Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

common sense fastener punch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: common sense fastener punch
    Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 10:23pm
WTB or borrow a common sense fastener hole punch tool. Got one you're done with you would sell or lend?? Muley...

Edited by RICKG - 20 Jan. 2018 at 12:11am
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 2:42am
Sharpened piece of hollow tubing if nothing turns up here maybe?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 3:37pm
Ya thought about using one of my hollow punches but an oval hole is optimum.

This little beauty is 28 bucks, some of the others are fetching over a hunnert bucks..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Ya thought about using one of my hollow punches but an oval hole is optimum.

True.....I was thinking, small tubing sharpened to an edge then placed in a vise and 'squished'....round tubing turned into oval tubing.

Store bought ones are nice though would be the way to go if you were going to use it alot.

It was just a thought to try before you spent the money....maybe somebody accidentally has one to borrow though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 5:04pm
You just gave me an ideer Roc, I may try to heat and deform a HF round punch to an oval shape, not much to lose with a HF punch..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 6:19pm
Uh.....that's what I'm here for.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 8:57pm
I have to admit it, I bought a punch 'locally' from an upholstery shop in Spokane. I figure if I'm going to shell out cash for expensive fasteners to do the job right, I might as well buy the tool too. Call it paying a fine for not doing the job the right way the first time.

I paid $70 for mine, so that $28 unit is a deal.

I had been trying to use locally available snaps because I couldn't afford the right parts. Turns out I spent more money on the wrong parts than just ponying up for the CS fasteners and the tool in the first place. Embarrassed

I'm in that same boat with my windows on the canvas top. I used inexpensive vinyl from JoAnns instead of marine window vinyl, so that's a do-over too.

Heh, that said, I bought nickel-plated CS fasteners because I can't see paying $10 for the correct color on a $3 fastener just because it's 'right'.

I can loan you mine. I'll just drop it in a flat-rate box and send it your way if you'd like. I'm coming up on needing it soon, but replacing the windows in my doors is a priority at the moment.

PM me with your address and I'll get it out to you. You should get it pretty quickly, I'm just north of Coeur d'Alene.

[edit]
This is the tool you're looking for, correct?

I have to admit, it'd be far more fun to just run it down to you.

Edited by LesBerg - 20 Jan. 2018 at 9:15pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2018 at 4:44pm
Thx Les, ya just run it down this afternoon, heck it's only 580 miles No to So across IdahoLOL
PM Sent. Muley..

EDIT: Les and I have a plan, thanks Man!

Edited by RICKG - 21 Jan. 2018 at 6:01pm
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply