Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: distributor
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 8:55pm
My 46 willys quit when you turn it over it backfires the distributor doesn't make full rotation on rotor..any ideas would be very welcomed. I don't know much about jeeps...I was born in 46....
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 9:12pm
Ok let me get this straight. Your Willys died & when you try to restart it it backfires through the carburetor. When you pulled the distributor cap to check things out, you found that while the engine turns over just fine, the distributor's rotor does not spin completely around. Am I correct so far?

If so, we need to determine if the distributor is spinning. Pull the rotor off & try again. look to see if the distributor shaft is spinning. If it is, look at the rotor where it mates to the distributor shaft. Is the tang that goes in the shaft's slot worn out or just plain missing?

If so, get a new rotor & that should fix the problem.

If not, is the distributor loose in the block?

Enough questions for now. I have to get back to work. I'll check back later tonight.

Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 9:37pm
cpt logger...correct.the distributor rotor okay...shaft stops turning but motor still turning over..try to turn rotor by hand won't turn ???
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 10:21pm
Busted tooth on oil pump?
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2017 at 10:41pm
Broken cam gear?
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 12:55am
Sounds like I will be dropping oil pan ..thanks
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 2:01am
Howdy, Don't be to hasty to pull the oil pan, I'm pretty sure you can pull the oil pump out in the jeep. I agree with Kansas cj2a, sounds like the pin holding the cam gear got sheared quite possibly from what Mark W said pump tooth broke. You might get away with just pulling the oil pump and dist. Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 2:18am
Thanks ...Joe I don,t have a repair manual ..better check into one..have some wrench bending experience....but not on early keeps...thanks ..Ken
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 2:36am
Heres a couple of pictures from Sean's parts data base that show the distributor shaft running through the engine into the top of the oil pump. The oil pump gear is driven by the gear in the center of the camshaft which in turn drives the distributor. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 2:38am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 3:33am
Thanks for all the post and help..going to pull distributor..I heard that might be a task on old motor..might be struck....thanks again...Ken
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2017 at 4:47am
Use lots of penetrating oil & lots of patience. Days of soaking may well be in order. Good luck.

Keep us informed as how it goes.

Thanks In Advance, (TIA), Cpt Logger.
Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 1:28am
Cpt logger..I used penetrating oil today will let set and try later...I found thing on side of distributor that they say it's a oiler...do you know how it works..it is spring loaded can pull out on it.....that's all I know...Ken
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 4:33am
You pull it out and drop a few drops of oil into it and let it go.  That's it.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2017 at 2:05pm
Thanks...This old bucket is same age as me...thanks learned something.. never to old to learn .....Ken
Indian95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indian95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2017 at 6:27pm
cpt logger...thanks for your help and everybody who posted.. I got the distributor out with little problems and oil pump... I found slot in oil pump egged out and distributor tang twisted...must be age and wear...gears okay and pin fine. will replace both if I can them... thanks again....Ken
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2017 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Indian95 Indian95 wrote:

I got the distributor out with little problems...

You are very lucky.  A lot of the time, this can't be done without major destruction. Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply