Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dashboard switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashboard switch
    Posted: 23 Dec. 2016 at 6:06pm
I have searched for push/pull switches without success; I wanted something to complement the utility nature of the CJ and all I could find was plastic versions intended for enclosed cabins. I've just spent a couple of hours creating a prototype dashboard switch to replicate the original Willys push/pull light switch. I only need a single action latching version for the heater at this point, but have kept the construction  simple so I can easily repeat it if necessary. The 6 mm threaded rod accepts the pull knob, the rod is passed through a UNF seat belt securing screw that's been drilled  through. The nut inside the frame will be secured to the frame, allowing removal of the screw to pass it through the dashboard. 
I did it this way to avoid having a thread showing on the dash and also to ensure that the unit can be tightened  with out fear of stripping a short thread. It works remarkably well even without the washers fixed to the shaft in prototype form. (they will of course be secured) The switch is not modified so it will be easily replaced and it's enclosed so oxidation shouldn't be a problem.  Yes, I did use a lathe to drill the set screw and reduce the thickness of the nut. 
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2016 at 6:36pm
Necessity is a mother......, Uh... is the mother of invention.

Looks like a good solution...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2016 at 9:43pm
Have you tried looking into marine stuff or possibly something made for farm or construction equipment. Just a thought, good luck. It always more fun to make your own stuff anyway.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2016 at 12:10am
That's a smart way to do it!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2016 at 6:52am
[QUOTE=leecarr]Have you tried looking into marine stuff or possibly something made for farm or construction equipment. Just a thought, good luck. It always more fun to make your own stuff anyway. [/QUOTE
Thanks for that..... I didn't give it a thought, not my field so not switched on! Look what I found: son of Willys.  (ebay uk)

montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2016 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Bob3b Bob3b wrote:

That's a smart way to do it!

Perhaps not so smart since leecarr pointed me to the boat yard!! Thanks anyway.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2016 at 5:18pm
Pollak Push Pull Switches

http://products.pollakaftermarket.com/viewitems/switches-push-pull-type-switches/extra-heavy-duty-push-pull-switches

Will handle 75 amps 6-28V and even have a threaded stem that a Willys Light switch knob will screw on to (some clearancing has to be done on the neck of the knob)

I will have 6 of these switches along with one of their OFF-ON-ON switches (mounted backwards to control my electric fan ON auto / On manual / Off )
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2016 at 6:44pm
Ready to fit. I think l'll fold a cover for it to extend its life.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2016 at 7:12pm
   Clap   Thumbs Up

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply