Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 4:19pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 2:51am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I always say, "Planning is the opposite of adventure." 

Interesting thought,  and so true in many aspects.

I should mention that it was Roy Chapman Andrews who said it first.  He's the paleontologist who first found fossilized dinosaur eggs in Mongolia (?) about 80 or 90 years ago.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/building-a-universal-modified_topic28473_post276506.html#276506

My calipers come off with (2) 1/2-20 bolts

I can't tell for sure if your brackets look like the ones I am missing?   Is that Dana 30 from a stock CJ around '79-'81?    Are the rotors 7/8" thick?

Edit:  to show photo below:

I believe that this is what I am looking for:

Anyone have extras? Big smile  or know a good place to find them?    There was a set on Ebay,  but I hesitated to buy them,   thinking I might find mine,   . . .  but have looked everywhere,  and can not find them.  . .  now the eBay set has been sold. Cry

Edit:  nevermind . .  found mine !!!!  Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 30 Jan. 2018 at 5:33pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 3:21pm
Dana 30. I was told the calipers are Jeep. Rotor is 7/8" thick.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Dana 30. I was told the calipers are Jeep. Rotor is 7/8" thick.

Thanks,   sounds like the same setup I am hoping to use.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 5:56pm
Made a little progress over the weekend:

- Ordered the SM420 to D300 adapter and rebuild kit last week

- Assembled front axle to the mock frame,  photo below,   and moved into garage.
    (Now comes a tough part -> fabbing motor mounts to mock where the 225 currently is positioned in Wilson.   The front and rear axles are spaced same as '2A,  so now I just need to get engine located in frame,  same distances front-to-back.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 6:12pm
Looking good Ron!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

FYI there are long and short dana 300's also.

Are you referring to front output,  or rear output?

I just realized today that I lucked out,  and have the short rear output version.

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2018 at 4:20am
Today has been a GOOD day for the "Wilson" Dauntless project.

1) I learned that the transfer case is shorter than expected.  (longer rear driveshaft)

. . .  AND  . . .

2) I FOUND THE CALIPER BRACKETS !!!     Embarrassed to say that they were in my scrap-iron pile. Shocked Ouch   I am blaming my son,  haha,  can't imagine that I would have thrown them away.  Wink

So glad that I am an certified pack rat. Smile    and did not cash in my scrap pile before now.

For anyone viewing this thread in future,  and you have a '80 CJ Dana30 with discs,  hopefully you have the 2-bolt brackets above (labeled with "B",  otherwise they might be hard to find.  
The "C" calipers are readily available, but you would have to pay at least $20 each for cores,  plus the price of rebuilding.

I am so happy to have the brackets,  and know these will not be holding up the project !!  (and $40 worth of caliper cores,  LOL)

Edited by JeepFever - 31 Jan. 2018 at 4:19am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 3:46am
I did not have much time to work on project this evening,  but I was so curious to know if stock 16" wheels would clear the '80 Jeep 2-bolt calipers.

No go Ouch . .  I was hopeful,  but suspected that would be the case.    This was with brake pads that look almost new . . .  I am thinking with half worn-out pads -> it will be close.   (if the outside pads are thinner,  the caliper will move inboard for more clearance on the wheel).   I am tempted to grind down the pads and check again.  
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 6:22pm
Today was a little warmer,  so took off from work early to get the Dauntless out of shed,  before it gets really cold again.  

I sure hope this thing is a good as I was told by P.O.  . .   also hope that being in storage for 15 years has not hurt it.   (I sprayed fogging oil in spark plug holes,  and turned over,  about a year after I had it,  when I realized I was not going to use it right away.

Not an expert,  but I believe this to be a true Dauntless.  It had 2-barrel carb (and the air cleaner below)  when I picked it up.   (and a '68 Commando in the yard,  with no engine in it LOL

Oil-bath air-cleaner . .  I don't think this will fit under '2A hood.  LOL

Edited by JeepFever - 15 Aug. 2018 at 3:21am
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 7:26pm
Nice! I can sympathize. I was hoisting my TH350 trans today(which had been sitting in the garage for at least 10 years) and nice red oil came pouring out. I thought great, there is oil in it!

Too bad you can't use the air filter, it looks pretty cool.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 12:38am
Valve covers are Dauntless and not 231.
Oil bath air filter suggests it's pre 1970.
Left side foreward dump exhaust suggest it was from a CJ and not from a Commando.
1966 Dauntless had single barrel.
1967 thru 1971 were equipped the Rochester 2G two barrel.

Edited by oldtime - 02 Feb. 2018 at 12:40am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 3:24am
My 68 commando with 225 has front dump exhaust on LH side. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 3:51pm
Oh O.K. front dump on early Commando's.
I'm not a Commando guy but my rear dump Dauntless engine was pulled from a Commando
I just supposed that they all had rear dump exhaust.

The engine block number should verify its original application.
So whats the engine number on it ?

Edited by oldtime - 02 Feb. 2018 at 3:53pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 5:27pm
It was a long time ago that I picked up this engine,   I thought I remembered him saying the Commando was a '71,   but I could very easily be remembering that incorrectly.

Casting number is 1381623   which shows in this chart to be Kaiser Jeep:

edit: added link to "this chart"

I have not found the stamping that is referred to here:

Edit:
  I did eventually find the engine code . . it is very faint.

DPH =  Domestic     1968      9.0 to 1

Edited by JeepFever - 04 May 2019 at 3:45am
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 5:44pm
After cleaning,   ready to go into garage.

I did not realize the engine was two-tone until cleaning the grease off.    Would it come from factory like that,  or did someone do some with the valve covers?

Note:  that intake did not come with this engine.   That is the 1-barrel  intake that was on Wilson,   I swapped them out years ago.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 4:30am
That blue isn't the "correct" color for a Dauntless.  Somebody musta repainted the valve covers.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 26>