Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dave's Kubota swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 6:48am
It's an interesting thought but the V6s in my jeeps do quite well. Perhaps not as good at the fuel mileage bit but they aren't my DDs. And I don't have to screw with the Jeeps.
uncamonkey
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Sammamishcj2a Sammamishcj2a wrote:

The power that this turbo gives with the fuel adjustments (2 turns) is amazing. I didn’t do anything with the turbo boost and don’t have a boost gauge yet. It’s on order. So much power that I think that I have to look into better brakes. Smile

I need to finish the exhaust pipe and I think I’ll go with a 2 inch straight pipe under the driver side. The turbo really does make it quieter.  Greg’s down pipe is stainless and it seems like it would be a waste to not continue it as stainless. I’ve tried to keep my costs down mostly to keep the wife happy but also because it forces me to be more creative. 

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I still have a ton of tinkering yet to do. The previous owners had this jeep setup for harsher off-roading than I want to do and a lot of my work has been returning it to more streetable form. I’ve already lowered it and I’m looking to replace the Lincoln locker (welded) rear diff with a lock-right.  I’ll probably need to get an overdrive too.

If you are in doubt of doing this swap, don’t be. It is well worth it.  This engine is a perfect match for these incredible vehicles. 

I second Daves thoughts. I have no regrets about the Kubota swap. I also used the small denso style alternator...works like a charm.

Dave....your work looks great! Another Kubota on the road! Woo hoo!

Edited by Lemield - 13 Dec. 2017 at 7:16pm
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

It's an interesting thought but the V6s in my jeeps do quite well. Perhaps not as good at the fuel mileage bit but they aren't my DDs. And I don't have to screw with the Jeeps.

I think the V6 is the best gas engine swap in these old Jeeps...I've had them and loved them too. :)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2017 at 9:33pm
You really can't do it in a Jeep but my neighbor put a Chevy I6 in his Scout. Quite an improvement. We have had to jump out a few times and help push the thing up a steep hill with the old motor.
uncamonkey
Jerkzack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerkzack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 2:20am

After everything was hooked up and “all set to go” I had a nightmare of an issue with air in fuel line. After installing a inline fuel pump and redoing all my connections I discovered that one of of the hardlines at the fuel pump was letting air in without leaking diesel. 😉

What was the reason for installing the fuel pump? Just curious!
1947 CJ2a
Sammamishcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2017 at 3:49am
I didn’t need to and the in-line pump. I thought that I had a gravity feed issue where I wasn’t getting enough flow to the filter I had mounted on the firewall (it was much higher originally)then to the fuel pump. I have the pump on a manual switch and so it might get use when I charge the fuel filter to fill the filter and bleed air out...but it’s not needed.

After a ton of trial and error I figured out that the main issue was just needing to tighten down the hardline from the fuel pump to the #1 injector. I also replaced the “bleeder knob” on the pump as it was missing when I got the engine and I hadn’t noticed until I got some advice from Greg. It apparently super common for people to over tighten these and as they are made of brass, off they come.
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2018 at 1:18am
I picked up an Artic Top this weekend. It needs some repair but everything is there except most of the glass. Here’s a test fit of just the top.  
Anyone have an idea what the triangle shaped hole under the window was for?  

1947 CJ2A
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 7:13pm
That looks like a decent old top Dave. I know nothing about those kind of tops so I can't help answer your questions....you might try posting it on the general part of the forum.

:)
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 8:35pm
That triangle hole is for checking the air in a spare tire mounted in the stock location, when the spares bolted on backwards!LOL

None of the artic tops I’ve been around have that hole. 
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Freedom21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freedom21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2018 at 8:38pm

Anyone have an idea what the triangle shaped hole under the window was for? 

A quick google search showed a few of them.  None have that triangle hole in them.  So, maybe a PO modification??
09 JKU
02 KJ
66 CJ-5
48 CJ2A "Lefty"
?? M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2018 at 6:41am
Thanks everyone. It’s a really clean cut and a distinct shape and so I thought it might have a known purpose. The top sure looks like it was military. Maybe it’s for an antenna on a M38 radio?

1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 5:30am
Bad news...I blew my engine yesterday.  I was going up a long hill in 3rd at about 8 psi and boom...lost power, lots of smoke and blew my rear main seal. There was a lot of crankcase pressure coming out the valve cover vent and so I’m pretty sure I blew a cylinder wall. Cry
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 7:01am
Well, crap. I have always heard that those diesels were supposed to run forever. What do I know? I pulled my little motor home in my yard and my neighbor came over and asked me what it had for a motor. I told him that it was a Mitsubishi Fuso. He is a diesel mechanic and he told me that what I had would run forever. Not much you can do now except find another motor to put in. You already did all of the tough work on the Jeep.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 10:22am

Bad news...I blew my engine yesterday. Cry

Confused... was just doing some thread catch up and NEVER saw that coming.... damn.
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 10:52am
I don't know. My neighbor went out to change the oil in his father in laws tractor. It looked like thin tar draining into the pan. Darn thing. Ford 550 (New Holland) It is still putting away out at the farm.
uncamonkey
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 2:46pm
So sorry to hear that Dave! Bummer! Cry
Hopefully you can find another Kubota replacement engine.
Larry

2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 4:33pm
I'm curious what you were getting for fuel mileage. I do not have diesel envy. My 12.000 lb camper gets 11 MPG no matter if it is summer or winter and it doesn't care what is hooked on the back of it. The only bit of diesel envy I have is that a friends father has a motor home that carries 250 gallons of diesel. You guessed it, the guy used to be a over the road trucker and his old truck carried over 500 gallons of fuel.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug. 2018 at 5:00pm
per Greg’s advice I’m going to do a compression test before I take anything apart. I had the cylinders bored out +.5 and so that may be involved with the failure. There is also a possibility that excessive EGT was at play. I didn’t have an exhaust system...just the down pipe and so that should have helped keep EGT down...in theory. 
1947 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>