Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 2:04am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

I just remembered another reason I thought about trying the electric choke.    The choke cable on Wilson was stuck.   I could not pull it out at all.   After soaking in penetrating oil,  it has started moving,  but can only get it to pull out about 3/4" so far.   In case I ever do want to go manual one day,  I think I will keep trying to work it loose.   

Should the cable eventually pull all the way out,   or is there a designed stop?   

If nothing else works, Boil it in Oil. OK, you do not need to get the oil to a boil, but if you heat the oil up to about 150 degrees F. it should break loose & work smoothly. At least this has been very successful for me so far, on 5 rusted solid cables & counting.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

If there's a kink on the end of the cable, and there usually is, you won't be able to pull it past the kink. 
Other than that, it's just a smooth cable, actually more like a thin rod, inside a lumpy sheath. 
 . . . 

The inner "rod" extends about 2" beyond the sheath,  and is mostly straight  (just a small bend from the end).    So that is not the cause of "stop".

Cpt Logger:   I do not have cable removed from dash yet.   I might try the heated oil bath if all else fails.

I am in no hurry to fix this.    We will see how the electric choke does over next couple months.    I might give the choke cable a soaking of acetone/atf  every so often to see if that frees it up.   I have been using Kroil so far.   It has made some progress,  after at least 200 pull/pushes,  it pulls out 3/4"  . .  it would not budge at all when I first tried.  
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:20am
Today, weaving thru the woods on a firewood run ->   I was reminded that the bolts that limit turning radius needed some adjustment.   The '80 CJ-7 axle I swapped in must have been adjusted for tires with a lot more inward offset.     The NDT's currently on Wilson were 2"+ from hitting the springs at full lock.  (I did not measure the gap,  but it was large)

I adjusted the bolts to give approx. 1/2" of clearance on NDTs.    The wheels at full-lock now have a much larger turning angle.    I have not driven since the adjustment,   but Wilson should have a significantly smaller turning radius now.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 3:31pm
Willys Motors states that Spicer Joints should be limited to 27-1/2* turning angle.

Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Willys Motors states that Spicer Joints should be limited to 27-1/2* turning angle.

Thanks!   I was not sure where to look for that spec.    You saved me the time!  Smile

I will measure to be sure I am not exceeding that.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 1:12am
Turns out it is adjusted to almost exactly 27.5 deg.!    (Assuming my math skills are not too rusty) LOL
I used a laser level to strike a datum plane down the side of Jeep, parallel to the centerline.   With the front wheel turned to full lock,  the front of the rim was 8" further away from the plane than the rear.   The rim is approx. 17.5" diameter . . .  the arcsine of (8 divided by 17.5) = 27.2 degrees

|\
     |       \          17.5"
 8" |              \
     |                     \
     |                             \  <- 27.2 deg.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2018 at 3:42pm
Don't you just love it when things go right !
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2018 at 4:39am
Earlier I mentioned getting a new pickup coil for distributor.   They shipped the wrong one. Confused   Long story - > short,  I returned it,  but in the process,  (due to a good deal at the time . . .25% off)   I ended up also getting a complete refurbished distributor.

I plan to install the "new" distributor,   but will have the old one (with new pickup coil) available to carry on overland trips.    Hopefully Wilson will never again be stuck in the middle-of-nowhere without spark.

That was a scary feeling on Rubicon this past summer. Ouch
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 4:17am
I am loving Wilson these days!!   I have been driving a fair amount the past few weeks,  and there are some noticeable improvements.

Distributor:
It is very noticeable how much quicker it fires up after putting in the rebuilt distributor.  Literally the key turns, starter barely catches and it is running . . . it seems like the first piston fires,  haha   . .  it has me a little puzzled why there would be any improvement,  because electrically the only difference is the pickup coil.  I have not yet swapped out the cap, coil, wires, plugs etc.  . .  can a pickup-coil really make this much difference?  
Also,  the engine always seemed to have a little "miss" before   . . I can hear none of that now.

Carburetor:
It has been running flawless the past few weeks . . no hesitation or flat spots at any throttle position/movement.     
I also really like the electric choke.  Even today in mid 20's weather,  it started fine,  and ran with no issue. 

Front E-locker:
Works every time I switch it on

Reduced turning radius:
Can't believe I did not check those adjusting bolts earlier.   So much nicer weaving thru the woods,  backing the trailer,  and other times.   It is a noticeable difference in how much sharper it turns now.

I wish Wilson was running like this back in the Summer on the "bucket list" tour.   I would have tried some harder lines at Rubicon,  and might have even attempted Escalator in Moab.  :-) 

Edited by JeepFever - 20 Dec. 2018 at 5:38pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2019 at 4:35am
Yesterday we got about 8" of snow.  I did not have a lot of time,  but wanted to try out the NDT's in snow.

Also, my wife wanted to go for a exercise "walk" on the trails behind our house (this gave me a good excuse to drive around and pack down some tracks).   Some of these trails are decently steep and she told me "you will get stuck, and waste a bunch of time" LOL

She was close to being correct,  but I did make it out.   

The snow had melted/compacted some,  to a nice "snowball" texture.  Everything was easy except the steepest hill:
- tried crawling in rear only = no way 
- tried crawling in 4wd (limited rear - open front) = no way 
- tried crawling in 4wd (limited rear - locked front) =  it "might" have made it,  spinning and moving,  but I did not want to dig thru the snow and make ruts in the trail.

With some speed,  locked up,  I made it up the hill without too much spinning.

It is hard to judge how NDT's would have done compared to KM2's or SuperTraxions.   If I had the time,  it would have been fun to swap them out and try.

One disadvantage of the NDTs for sure ->  they did not pack down the snow, for a walking trail,  as good as the wider tires I used to run on Wilson.  Wink

Edited by JeepFever - 29 Jan. 2019 at 4:10am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2019 at 4:13am
Hopefully I don't jinx myself,  but I am so happy with how much better Wilson runs after carb rebuild, electric choke, and new distributor.

This past week,  temps in the low 20's or teens,  it fired right up each day,  and had no issues at all.
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 4:26am
Nice! Be interesting to see if it will light tomorrow>
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2019 at 5:10am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Nice! Be interesting to see if it will light tomorrow>

Our coldest morning will not be tomorrow (15 deg) . .  but will be Thurs (8 deg) . .  I would be tempted to leave Wilson out in that, and see what happens on startup,   but don't want to test the antifreeze. LOL

For the next couple nights, it will be in unheated garage . . but should not get much lower than 25 or so.
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 3:49am
Ron, what jet size are you running in your Rochester 2 Jet? Did you jet it any different for the Rubicon or Colorado? I have the same carb and I am running 55 size jets which in Colorado last summer seemed to be way too large. I was told after the fact by a knowledgeable carb guy that I should drop 3-5 jet sizes at elevation compared to what I run here in Kansas. We are about 1400 above sea level here where I live.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:29am
Originally posted by AKoller AKoller wrote:

Ron, what jet size are you running in your Rochester 2 Jet? Did you jet it any different for the Rubicon or Colorado? I have the same carb and I am running 55 size jets which in Colorado last summer seemed to be way too large. I was told after the fact by a knowledgeable carb guy that I should drop 3-5 jet sizes at elevation compared to what I run here in Kansas. We are about 1400 above sea level here where I live.

I am not sure what jet size is in this carb.   I assume it is what came stock in '68 Commando.  (the donor engine)

Unfortunately,  I can not say for sure how well this carb worked at altitude.   In my haste to get Wilson put together for the trip this past summer,  I did not hook up the heat riser line to choke.   I think that may have led to an intermittent issue that carb would run poorly.  Wilson would alternate between running fine,  or stumbling just above idle.    After the trip, I replaced the stock choke with an electric choke, and plugged some ports,  this possibly eliminated some intermittent air leaks   . . .   the rough running (just above idle) has not come back since. . .  I would LOVE to repeat last summer's trip with current choke setup.

Concerning out west,  even at 12K elevation,  when Wilson was not having one of its bad spells,  it seemed to run fine.    I remember once on Imogene,  it would idle, and run ok at about 1/4 throttle,  but was stumbling badly in between those throttle positions.     At one point,  we were climbing a section and the carb backfired.  After that it was running very well.  (until the stumble returned later)

Is the size marked on the jet,   or does it have to be measured to determine size?   If I ever have to take top off carb again,   I can try to remember to check.

Edited by JeepFever - 02 May 2019 at 4:36pm
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 4:43am
Willys Spring Reunion is getting close,  so last week,  I came up with a list of things to do.   Currently, the list is 20+ tasks,  but I will probably only get a few of them done,  no major changes coming at this time. 

One of the simple ones -> replace that 25+ year-old air-filter.  Embarrassed

This should be good for at least 20% increased horsepower!!  (installing filter on the right)

Edited by JeepFever - 02 May 2019 at 4:04pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 5:10pm
Rochester 2G or 2GC main jets will have orfice diameter stamped onto them.
 49 50 51 or 52 
Smaller orfice diam = higher altitude
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2019 at 3:43am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Rochester 2G or 2GC main jets will have orfice diameter stamped onto them.
 49 50 51 or 52 
Smaller orfice diam = higher altitude

Are you saying that 49-52 would be a "normal" size?   If so,  then Alan's 55's might be rich at any elevation? 

edit: Now I am curious . .  I do not really want to pull the top off carb,  but I might.   haha

Edited by JeepFever - 03 May 2019 at 3:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 25>