antifreeze, the regular 50/50, synthetic oil makes a huge difference!. My wife’s Dodge started fine this morning at -31. Tomorrow morning will most likely be the same as it’s -28 right now 😱... I live in the St. Croix river valley, it’s pretty normal to have temps 10 degrees cooler than the local towns 5-10 miles away, it’s very very rare to have -31 here and also in Roseville where Nothing Special lives, the temp was very consistent on my commute into work this am 30 miles. We get used to cold winters, we have been lucky so far this season, ͏Li͏f͏e goes on  

Lee  

Like Lee said, regular antifreeze (but stick with 50/50!) is fine.  I also use synthetic oil, but my '97 Ford 460 still cranked pretty slow, even this morning (although it did start at -24 F today).  

Another thing a lot don't think of is washer fluid.  I use the winter stuff year-round so I don't end up having the reservoir full of the blue stuff come winter.  The winter blend isn't perfect, but it does extend the working range at least 20 degrees past the blue stuff.  Still, I wasn't going to risk using it yesterday or today.  If it sprays out at all it ends up freezing on the windshield and you have NO visibility!

And also like Lee said, this weather is unusually cold, even for here.  We'll hit -15 probably every year, and -20 isn't too unusual.  But -31 is a 1-in-10 year kind of thing, or maybe even less.  So when it happens we're happy that we have an actual reason to brag about how tough we are!

Still, I'm glad this didn't happen a year ago when the entire NFL was here for the Superbowl!  People might not have been so favorably impressed with the "Bold North" then!

Originally posted by Joe DeYoung Joe DeYoung wrote:

I'm pretty annoyed with my municipality and surrounding businesses. Everything is closed due to the cold. The news has super sensationalized this to the nth degree running people scared. City government is closed. Schools closed. Banks are closed. No deliveries being made. Even my favorite watering hole is closed for 2 days... ARGH Angry   Yes it's pretty damm cold (-25ish) and rather impressive in a way, but people are acting like they drive their cars while sitting on the hood and work outside. Yes, there are some professions that shouldn't be working in these conditions but banks, government offices, and bars? Have we forgotten how to bundle up and stay out of the wind?

My wife used to work in an elementary school, and she says it's ridiculous how poorly prepared a lot of kids are for the cold.  That school has outdoor recess unless the wind chill is below about -25 F, and every cold day there are kids (often kindergartners) who have fall-weight jackets and no mittens.  If parents are that stupid the schools really do need to shut down on days like this so kids don't get in serious trouble at the bus stop.  And with all the kids home, lots of parents have to take off from work, so it becomes tough for businesses to stay open.

I'm annoyed by it too, but unfortunately I think we've come to where it's necessary.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 6:03pm
Yep, it's cold there. We had a bit of the BS here about how we are supposed to be prepared. "Snow storm of the decade". What are you going to do about it anyway? You deal with it.
uncamonkey
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 6:08pm
I just got an email from a Friend in northern MN.  He said it hit -42 on his thermometer!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Dave!, did your hands get frostbitten powering your wheelchair ?

I was gonna ask about that.....Dave what do you have going on or recuperating from?

Chad I was doing something very noble. I was on a ladder on the high side of my office repairing a light fixture to PROTECT my staff at night......very heroic act....well I fell onto some concrete and broke both ankles and a leg...........that was on Nov 2...I can see the light at the end finally!
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 6:31pm
I'm embarrassed to add that the schools in Worcester, MA were closed yesterday and today due to the cold.  The overnight low here was -4 (which for contrast was a midday high in the Milwaukee/Madison area the end of last week, before it "got cold").  The current "dangerous", close the school temp in the Worcester area is +14F 

I somehow managed to make it to work and back without being dead both days Ermm... Well, I am assuming.  I still have to get home today Embarrassed.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 6:48pm
OK gang.  If I have to drool over all those pics of your jeeps in the beautiful forests and unspoiled open spaces during the summer......you can hear about my jeeping this last weekend down here in So. Cal.  78 degrees and sunny.  Sat. and Sun.  Today it is expected to hit a daytime low of 67!   Look out!.

Hang in there guys..... spring is just FOUR or FIVE months away (lol). 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

......both ankles and a leg...........that was on Nov 2...I can see the light at the end finally!

Dang Dave! That's the kind of injury where you'll be able to predict the weather later on when you get to be an old man.

Glad you are doing better.....take care, and watch those ladders!

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by cal.bar cal.bar wrote:

....  Hang in there guys..... spring is just FOUR or FIVE months away (lol).  

Groundhog day is coming up on Saturday.  If the groundhog sees his shadow supposedly there will be 6 more weeks of winter.  Around here we take that as good news!
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2019 at 9:06pm
The best part for me about the cold is we get to go ice fishing! Last weekend we caught about 30 yellow/white perch... We had the grill going and cooked them right on the ice along with some venison and scotch to keep us warm! It's good to get some fresh air, however, temps in the negative numbers is too cold for me to fish!

Kids stopped by but they didn't last too long... Probably took longer to get them dressed LOL

My buddy cooking lunch

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>