Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column Shifter (Remote Control)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkeyHillGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column Shifter (Remote Control)
    Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:33pm
I recently purchased an early 1946 CJ2A with a column shift (Remote Control). I am searching for detailed drawings or exploded views of the shift column. I believe the previous owner may have broken it and then did a work around to keep it running. I have found a drawing in my shop manual which shows a bias spring at the top of the linkage with the stop screw below it. Mine did not have the spring and the stop screw had what was left of threads welded to the top of the column. I would appreciate any help you can provide. I am new to the forum, so I hope I posted this correctly.
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:49pm

This link should be helpful for you... http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/shifter/index.html

This one is the index for the above for other assemblies you may need help with... http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/index.html

Edited by Joe DeYoung - 19 Mar. 2019 at 1:51pm
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 2:07am
Welcome to the page, TurkeyHillGuy!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 6:14am
Yes, Welcome aboard!
TurkeyHillGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkeyHillGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 7:17pm
Joe,
Thank you so much. The detailed pictures are spot on to what I have! the big difference, and I still don't know how it shifted, was that my guide pin at the top was welded to the top of the steering column. Now I will grind off the weld, braze in a steel pin and drill it so it will attach correctly. Do you think any of the top springs are still around for sale? there was not one in my assembly. I will take before and after pics and post them. 
Thanks so much,
Kevin
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 8:13pm
Kevin,

I've never had to find either spring so can't tell you if it's available or not.

Measurements of the compression spring are:
-- Ø.31 OD
-- 3.68"lg (free length)
-- Ø.050 round wire
-- 36 coils with ground ends

I checked McMaster Carr and they didn't have anything even close to those dimensions. From there I would go to your local hardware store and find something close that fits in the hole.

The spring on the lever is not a standard off the shelf spring so you will not find that one anywhere. Walcks or other like early jeep suppliers may have reproduced it, but I'd doubt it given the relatively low demand for it. I suggest you bend up your own out of music wire to keep the lever from jiggling around.  

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

TurkeyHillGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkeyHillGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2019 at 9:51pm
Joe,
Thanks for the update on the sprin specs. I am off to the hardware store for a spring. Thanks again
Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply