Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dave's Kubota swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 5:18am
Thanks Larry...I read your posts probably 10 times and they were super helpful.
I'm learning a lot and having fun with the challenges. I don't consider myself skilled at all. I'm just not afraid to try.

My next big task is to fabricate a throttle linkage. I have a few ideas and will probably do something attached to the intake manifold.

Does anyone know why my photos are all sideways?
1947 CJ2A
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2017 at 8:05pm
Thanks for the kind words....:)

Everyone has a slightly different throttle linkage. My main concern was being able to retain a manual throttle and mine works great in that respect. I copied Daniel Buck's design (with some of my own modifications).

You are doing fine with your build.....and your work looks skilled to me. Clap

Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:54am
I highly suggest you dial indicate your bell-housing alignment.  Mine was like 25 thousandths out.  I ended up enlarging the two alignment bolt holes and shimming to keep the bolts to the correct side of the hole.  I'm sure Youtube has a video if you are unfamiliar with the procedure.

Keep up the work, the results are worth it.  I've got about 3000 miles on mine now.
Sammamishcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 5:48am
Here's my throttle assembly during a test fit.

Yes, it is made from a piece of my front bumper that was removed so I could fit the engine hoist close enough. I still need to extend the throttle lever and buy a linkage rod.

I ran around today looking for a linkage rod or parts to make one but had not luck. Searched Amazon for 30 mins...no luck. Found exactly what I needed on eBay in two minutes.
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 6:02am
@pjensen641 What was the clue that the bell housing was not aligned?
I assume that there was a driveline vibration.
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:19pm
No drive-line vibration.  I must have read about it somewhere about engine swaps.  I did it before I even put the engine in the Jeep.  It made a lot of sense to me since the input shaft load is shared with the pilot bearing, it would cause the transmission input shaft to be misaligned if there was significant offset.

The traditional way to get it aligned would have been offset dowel pins...Like if you were mating a GM engine or something to a new transmission.  Since these old jeeps don't use dowel pins, you have to get creative.

I don't think many people do this when doing the conversion, so I guess most get by.  Daniel Buck did have a clutch plate failure when he had his original T90 set -up, but I don't believe he checked his alignment either, so I can't say for sure if that was the cause.

I didn't see that you already had the engine in, so might not be worth it at this point.  Just something to keep in mind if you ever have issues in the future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:50pm
I hooked up my throttle linkage rod and drove up and down my driveway yesterday. Big milestone. I still need to do a lot of adjustments especially with getting the throttle to return to idle. Im not very happy about the throttle pedal position too as it seems too close to the brake pedal.

Funny part was when I put it in reverse to back out of the garage...I had forgotten that left the 4wd 2wd stick in neutral and so nada. After a brief panic I realized what was going on.
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:48pm
I remember the first drive, my buddy shot a video with his phoneSmile  I have a steep little section of drive out of my garage, so I was creeping and stopping several times to make sure the clutch and brakes worked (had just rebuilt everything).  Didnt have an exhaust system, so it dumped right out of the turbo....sounded like a semi tractor!

I had to double up on my return springs.  My set up is similar to yours.  My second spring pulls forward on the top of the bell crank.  It is hooked in to the end of an intake piping clamp.  With that one pulling forward, it balances things out a little to reduce the force on the little bearing.

Not much room for the gas pedal. I converted my stock pedal pull a cable "Lokar style".  Even the stock pedal in the stock position is pretty tight!  Takes a bit to work out all the little kinks after the first drive, but getting everything "just right" is quite rewarding.

Here is my thread in case you haven't seen it.  Haven't posted in quite a while, but need to make an update.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2017 at 6:35am
I ordered a new turbo kit from Greg and it arrives next week. I tried and failed on to make my own setup with a K03 VW turbo. I guess you could say that I hit my fabrication skill and tools limits. 

I’m super excited to hook this up and will probably be in the garage a few late nights this week. Smile
1947 CJ2A
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2017 at 7:22pm
Hey Dave....any updates?
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 4:55am
I made a ton of progress. 

1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 4:57am
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 4:59am

1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:14am
Greg’s kit is really nice and was pretty straightforward to install. 

I ran into a few issues with my existing large GM alternator not fitting under the down pipe but was able to find a Denso at Napa part number 213-8331 that fit like a dream. 

After everything was hooked up and “all set to go” I had a nightmare of an issue with air in fuel line. After installing a inline fuel pump and redoing all my connections I discovered that one of of the hardlines at the fuel pump was letting air in without leaking diesel. 😉

Edited by Sammamishcj2a - 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:54am
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:22am
As you can see in the photos I ran K&N air filter into the cowl. That end of my firewall was like Swiss cheese and had a heater that I removed. I ran a shop vac hose to a 2” rubber pipe fitting as I sometimes can’t wait on ordering from the internet when I‘m on a roll. 

Edited by Sammamishcj2a - 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:27am
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:25am
alternator differences 
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:26am
down pipe fit

1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 5:38am
The power that this turbo gives with the fuel adjustments (2 turns) is amazing. I didn’t do anything with the turbo boost and don’t have a boost gauge yet. It’s on order. So much power that I think that I have to look into better brakes. Smile

I need to finish the exhaust pipe and I think I’ll go with a 2 inch straight pipe under the driver side. The turbo really does make it quieter.  Greg’s down pipe is stainless and it seems like it would be a waste to not continue it as stainless. I’ve tried to keep my costs down mostly to keep the wife happy but also because it forces me to be more creative. 

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I still have a ton of tinkering yet to do. The previous owners had this jeep setup for harsher off-roading than I want to do and a lot of my work has been returning it to more streetable form. I’ve already lowered it and I’m looking to replace the Lincoln locker (welded) rear diff with a lock-right.  I’ll probably need to get an overdrive too.

If you are in doubt of doing this swap, don’t be. It is well worth it.  This engine is a perfect match for these incredible vehicles. 

Edited by Sammamishcj2a - 13 Dec. 2017 at 6:20am
1947 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>