Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Leftys Lean more?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Leftys Lean more?
    Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 1:28am
I have been wondering for a while about the drivers side lean on the CJ2A.  I have heard people say it is because the driver and the gas tank are on the left.  If there is any truth to the that logic, does it follow that Leftys lean more? 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 2:35am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

I have been wondering for a while about the drivers side lean on the CJ2A.  I have heard people say it is because the driver and the gas tank are on the left.  If there is any truth to the that logic, does it follow that Leftys lean more? 

One would think so but I seen Jeeps that lean to the other side. My 3B doesn't have a lean at all but they aren't stock springs.
uncamonkey
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 2:46am

From Service Bulletin #48-27 Dated May 28, 1948.

SPARE TIRES-The spare tire mounting on the Model CJ-2A was changed from the right to the left side to comply with the law in a few States. This change became effective with vehicle Serial No. 176061 on March 3 1948, with some exceptions. This change was not advantageous causing too much concentration of weight on the left side of the vehicle (off-set engine, steering gear, fuel tank and driver) causing it to set low so the right hand mounting was readopted beginning with vehicle Serial No. 185769 on April l4, 1948, with certain exceptions. A spare wheel mounting kit is now available under Part No. 670504 to mount the wheel on the tail gate in States where this is required.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 4:13pm
Wow, what a great answer to Stev's question, right from the horse's mouth. I wish all Willy's questions could be answered with that kind of documentation. Thanks for posting it, Tim.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 4:32pm
athawk11,

Awesome answer!

Now what can be done about it, for the Leftys that are still out there?  I have a helper spring that another 1948 owner gave me years ago to address this issue.  What are others doing?

Stev
Stev
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

athawk11,

Awesome answer!

Now what can be done about it, for the Leftys that are still out there?  I have a helper spring that another 1948 owner gave me years ago to address this issue.  What are others doing?

Stev

My rig is not a lefty, but I do have some lean. What I do is sit in the drivers seat, press the skinny pedal and go. Smile (I did get new springs for the front, but they are stock and the same on both sides.)

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2017 at 5:39pm
46Willard,

Thanks, but I can't take credit.  As you know, there is some decent documentation available on some Willys stuff.  Additionally, there are some very smart and diligent historians here that have worked tirelessly to fill in some of the gaps.  Still, there are gaps that may never be completely resolved, but that just makes it more interesting.

Stev,

I don't have a lefty leaner, so I have to yield to your expertise.  I have read that some have added a shim between the axle and the leaf spring to help balance the stance.  I've never done this, but it may be an effective approach that wouldn't change the way the suspension feels.  What do you think?

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 14 Feb. 2017 at 5:41pm
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 12:49am
Tim,

I only see the lean on the rear not the front of the Lefty.  My opinion is that the rear spring is what needs to be addressed.  The tire is about 40 pounds, 7 gallons of gas is about 30 pounds, and the driver is 150 to 200 pounds (175 pounds average).  So we have about 250 pounds depending on the drivers weight and the amount of gas on board.  A heavy duty spring for the drivers rear or a helper spring on that side is what I think is needed.  I don't know about a shim since the springs mount under the axle.  The shim would only bring the spring farther down adding to the problem.  Maybe I am missing where you want to put the shim.  Shims could be put between the frame and the spring mounts but would require more modification from stock.

I like the concept of not changing the feel.  But spring seats, tire pressure and the other three spring are all in the mix.  I don't think I can tell.  Perhaps we can get a test going at the Spring Reunion in Indiana.

Be Safe Out There,

Stev

Edited by Stev - 15 Feb. 2017 at 2:33pm
Stev
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 2:56am
I never really understood the shim concept. If I remember correctly, the shim was to be placed on the high, non-saggy side of the axle.

I like the extra spring on the low side. It seems to me that this should have been considered by the Willys engineers. Perhaps it was, but I'm not aware of any documentation.
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 4:00am
The way Jeep did it back in the day was to shim the passenger side axles so it would sit level. You don't fix it, you just put a bandaid on it to send an owner off happy.
uncamonkey
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 7:56pm
The MB's/GPW's had a stiffer spring on the left front, it was marked with an "L". I don't believe the CJ2-A's had that, and none of the repro spring suppliers sell them like that.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 8:12pm
What did the "L" stand for BW??.. Leaner??
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb. 2017 at 9:06pm
It was stamped on the bottom side, so it must have meant, "lower".LOLWink  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2017 at 6:55pm
Ol' Unreliable sits highest at the right rear corner and lowest at the front left, with the other corners in between.  I think the frame is just way out of whack.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:19am
Here are the measurements on my Lefty.  It leans to the drives side 7/8 of an inch. 

The measurements were take at the rear of the jeep along the vertical seam at the corners.  
The top of the tub on the passengers side measures 42 1/2 inches from the ground.
The top of the tub on the drivers       side measures 41 5/8 inches from the ground.

It has 4 new springs, and a ancient helper spring on the drivers side.  The gas tank is half full and the spare tire is mounted on the drivers side.  I drove it about 4 miles and then measured it.  The jeep also has the rear PTO box and draw bar.  There was no one sited in the jeep at the time of the measurement.   The CJ2A has 5 new Coker / Firestone 7.00 x 16 " NDT tires.  There  is 30 PSI in each tire and the new tires had 4 miles on them at the time of the measurement.

5/22/2017 - Update after being ratcheted down to the trailer for a trip to and from the 25th Spring Reunion - the Lefty sits 42" high on the passenger side and 41 and 5/8" on the drivers side.  3/8" difference which is probably a better measurement.

Edited by Stev - 23 May 2017 at 2:50am
Stev
 Post Reply Post Reply