Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 26>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

....For those not aware,  using the centered D300 xfer results in a short driveshaft with excessive angles at u-joints.  (in my case it is 12 degrees,   not at the limit,  but getting close).    I will be using a CV driveshaft,  which requires cutting the spring perches on D44 and rotating the pinion yoke up.....
When I got my double cardan drive shaft from Tom Woods, I had him grind the yokes to give them more angular clearance:

... also whenever you are going down the road under load, the axle will want to wrap upward, at least a little bit. For this reason, I would recommend tilting your pumpkin so that the pinion is 1 degree below parallel to the driveshaft. 1 degree is within tolerance any way and this way, under acceleration, your hog's head can wrap 2 degrees and still only be 1 degree off of parallel. I actually went 2 degrees below center on mine but my springs are longer:

... it does make a difference on vibration in my case anyway. I would suggest using wedges for now to set your angle and then wheel the vehicle a bit to get the springs to settle in. Then when you are happy with your geometry, you can cut the perches and relocate them. I never did cut my perches. I made 3 degree steel shims. I actually welded them to the axle perch to make sure they would not come out. Through the 4 year project, I had them in, had them out, flipped them around, you name it. Currently, i don't need them with the last set of changes I made. MMV

The last time I got a drive shaft, I got the longer splines because I got tired of lengthening and shortening my drive shaft every time I made an engineering change:

The only other down side to the double cardan is that every time you make a simple engineering change, it throws all your angles off. If you move the axle, it throws everything off. If you add or remove lift, it changes your angles.... but, it's the only option with a centered diff and 80" wheelbase. You don't have these problems with a D18. This is why I recommend using wedges to get your geometry correct first.

Edited by jpet - 03 May 2018 at 6:44pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:59pm
I forgot about the hose being too short to work in that position.  Sounds like you are making good progress on it. 
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

... also whenever you are going down the road under load, the axle will want to wrap upward, at least a little bit. For this reason, I would recommend tilting your pumpkin so that the pinion is 1 degree below parallel to the driveshaft. 1 degree is within tolerance any way and this way, under acceleration, your hog's head can wrap 2 degrees and still only be 1 degree off of parallel. I actually went 2 degrees below center on mine but my springs are longer:
I remembered you saying something about this in Universal thread, but could not remember the details.     Thanks for sharing here,  that will save me going back to find it.  :-)

I never did cut my perches. I made 3 degree steel shims. I actually welded them to the axle perch to make sure they would not come out.  
I am surprised you only needed 3 degrees.   I am using stock springs and at first made some wooden wedges to mock everything.  They were so thick at the front I could not get the U-bolt nuts to grab. Confused 

This is why I recommend using wedges to get your geometry correct first.
Too late for me LOL  already cut the perches.     I can weld close,  then if necessary, use minor shims for fine tuning.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I am surprised you only needed 3 degrees. 
... hold it a sec. I'm not being accurate. Initially i did cut the perches and re-weld them. I set the alignment so that the pinion and driveshaft were parallel. with new springs. Then we set everything on it, and started driving it around. After this, the angle was off so I made a 3 degree shim. Then as the springs started settling in, I had to change the angle again.... then when I changed springs, I had to change the angle again ... then when those springs broke in, I had to change the angle again .... moved axle, change angle again... etc, etc, etc.
Quote Too late for me ... already cut the perches.     I can weld close,  then if necessary, use minor shims for fine tuning....
I would just get them close and tack them in, Then maybe flex the jeep out a little to see what happens before going nuts with the welder. Maybe you won't need shims.

Edit: if anything, the Jeep will settle down so maybe start with the pinion pointed 2 or 3 degrees below parallel to driveshaft.   Tack the perches on. Get all the weight on the springs including passengers. Maybe drive the Jeep around a bit and flex it out. Then check your angles.

Edited by jpet - 03 May 2018 at 9:41pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 5:25am
Thanks Jeff,  that makes more sense now,  (that the perches were moved at one point)

There should be no settling in . .  I am not changing any of the springs,  and as far as I know the rears are original '46ers Smile     I did swap out the fronts 25+ years ago with some from JC Whitney. LOL  Must have been decent though,  I have no complaints.  

Your suggestion is very close to my plan.   Tomorrow I hope to have the real engine/tranny/xfer in the frame.  (tub not on it yet)  I plan to load down the frame with some weight, and heavily tack the spring perches with minus 2 deg.  

If after the body is on,  any testing,  and hopefully Wellsville etc.  I will review the angles and make any adjustments if necessary.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 4:47am

I got a few things done this past weekend,  in between all the other obligations.   Still feeling anxious about have a drivable Jeep for Spring Reunion,  but hopeful it will work out.

The real engine,  tranny, xfer are installed (some drama there,  but no time to share detail) . .   clutch linkage is done, a custom bracket required . . . The exhaust is tacked up, from manifolds to back of Jeep . . perches on rearend are welded, new rear driveshaft fits (I had to order it from mocked-up dimensions,  so was a little worried something might change)  . .  other small stuff done.

I was hoping to have a running engine in frame at the end of weekend. .  I did not quite achieve that,  but kinda close.    With some temp wiring,  and some gas poured into carb, on first crank  ->  the engine fired up  (for a few seconds Smile )    Filled the garage with smoke,  but sounded decent while it lasted LOL

Tomorrow I will rig up a temp fuel tank,  and hopefully run a little longer.   I want to make sure have a good running engine,  no crazy noises in trans/xfer etc. ,   before working OT on trying to get everything else finished this week.  

Edited by JeepFever - 07 May 2018 at 2:25pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 5:03am

The engine runs!!    Clap    Can't get too excited yet,  but at least it was not knocking or something obviously bad.

After attaching fuel pump, and running a fuel line to gas can -> hit the "starter" and it fired right up.  The timing looked close,  can't believe I got that lucky on eye-balling the distributor first try.    It is tough trying to get the rotation correct on an HEI distributor on this engine.  The cap is so large, not a lot of options that work.

I learned one thinbg,  the tranny shifter cover needs to be bolted down with gasket etc.   I was surprised how much oil leaked out after a couple minutes at high idle. Shocked   . .  (I had it fastened down with a few bolts, but no gasket or sealant)

Could not run it too long,  no coolant in block.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get the radiator attached and run longer.
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:26am
That's a great step. Congratulations Tongue
Rick Estes
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:11pm
Excellent!  You are making great progress, must be working around the clock! 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 4:19am
Progress!  YAY!!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:39pm
Jeff,

I am having the same problem under full droop I iniatally attempted to solve by adding a 2 degree shim, which helped, but now I will get out the grinder.  Question:  On the yoke that you ground it looks like you removed material off the pinion side yoke. but on the Woods shaft it looks like he removed material off the shaft side yoke.  Does it make any difference which side.
Thanks,
Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

Jeff,

I am having the same problem under full droop I iniatally attempted to solve by adding a 2 degree shim, which helped, ....
Your pinion shaft has to be parallel with your transfer case output shaft so you just can't stick wedges in to help your binding problem.
Quote ....but now I will get out the grinder.  Question:  On the yoke that you ground it looks like you removed material off the pinion side yoke. but on the Woods shaft it looks like he removed material off the shaft side yoke.  Does it make any difference which side...
You grind the end that binds. My front shaft was binding at the transfer case end so I ground the front TC yoke. My rear shaft was binding at the second joint in the double cardan Tom Woods ground it. Even with that, I still have limit straps front and rear, otherwise they would bind.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:59pm
I have not been on the forum much,   trying to spend as much time in garage as possible. LOL  It has been a crazy 2-weeks.   Trying to keep up with mowing grass,  put a garden in,  family gathering each weekend,  AND work on Wilson.

Since the last report, 
 - got the exhaust fully welded, installed,  and put some heat wrap on in critical areas,  
 - finished all the brake lines,  front pads, rear shoes, bled the lines etc.
 - installed transfer-case (twice Ouch,  after making more mods to crossmember) 
 - new rear driftshaft
 - Changed steering shaft routing to clear new master cylinder
 - Installed twin-sticks,  needed major rework for where I have D300 clocked
 - tub on frame
 - Hooked up radiator, fan etc. (took longer than expected)
 - some "tuneup" to get engine running smoother.   (still running on gas can)

Still lots to go,   but hopeful to have running Jeep for Spring Reunion.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:43pm
Took Wilson for a test run early this morning before work.  Seems to be running fine.   Love the 69:1  !! should be lots better on slow trails.    Did not get it up to speed to see what 4th gear feels like with the 3.73

The engine is noticeably more powerful than before.  Not sure if just because it is fresh,  the Comp cam,  or likely because the exhaust is not smashed down to the cross-sectional area of a hot dog.  LOL  Probably a little of all 3

One bad thing I noticed.  The pinion seal on rear is leaking like crazy.   I did overfill,  because it is pointing up,  but it still should not be leaking.   Looks like I am going to have to make up my mind ,  and get a "locker" in there (along with rebuild) sooner than I planned.   Otherwise I am going to be leaving a spot of oil everywhere I park.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:48pm
Wow - that's fantastic.  I really didn't think you'd get it on the road this quickly.  Well done! 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:57am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

Wow - that's fantastic.  I really didn't think you'd get it on the road this quickly.  Well done! 

Choice was to "do it right", and not make the show,  or cut some corners, and redo later. Embarrassed

I took the latter.  haha

When I loaded on trailer to head to Willys Spring Reunion,  it had a few miles on it.  Some going up and down the road in front of my house,  some in the woods seeing if locker worked on rocks etc.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 5:15am
Overall  I like the update so far.   The engine seems to be running fine,  it sounds so much better without all the exhaust leaks the other engine had before. LOL

69:1 is MUCH nicer than 37:1  . . obviously I don't have a lot of experience yet,  but loading on trailer is noticeably easier.   Instead of holding the brakes to keep speed down,  then once at the mark, quickly pushing clutch, and applying brakes harder . .   now it is just slowly idling up the ramps, and casually stopping. :-)

Currently there is 18 miles on the odometer.  (a trip to grocery store while at Willys reunion,  and a caravan to picnic that weekend).

All is not great though,   the rear pinion-seal leak is hideous.  In 18 miles, the diff lost half its oil.    My first thought was to replace the seal and yoke, and drive for a few weeks to decide if I want to keep the 3.73 gears.   . .  but the bearings seem like they might be worn also.    I made decision to do it all,  rebuild kit,  along with Eaton TrueTrac .    Parts are ordered. 

I am so anxious to drive Wilson,  but will be a couple more weeks now.   (need to install everything,  plus some vacation travel coming up)

Edited by JeepFever - 22 May 2018 at 9:55pm
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:37am
You got to make the show with it and got to identify some bugs. Now you can take the time to get everything right. That was a herculean effort to get it together in time. My hat is off to you sir! 

If the timing is right, I'd like to come out and help (read that as learn)  when you install the locker. I've never even seen oneBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 26>