Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cooling.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooling.
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 2:04pm
I've been searching the forum for awhile. I just finished a rebuild on a replacement motor. I'm running hot and can't figure out why. I have a 160 therm and the radiator was put in new in 2012 and ran relatively cool before the rebuild. I'm thinking the Omix radiator is the issue here as there isn't much to this system. Is anyone using after market radiators? If so what brand and are you using a factory fan or electric?

Thanks.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Red Willy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 2:25pm
Common problem is air trapped in the system. Cure is to drill a small hole in the thermostat to allow the air to pass back to the radiator. Search the forum there are a few threads on this.
Glen
49 CJ3A
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 4:36pm
Thanks. I was thinking about doing that. I spoke to George at Army Jeep Parts and I'll be buying a new radiator at the Aberdeen Maryland swap meet May 11-13.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 7:15pm
I was overheating in my l134. Flushed system no help. Replaced radiator with aluminum 3 row that didn't have a shroud. Still overheated. Installed a shallow electric fan that for in front of stock fan. Still showing 220 on drive around town. Double checked with  habd held heat sensor gun. Actually running 160. Gauge had malfunctioned after a few overheats.
Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 7:25pm
added a themostatic control switch that turns the electric fan when it reaches 180. Love how it works. Will post pictures if you are interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply