Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decent Price?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent Price?
    Posted: 18 June 2018 at 1:33pm
Hello all.  I'd like to tap into the experience of the forum here.

Good: Runs well, new tires.  Shifts well enough.

Bad: Needs springs, shocks, probably brake work, tub is junk.

Price: $2,500.  

Me thinks I should wait for another opportunity.  But I would like your input as well.

48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 2:20pm
Yeah seems high to me.looks like it may have handle sticking out of the dash for a plow pump too, if it was used for plowing there's a good chance the front frame is bent and has been highly modified, that bumper would suggest the same.
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 2:37pm
Does it have a title? 
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 2:39pm
Yes, but CT doesn't require a title to register it.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 3:15pm
Welcome 

Looks like it might be a CJ3A - which is fine (no bow pockets on the drivers side - extra leg room for the driver).  Price range might be OK if the engine is in good shape and not smoking.  Practically everything on most of these old Jeep is in need of some kind of work - I always assume everything needs work after 70 years of use as a tool.  

Stev
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:01pm
Hi Dave!

What I'm learning is you pay now or you pay later..... If your budget is a little bigger, wait for the next one.... If 2500$ is all you got, then it's something to consider... Running condition is always good! Shifts good enough sounds like $$ to meSmile Did you see this one:
Deals are out there to be had, especially if you are willing to travel to pick one up. If you have to stay local like me, patience, patience, patience LOL Go with your gut!
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Pope891 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pope891 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:11pm
Thanks for your feedback.  Frankly, I was close to taking this home because it runs so well.  But then I remembered how much I hate deep pack rust.

Yes!  I contacted the owner in PA but he has since turned into a ghost.  That one is certainly worth a look.
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Thanks for your feedback.  Frankly, I was close to taking this home because it runs so well.  But then I remembered how much I hate deep pack rust.

Yes!  I contacted the owner in PA but he has since turned into a ghost.  That one is certainly worth a look.

Ok Cool!! Something is a little fishy about the PA add, but always worth a shot! Maybe you could negotiate a price you're happy with or just keep on look'n...
- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Pope891 Pope891 wrote:

Hello all.  I'd like to tap into the experience of the forum here.

Good: Runs well, new tires.  Shifts well enough.

Bad: Needs springs, shocks, probably brake work, tub is junk.

Price: $2,500.  

Me thinks I should wait for another opportunity.  But I would like your input as well.

A decent set of springs is not cheap...brake work can get pricey as well...I just payed $2500.00 for my salad and that included a pretty hefty shipping fee from Albuquerque New Mexico to Malta NY....the price seems fair...more around $2000.00 would be a little easier to handle because you know it will need more than what you know...bodywork...well that's a whole other deal...good luck with whichever way you decide to go...
I am the squirrel....
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 5:05pm
If the tub is "junk", then it will cost a bunch to either repair or replace it. I'd spend more for a Jeep that doesn't have these problems.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 4:36am
If it has good compression on each cylinder and you could rebuild the gearbox using the popular u-Tube video and a few bucks, replace the rear seal and ditch the loose bearings all in one kit. Brake work is not that difficult just a PIA. If you can do a little wire welding or at least have some fiberglass experience - or willing to learn, $2500 might not be all that bad (especially if he will come down a bit).

The other thing to consider is that if it is as rough as mine was to start, it's hard to really screw anything up. Spend as you go and learn along the way, or talk to you banker and buy one restored like factory new is my thinking. It can get as expensive as you want long as it's safe.

...but that's just me.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
 Post Reply Post Reply