Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dauntless Drivetrain Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 4:32am
I started disassembly of engine.  For the most part this does seem to be a low mileage original.  The cylinder bores look good,  no big scores,  small ridge at top of bore.   The cylinder bores measure to stock diameter, and does not have much taper etc.

BUT . .  it seems to have started to eat the cam.   A couple of the cam lobes looked odd,  and the lifters in them seem excessively worn.    I have not "rebuilt" a lot of engines,  but of the ones I did,  I always thought the lifters were flat on the bottom.   These are concave.  All of the lifters, except 2,  look like the one on right.   The other 2,  with ugly cam lobes,  look like one on left. 

For certain,  a new cam and lifters are in plans for this engine.   I guess it does not slow down the progress too much,  but does add to expense.  

Anyone have thoughts on best cam for stock 2 barrel carb, etc. . . my preference is the best torque at low rpm. . . this will not be a drag racer,  but instead a trail crawler.    

Edited by JeepFever - 03 Feb. 2018 at 4:44am
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 2:30pm
So I'm going to copy your engine picker mover thing...thats the cats meow
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 2:32pm
could you post a photo of the cam lobes associated with those lifters? I am currently questioning the cam in the 225 I just broke down. Thanks
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 3:45pm
Your camshaft looks to be another victim of the ZDDP additive deficit.

This essay is still in the making but it contains some info about camshaft selection.
Scroll down to the section on engine modifications.
See: 

Also I have a NOS GM V6 camshaft available. 
Also have some other Dauntless parts listed.
See:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/oldtime-parts_topic41669.html

Edited by oldtime - 03 Feb. 2018 at 3:49pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 5:49pm
The last odd-fire I rebuilt got a Kenne-Bell end play adjuster in the front of the camshaft. Keeps the cam from moving fore and aft. Might help the cam and lifters live longer. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:25am
Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

could you post a photo of the cam lobes associated with those lifters? I am currently questioning the cam in the 225 I just broke down. Thanks

This photo shows how much the lobe was worn off.  Compare the difference of profile,  the far lobe is much "shorter" then its neighbor.

I am no expert,  but I find the wear patterns on this cam to be totally strange.   If I remember correctly,  every other engine I have taken apart in past years has wear evenly across the cam lobes.  This one seems to have the lifters only making contact on the outer edges of lobe.

I fell victim to the classic  "It ran good when I pulled it" scam.   How could it possibly run good when two of the cam lobes were gone,  and another was on its way.      Oh well,  most of the rest of engine seems ok.   Hopefully this will be good runner when done,  without sending to machine shop for complete rebuild.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:38am
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

This essay is still in the making but it contains some info about camshaft selection.
Scroll down to the section on engine modifications.
See: 

Also I have a NOS GM V6 camshaft available. 

Seems like stock cam is the way to go.   Would that GM V6 cam be the same as used in Jeep?  More importantly,  the best torque at low rpm,  smooth idle.   If so,  I would be interested.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 4:44am
I finally found the date code stamping,  after some sanding.   It is VERY shallow stamping,  but shows this to be a '68 Dauntless.
If chart I posted earlier is correct:
D= domestic
P= 1968
H=2bbl, 9.0 compression 

BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Originally posted by BryanB BryanB wrote:

This photo shows how much the lobe was worn off.  Compare the difference of profile,  the far lobe is much "shorter" then its neighbor.

I am no expert,  but I find the wear patterns on this cam to be totally strange.   If I remember correctly,  every other engine I have taken apart in past years has wear evenly across the cam lobes.  This one seems to have the lifters only making contact on the outer edges of lobe.

I fell victim to the classic  "It ran good when I pulled it" scam.   How could it possibly run good when two of the cam lobes were gone,  and another was on its way.      Oh well,  most of the rest of engine seems ok.   Hopefully this will be good runner when done,  without sending to machine shop for complete rebuild.
thanks, wow that gives me some perspective, mine is in better shape than I thought.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2018 at 4:49am
Ordered a cam kit yesterday and wondered why some of the websites noted that "some machining required" for valve seals. . . Today I removed the valves/springs and noticed this:

Are there really no valve stem seals on a stock Dauntless?   None on this one.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:16am
Ordered SM420-D300 adapter from Novak  -> backordered
Ordered cam kit for 225 -> backordered
Oh well,  plenty of other work to do.  With this amazing 70 degree weather today (in February),  I decided to push the mock frame outside and clean up the front axle. (some wire-wheel, and sand blasting) 

Now ready to install 3.73 gears and Elocker. 

Edited by JeepFever - 16 Feb. 2018 at 4:18am
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 11:14am
You are making good progress Ron.  I'd sure like to see more of this nice weather, but it looks like more rain for the next few days - Grrrrr.
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 12:35pm
Thanks ndnchf . . So far has been mostly tear down, clean up,  etc.

Engine: The cam kit is supposed to be here today,  I already have bearings, gaskets etc.  so should be able to start on putting engine back together.

Transmission: Novak agreed to send adapter (less the mainshaft due end of March),  at least with adapter casting,  I can mock up engine/tranny/xfer location,  and figure out cross-member etc.
Not sure how far I can get without mainshaft,  but maybe I could start on rebuild of SM420

Axles:  finally pulled the 3.73 ring and pinion from my junker front D30 (yesterday in warm weather).   Even though the gears looked ok when opening front cover,   there was some bad rust where the two met.   I will need to order new set.  I have the eLocker and bearings etc. already.  So should be able to start this soon
I am just going to leave the rear  D44 "open" for now.  it has 3.73's in it.   I have all new brake stuff to install.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 5:06am
Originally posted by JeepFever JeepFever wrote:

Are there really no valve stem seals on a stock Dauntless?   None on this one.

There were no seals on the valves of the '64 Buick V-6 I had in my first Jeep.   FWIW
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 11:39am
There were none on mine either. I suspect that seals were not factory installed until sometime in the 1970s, if ever.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 5:15am
Just realized that I forgot to take photo of the valve seals that came with cam kit.  They are what I "think" might be called "umbrella" seals. 
Made some progress over the weekend. . .  The bottom end is assembled.  Honed the cylinders, and installed new bearings for crank and rods.  

Heads are cleaned up,  valves lapped, ready for assembly.

These heads had "air injection" tubes in the exhaust ports,  I removed those because they most surely were restricting exhaust flow.

Also did a little "porting".  Nothing drastic,  just removing some obvious flow restrictions.
Lots of other cleanup done.   I forgot how time consuming this is. Ouch

Edited by JeepFever - 19 Feb. 2018 at 5:30am
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 8:30pm
I have a rebuilt 225 Dauntless from a '69 CJ5 on the engine stand in my shop. I have an SM420 standing by, but have decided to go with an AA bellhousing to a Ford wide ratio T18 transmission. The SM420 looks like it would be difficult to fit... only problem is that I do not have a CJ5 to put it in. So this project is going even slower than the CJ2A completion. Looking for a 65 - 71 CJ5 in a half - hearted kind of way.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2018 at 4:31am
Originally posted by Mike S Mike S wrote:

I have a rebuilt 225 Dauntless from a '69 CJ5 on the engine stand in my shop. I have an SM420 standing by, but have decided to go with an AA bellhousing to a Ford wide ratio T18 transmission. The SM420 looks like it would be difficult to fit... only problem is that I do not have a CJ5 to put it in. So this project is going even slower than the CJ2A completion. Looking for a 65 - 71 CJ5 in a half - hearted kind of way.
Not from experience,  but from reading.  ->   You are probably on the right course if keeping D18 transfer case.    With a D20 or D300 and centered diff,   I am hoping the SM420 bulge will not be as much of an issue.

I will share how the SM420 fits with D300 and D44 centered rear . .  hopefully in the next month or so. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>