Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D18 transfer case project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 3:38pm
Yeah That's a quality looking "I" shaft. 
Great idea on the chamfering.
I've been using OEM NOS shafts and also some AA tapered shafts.

I already got my latest TC all finished except for the companion flange.
Does not take long when all parts are ready to go.
This one ended up with .004 output shaft play.

Because I have a late companion flange the parking brake drum was .15" from seating the shoes where they need to run inside the drum.
Opposite to your situation my parking drum was not pulling in far enough.
I may end up putting the yoke on a machine lathe to shorten the flange down to the later specs.  

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 5:04pm
Nice to have OEM parts!

With all I've learned about the D18 over the last month, and making or buying all the needed tools, I'm sure the next one will go quicker. So long as I remember everthing. Thats one reason for this thread - future referenceBig smile
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 5:33pm
Right .........anymore my brain malfunctions and I have to review my own threads to see what I might already know.

T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 7:40pm
It is done! A friend came over today and helped me torque the shaft nuts. After that I buttoned everthing up. Its ready to mate to its brother the T90. Thanks Oldtime and everyone else who offered tips and advice, and to Bob for the rear bearing cap. Without all your help, I wouldn't have got this done.

I made a series of videos as I went that captured my experiences along the way. I put the up on youtube.
Floater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 3:03pm
Hi Steve - 

I just watched your last three videos on your D18. EXCELLENT!  Thumbs Up 

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I was impressed by how thoroughly you covered the trouble spots in the assembly (like that locking plate gasket) and by how clean your shop is (I'm OCD myself).

Thanks again,
Reg
"More time under it than in it..."

M201 Super Jeep
Plattsburgh, NY
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Floater Floater wrote:

Hi Steve - 

I just watched your last three videos on your D18. EXCELLENT!  Thumbs Up 

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I was impressed by how thoroughly you covered the trouble spots in the assembly (like that locking plate gasket) and by how clean your shop is (I'm OCD myself).

Thanks again,
Reg

Thanks - glad you found them helpful.  For experienced TC builders, much of what I point out is common knowledge.  But for newbies like me and others to follow, those little things can bite you in the butt.  So that's why I thought it would be helpful to point them out.

Oh and by the way, my shop is not always clean.  Its a mess when I'm working, I just clean it up before making the videosLOL
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 4:57pm
I also watched the videos and while not exhaustive on the topic I thought Steve does an excellent job.
Clear, concise, no stuttering, no repeats, and technical terms used are all spot on. 

And the TC itself actually looks pro rebuilt.
Zero aftermarket parts

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2019 at 5:23pm
Thanks guys.  There are good, thorough "how to" videos out there.  Since I didn't know "how to", I didn't even tryLOL.  I just wanted to share my learning experiences - it was fun.  BTW, I added one last night on mating the T90 to the D18.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678