Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dana 18 gears and yoke/flanges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dana 18 gears and yoke/flanges
    Posted: 02 July 2017 at 2:54am
I am looking for cheap and good factory or NOS Dana 18 gears.

Output shaft sliding gear 18-8-17 1251

Output shaft gear 18-8-18 951

Also looking for the rear output companion flange and front yoke.

Shipped to 97103 Astoria Oregon.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 12:26am
Dang I should of came and said hi.  We were just in your town a few weeks ago passing thru.  Had to stop at our favorite fish and chips The Bowpicker.
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:07pm
Where should I check for wear on the gears? I have two cases in the shed I can check, I'll grab some pictures if you'd like.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2017 at 12:39am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Where should I check for wear on the gears? I have two cases in the shed I can check, I'll grab some pictures if you'd like.

The teeth. Big smile   Mine look like someone never touched the clutch and forced them into gear, chipping big chunks out of the teeth. 
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:59pm
I'm pretty sure the 1251 and 951 are date stamps.

Mine are marked 1047 (Oct 1947?)

I haven't located the loose front yoke yet, but I have another if I don't find it. I'll keep looking.

The gears have some rust pitting, so on the pictures of the tooth faces, I tried to find the worst spot.

Here's 18-8-17.

Here's 8-18

and the companion flange:

I know you said "good factory or NOS ... gears". If the pitting is a no-go, I completely understand.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 8:44pm

I'm pretty sure the 1251 and 951 are date stamps
Learn something new everyday! I never knew that, so that dates my case as a '52.

Pitting doesn't bother me, if it is not too bad. Obviously I am trying to find the best looking gears but also on a limited budget. ( I know you know what I mean! The 8-18 is better then what I have. ( Mine is missing big chunks on the smaller teeth.)

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 9:04pm
let me know if you decide you want them. They'll be here. I took it apart because it was making noise. Turned out the countershaft gear is worn out inside. I ended up picking up a couple more t-cases over the last couple years, so these are spare parts.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 12:55am
PM will be written and sent after I post this.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 7:39pm
Bumpo. Still need.   Trying to start the motivation process to get my Willys moving again! It has been too long since I drove it!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 1:28am

I'm pretty sure the 1251 and 951 are date stamps.

Yes, those are date stamps. December 1951 and September 1951 respectively. Gears with the same part number but different date stamps are totally interchangeable. For example: a gear with the number 18-8-17 1251 would be interchangeable with a gear marked 18-8-17 548. A gear marked 18-8-17 1251 would NOT interchange with one marked 18-8-18 1251.

The part number 18-8-17 meant that it fit a Model 18 gearbox and the 8 meant it was a gear. The 17 referred to the particular gear in an engineering drawing. Each gear with a different design has a different part number and is not interchangeable with gears with different part numbers.

It can be noted that in some instances the gear might say 18-8-28 but be found in some other gearbox, for example, a Model 20. This would have meant that the gear originally had an application in a Model 18 gearbox but was also used in a Model 20. This wouldn't happen very often, but did at times.

Warning: Interesting history follows that does not apply to jeeps:

The Model 24 transfer case was a heavy duty transfer case used in Ford 3/4 ton trucks until 1972 when Ford replaced it with the New Process Gear Model 205 transfer case. The Model 24 had its gears marked 23-8-xx (with xx representing any number used as an example). This was because the Gears were first used in a Model 23 transfer case that was used in some early Chevy and GMC trucks to replace the Napco transfer case and it had a right hand front output to match the front axle on the truck. When Ford specified that they wanted to front output to be on the left, Dana Spicer built a mirror image of the Model 23, called it a Model 24 with almost everything in it identical to the Model 23 except for the housing, bearing end caps, and shift rails. Both the Model 23 and the Model 24 had a SUPER noisy low range because of very large spur gears used on the low range set of gears.     
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 7:11pm
Dennis,

My apologies for not getting this out the door yet. I'm on it now

Les
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2017 at 7:37pm

Dennis,

My apologies for not getting this out the door yet. I'm on it now

Les

No worries Les. I know you've been busy with your project.
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 2:57am
This are the exact two gears I need. I take it this deal was completed and the gears are gone?

Just thought I'd double check...

Thanks,

Steve
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by srlbotanical srlbotanical wrote:

This are the exact two gears I need. I take it this deal was completed and the gears are gone?

Just thought I'd double check...

Thanks,

Steve

I'm still looking for gears as well.
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2018 at 10:06pm
Would you be interested in a fully functional D-18? Took mine out to install one of Herm's big mouth D-18s with the Tera low gears. Worked great, sitting in my garage. Make an offer. I did go out and look in a tub full of gears. Found a D-8-18 you can have but one tooth is half broken off. Found a very nine -19 you are welcome to for postage. Couldn't find the -17. Got to be there somewhere but I didn't see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply