Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Barn Find - spring cleaning!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado Barn Find - spring cleaning!
    Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:59pm
A friend of mine called me the other day to tell me he found a jeep that I might be interested in.  He said it's been sitting in a barn for about 15 or 20 years, and the widow who owns it is interested in selling it.  Not having any photos, I asked for the widow's (Dee) phone number.  I called and arranged to meet her on Friday to go look at her Jeep.  She said it is a 1947 and has a clear title for it.  So Nancy and I decided to take a road trip to go see it.  This is what we found.

The tires are flat, the bed is rusty, the original seats are missing, there is no top, but all the key parts are there.  The left front wheel is not a Jeep wheel.  Gas tank still holds gas.

One of the obvious additions is the "bustle basket" that was added to the back of the Jeep.  The tailgate is used as the floor of the basket.  It's designed so that the basket tailgate can fold down to allow easier loading in the back.  A previous owner put lots of bondo on the body, and changed the tail lights.  He also removed the rear bow bracket from the side.  Both of the seats are "custom" modifieds that have got to go.  The windshield is an M38 unit.  Those changes were made before Dee and her husband bought it.

The odometer says 64,526 miles on it.  Dee said that it always worked when she was driving it so that may be an accurate account of it's miles.  The story that it doesn't tell is how hard those miles were on that Colorado ranch.  They bought the Jeep in 1978, and the last registration was in 1986.  They also converted it to 12v so they could use it to help jump start some of their other machinery. 

Most of the engine is intact.  The exceptions are the alternator and the air cleaner.  The engine turned over with me simply pulling on the fan belt.  The spark plug sockets are full of mouse crap so I didn't pull a plug to look at the top of a piston.  The radiator was drained to keep it and the block from freezing and cracking.  Following the hoses I discovered that it has two heaters, one on each side.  Much of the wiring was the original cloth jacket wire.  Dee said the reason they parked it was because it had developed a noticeable knock in the engine.  Who knows what that could be????

The tires all show sign of dry rot, and the front bumper shows signs of either pulling on something, or getting pulled out of something.  Fortunately the frame still looks straight on both sides.  The chaff guard had done it's job, it was full of rotting grass seeds.  But at least they were not in the radiator.  I also noticed that all 4 springs were laying pretty flat.  I think those will get replaced.

The seats were "creative" adaptations.  They're junk.  I was surprised that the gas tank still held gas in it.  Too bad the tool box did not fare as well.  It was rusted out, and trashed out as a mouse hotel.  I had no desire to root around in there to see what might be still in there.  So there's going to be a load to go to the dump from this, but it's got good bones.  I've got a 2A body to replace this one with.  I've also got seats I could use until I get 2A seats and frames.  I'll have to go hunting for a 2A windshield as well.   I just hope that when I open up the engine and transmission that they're in good shape.  For the small sum that I agreed to pay, even if I part it out, it will be money well spent.  I'll go back to the ranch on Monday to pick it up, after I get my trailer back in shape.  Got some maintenance and repairs on it to see to this weekend.

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:02pm
NICE.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:09pm
Way to go Mike!Thumbs Up You'll have it on the trail @ BHR for sure..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:54pm
Jeep rich, or Jeep poor, it looks all good to me. You run with a bad crowd Mike. We are all sick with Jeep Disease. You may have to change the name of TDR to: TDJR. Corral them Jeeps pardner. Wink Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:15am
Wish I had friends like that! LOL Good thing it was left there and not out in a field under a tree.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 2:36am
Nice score Mike!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:39am
I'm very happy for you.  I'm happier that my 2A is here at my ranch, and out of harms way .......  seats, windshield and all.
 Wink

Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:06am
A new project. Very Nice!
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 5:37am
I have a 2A w/s frame you can have.  It's a Bubba victim, but it can be returned to duty without too much trouble.  I think.  PM for pics if you want.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 11:18am
Nice find. I just have dogs that follow me home.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply