Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disc Brake Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Brake Conversion
    Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 12:11pm
I'm going to do the Geo Tracker disc brake conversion on the front of my cj/mb.  I have gotten the brackets from Stev "thank you" and I am going to start collecting parts.  The question I have, is the residual pressure valve, it should be 2 psi for discs and 10 psi for drums.  Can I put a 2 psi residual pressure valve just for the front brakes and leave the rears alone?  I have the stock cj2a master cylinder with stock 9 inch front drums and stock rear drums.  I didn't know if a 2 psi valve could hold back the 10 psi coming off the master cylinder.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:10pm
67charger,

You might look on the G503 page - there is discussion over there about using a stock master cylinder.  And discussion about removing the residual pressure valve in the stock master cylinder to keep the brakes from dragging.

Be Safe Out There.

Stev

Edited by Stev - 01 Mar. 2017 at 2:21pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 3:41pm
I guess I'll ask an easier question, can a residual valve have 10 psi coming in from the master cylinder and have 2 psi coming out to the calipers? 

I'll look up the G503 forum topic, thanks Stev.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 5:12pm
Andy, on my first restoration I went with front disc brakes and retained the stock master cylinder. I didn't use a proportioning valve, and have no problems. No lockups and stops on a dime. 1,000 hard miles and counting.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2017 at 7:54pm
Proportioning valves and residual valves are two different things.

Put an adjustable proportioning valve in the line to the rears and turn the knob till you get rear lockup a tad behind the fronts....no added residuals.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply