Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cracked rear hub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cekees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cracked rear hub
    Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 7:07pm
I've been rebuilding my cj2a brakes and found this crack in the rear hub while cleaning the hubs. I found a few older posts where people mentioned similar cracks. Anybody have an opinion on whether these are from impacts while driving or using too much force with the axle key?  Recommend that I replace the hub? 
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2016 at 8:27pm
 I believe the most common cause for that crack is improper installation of the hub and key. The hub should be slid onto the axle shaft with the two keyways aligned and then slide the key in. If the key is placed in the axle keyway, then the hub is slid on, this is what happens.
  Absolutely replace that hub!     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 1:05am
Yip, replace the hub. As Bruce said align the hub and axle and then put in the key. If the key won't slide in past the end of the hub, it is upside down so pull it out and turn it over.
uncamonkey
cekees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cekees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 7:24pm
OK, thanks a lot. I'll definitely replace it and install the key as you've described. 
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2016 at 6:27pm
I have seen many tapered hubs crack like that, DO NOT USE grease or any lube to put it on I always fit them dry. I put a small amount of grease on the outer surface that goes through the seal.
Tony
A.L.Fain
El Mariachi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Mariachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2016 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Paleot Paleot wrote:

I have seen many tapered hubs crack like that, DO NOT USE grease or any lube to put it on I always fit them dry. I put a small amount of grease on the outer surface that goes through the seal.
Tony

Is there a special reason why you don't use any grease, NeverSieze, silicone spray, Boeshield, vaseline or dry lube, et al?.....
Paleot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paleot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2016 at 1:28am
They are a friction fit, if you lube them when you torque them down they will usually split at the keyway. Also the dry fit actually helps to keep the axle from slipping and shearing the key.
A.L.Fain
 Post Reply Post Reply