Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dave's Kubota swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2018 at 4:26am
Oh no. That's not what any of us want to hear.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Sammamishcj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2018 at 8:58pm
I had time to dig in a little further today. I should mention that Greg has been super helpful with advice.

I did the compression test and cylinder #3 was much lower and so I decided to pull the head.

I expected to see a crack or hole in #3 but all the cylinders and piston top look in great shape.
I then pulled the head gasket off and noticed that it was sticking to the block around #3. When I gently got it off I noticed that there seemed to be failure on the #3 cylinder part of the gasket. The metal ring that surrounds the cylinder opening failed.

I don’t think that I’ve heard of a case where a head gasket failed such that it resulted in gasses escaping into the crankcase through an oil port but that is my guess as to what happened.

1947 CJ2A
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2018 at 4:14am
That would be great if it was just a head gasket.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Winger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2018 at 5:34pm
Error

Edited by Winger - 23 Aug. 2018 at 12:29am
Winger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2018 at 6:01pm
I noticed that this cylinder had a bunch of vertical scratches on the #3 and so I’m leaning towards getting another engine.  As mentioned before this block was fully rebuilt and had less than 100 hours.  I suppose that I could try to hone it but I less inspired on doing more engine rebuild work than working on the jeep restoration.  Plus it would be nice to have a little more power with a DI engine.
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2018 at 4:04am
December update...I have a replacement DI engine on its way From Enginemon. Johnny has been super helpful. 

I’m going to do things a little different this time. For starters I’m think I’m going to do an intercooler and EGT and I’ll cut the firewall and build a removable cowling.

Dave

Edited by Sammamishcj2a - 08 Dec. 2018 at 8:13pm
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 3:05am
I made a ton of progress this weekend. 
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 3:08am
Here’s a shot of how much firewall that was cut away.

1947 CJ2A
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2019 at 4:21pm
Looking good! :)
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 12:33am
Glad to see you're back at it.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

greenlakesgary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlakesgary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 1:14am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2019 at 4:53am
Thanks everyone...I’m getting there.  I pulled the oil pan and drilled the block for the dipstick guide and the turbo low pressure oil return yesterday. It sure feels strange to drill an engine block but I was super careful and used a shop vac to clean out the hole as I slowly progressed. I spent a few hours today inspecting, cleaning every speck of gasket material from the pan and the bottom of the block for the reinstall. No photos...just hard work.

I still need to figure out what kind of intercooler I’m going to go for. I’m leaning towards air to water.
1947 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 12:54am
It’s back. I got it up and running today. 2.0 is alive. 
I had to fab a new throttle assembly. Big thanks to Greg and Johnny.  
My first impressions of the DI engine is that it seems more responsive and powerful than the IDI. That said I’ve only driven it on my driveway. 

Now to figure out an intercooler. 

Edited by Sammamishcj2a - 26 Mar. 2019 at 4:43am
1947 CJ2A
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2019 at 3:04am
Nice!
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammamishcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2019 at 5:03am
The throttle linkage bracket is made from a simpson strong-tie. It was almost the perfect size and shape. I’ve sourced a bunch of my steel needs over the year from them as it ends up being easier and cheaper. You just need to grind off the galvanization before welding. I’m okay with a little bubba. Wink
1947 CJ2A
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 6:01am
Any updates?
Thanks
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234