Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Convert 88 XJ to Carb?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Convert 88 XJ to Carb?
    Posted: 05 Feb. 2010 at 1:49am
I love my Cherokee. I really do. But I have HAD it with this stupid  french fuel injection systemDead. Does anyone here know whether it would be possible to replace the Intake manifold and distributor with parts from a 258, or something?  Thanx.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2010 at 2:09am
I think I saw a TBI system once for the 4.0 that used standard GM parts out there back when I owned one....might wanna do a google for replacement EFI systems for jeeps...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2010 at 2:35am
Now that sounds encouraging! I can understand/diagnose/fix GM TBI!  Thanx Much F Bill!   BW

randyscycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randyscycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2010 at 3:22am
 What is the big problem you are having with the system? The Renix wasn't a total POS and actually usually works fairly well. They didn't have the self-diagnostic capability the Chrysler system had, but overall performed as well in my experience with them.  

Biggest issues I've seen are the same ones that plague every other system out there: Poor grounds, prior "repairs", repeated immersion in mud and water, lack of maintenance, and so on. Total replacement is generally not a cost effective fix and more often than not overkill, when a little diagnosis may be in order.  

Edited by randyscycle - 05 Feb. 2010 at 3:24am
It isn't leaking, it's just marking its territory.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2010 at 3:27am
http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229253   its about wranglers but lots of good links..

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 3:04am
I guess you could say that the biggest problem is a total lack of confidence. You never know what it's going to come up with next. It will run fine for several weeks, then-- who knows? During my commute to/from work (16 miles each way) it may "stumble"-- like someone turned the switch off&back on very quickly. Might do this once, or 2-3 times. Might do it tomorrow, maybe not.  One morning it refused to fire- cranked great, but no start. Had to drive my pickup (70 Chevy w/ Q-jet & HEI. I'd trust it anywhere) to work 3 days. Saturday morn, gonna diagnose the XJ, still no start. Hooked-up the ol' fuel pressure guage, good fuel pressure & still no start. Pulled #1 plug wire & connected spark tester, and it fired right up! Ran on 5. Good for a long time after that. Sometimes when I start it up, it'll go to 2000 RPM's or so, maybe just up & back down to idle, maybe it'll hold at 2000 for several seconds, maybe as many as 15-20. Sometimes it doesn't slow down at all, I have to shut it off & re-start. Might be fine, maybe not. I really hate that, when I was a kid, we used to laugh at old people who would rev their motor at start-up because they couldn't hear it run. I'm close to 60, and that embarrasses the hell out of me.  And, when I go to the parts store, 88, 89, & 90 Cherokees with 4.0 don't exist. It's harder to find parts for than the Flatfender's. Yeah, I know about the bad grounds, the dirty connections, Bubba, and what have you, I was there for the introduction of HEI and then TBI and TPI. And diagnosis? How? There's no access to the system, and no specs. And as we all know, it's hard to diagnose anything that's working right at the time. I just want a system that starts & runs every time, with predictable characteristics, that I can diagnose if need be, and get parts for. Maybe it's just me-- probably my dislike for anything French comes from the time in the mid- 70's when I worked at an AMC dealership-- we also had RenaultWackoDeadConfusedOuchThumbs Down.  BW

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 3:18am
So I guess you don't want to go out and find a nice Le Car to replace it with then? Tongue (I actually owned one of those in '81.I'm so glad I sold it before it started to break...)

Have you done the crank sensor in that Cherokee yet?

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2010 at 3:40am
Yeah, the ONLY time it quit and stayed down, that was it. That's one thing that seems to be constant with all the manufacturers-- it's as if they don't WANT you to change a crank sensor, they all put them in an almost inaccessable location.LOL  BW

sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2010 at 10:29pm
My cousin built a HEI set up for his 258, he used a HEI distributor out of 250 chevy six, and the 258 distributor, did some mix and matching, some slight machine work and he was done.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2010 at 12:03am
How about a 91 or newer 4 liter  head swap with Chrysler MPI?
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2010 at 1:33am
I thought about that Ralf, it would be quite involved. All the electronics would have to be removed & replaced, in addition to changing the head. Still an option though. But then again, so's a 350Approve.  BW

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2010 at 4:13am
My Jeep Buddy recommends buying a XJ with the HO 4 liter that is wrecked, not running, needs tranny or otherwise cheap.  Then swap out what you need, sell what you can and junk the rest.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply