Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor won't rotate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor won't rotate
    Posted: 17 June 2017 at 4:43am
My L-134 engine was rebuilt 2000 miles ago and in an attempt to tune it up this week, my distributor is determined to stay put and not move right or left.  Any suggestions on how to 'loosen' the distributor so I can time it? 
JeepRobbins
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 12:43pm
Repeated soakings with your favorite penetrating oil where it enters the engine block. Put two large ring gear hose clamps around the body where you can locate the screw part so that you can tap back and forth with a hammer on it. I had one rusted solid all the way to the bottom. It's cast iron, and loves to bond with the block. That one would not cooperate. I had to drill, and hack saw it out. They are fairly thin in construction, and you can break them off. Another trick is to wedge screwdrivers between the block and bottom plate to pry up on it. 

Once it moves for you, keep moving it back and forth with more penetrating oil until you can pull it out, clean it up, and put antiseize grease on it. When your engine was built, they neglected to grease it. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 8:03pm
Thank you. I will 'start' with the soak & pry method.  It took 9 years to get it rolling right, I have the patience......
JeepRobbins
JeepRobbins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRobbins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 2:30am
After several days of spraying Kroll, I added the band clamp and started tapping with my trusty little hammer and Ta Daaaaaaaaa, it came out (added the screwdriver to provide the upward pressure while tapping side to side).  Your suggestion worked!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you so much.
JeepRobbins
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2017 at 4:30am
Great!Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply