Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Draw bar and departure angle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Draw bar and departure angle
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 5:50am
In my wheeling experience I have had lots of times when the draw bar bangs hard on rock ledges as I come down off of them. I have thought of pulling the draw bar since I never tow anything anyway but I have also thought that the draw bar might be protecting things that maybe would be hurt if the draw bar wasn't there.

I am also thinking of building a spare tire/jerry can carrier that would bolt to the tailgate chain tabs and have legs down to the draw bar. If I pulled the draw bar I would have to rethink the design of the carrier.

Does anyone have any before and after experience with this?

I took this picture tonight to see if the draw bar is protecting the spring shackles. Do the springs even need protection?what about the rear bumper? The shackles and the draw bar seem to be at about the same level.

Am I over thinking this?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 6:06am
If you don't use it, why keep it? I have drug the rear springs down many ledges around Moab and no damage has happened. You have to be smart about your speed as you head down.
They are handy places to hook up recovery devices however.
I built my own rear cross member and bumper with a receiver hitch built in. About 4" out but at the same height as the cross member.
uncamonkey
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:54am
I've had the same expiereince, I decided the drawbar can handle abuse but other things may not and left it in place.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:07pm
Yes, the draw bar can take lots of abuse. Unless you have encountered obstacles where it is actually hanging you up, I'd leave it. It protects your "C" shackles. Are your shackles bent? before I went to plates, my "C" shackles got bent on a regular basis from dropping on and off ledges.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:27pm
For me the drawbar is part of the 2a original Look, it also can help with rocks and brush when backing up, gives something to bump into before the tailgate gets hit.
You could always pull it off and run for a while,see how you like it.
There's definitely not anything solid to hook to without it. Unless you build something.
If you do leave it looks like it needs some attention with the welder.

As always grandpas jeep ROCKS

Edited by Flatfender Ben - 10 May 2017 at 1:29pm
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 1:59pm
Keep the Draw Bar is my vote.  

I don't have a draw bar on the 1946 trail Jeep but I do have a home built set of reinforcements that augment the bumperettes.  They are 1/4"wall tube steel, cut to provide a egress angle and bolted inside the bumperettes.  They give some protection to the spring perches and U shackles.   If I had not already installed them I would install a draw bar. 

Edited by Stev - 10 May 2017 at 2:01pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:58am
Stan, I'm gonna give it to you straight. You're being influenced by outside, oppressive, mis-guided-but-well-intended forces. These are the same notions that designed YJ's, TJ's, JK's, etc. All well designed, good, capable, and suitable rides, darest I say even soft and cushy.

Now, this kind of thinking starts off well intended, just a little nip here, a tuck there, nothin too major. But it won't stop there. It's cancerous and it will begin to grow and morph until you've built a full-on rock-krawlin' buggy. You'll look back and wonder "...what happened? Where's Grampa's jeep? What's this thing in my garage? What happened to the fun of bangin' around on a few rocks? Where's the envy in the eyes of bystanders? Why don't people flock around my Jeep like they used to?..."

Stan, you have loyal followers of Grampa's jeep, and they count on you to steward him, preserved intact for posterity. I am one of those loyal followers. I started my personal 2a journey 28 years ago with grandeur ideas of newer, wider axles and open knuckles; bigger brakes, power steering, coil spring suspension, and on and on. Those were PI times (pre-interweb) so my only influences were the offroad magazines and the few "built" rigs around my neck of the woods. Fast forward 24 years and my build concept began. Now, I didn't know of this brotherhood known as thecj2apage.com so I wandered the web from place to place searching how to make my notions reality. For the most part I did just that, except where time, money, and materials prohibited it.

Then I found this place. It is home. I took a bold step and asked to tag along on a FCT and my Jeeping, nay, my life is forever changed, for the better. I now see the mis-direction of my well intended "improvements", even down to the color I painted my 2a. He was all original when I adopted him, save for a very light coat of green paint from years earlier. Slowly, I'm headed back to his original state. It's a long hard trail back from where I took him tho.

Don't get me wrong, I love a modified 2a. In fact, I'm wanting to build a highly modified, highly capable little Willys, myself. I love all that cool improvement stuff, but only if originality is unobtainable.   Stan, lots of folks look up to grampas jeep because of who he is. He is all heart. Sure he scraps a rock face now and then, so what? I personally give an iconic fist bump every time I see you and him conquer a tough obstacle, even with a big bang at the end. I smile gently and whisper, well done my light blue patina friend...

Signed,
A nostalgic, philosophical Texan

P.S. None of the aforementioned applies to internal, un-seeable modifications like lower tc gears or lockers, however
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

Stan, I'm gonna give it to you straight. You're being influenced by outside, oppressive, mis-guided-but-well-intended forces. These are the same notions that designed YJ's, TJ's, JK's, etc. All well designed, good, capable, and suitable rides, darest I say even soft and cushy.

Now, this kind of thinking starts off well intended, just a little nip here, a tuck there, nothin too major. But it won't stop there. It's cancerous and it will begin to grow and morph until you've built a full-on rock-krawlin' buggy. You'll look back and wonder "...what happened? Where's Grampa's jeep? What's this thing in my garage? What happened to the fun of bangin' around on a few rocks? Where's the envy in the eyes of bystanders? Why don't people flock around my Jeep like they used to?..."

Stan, you have loyal followers of Grampa's jeep, and they count on you to steward him, preserved intact for posterity. I am one of those loyal followers. I started my personal 2a journey 28 years ago with grandeur ideas of newer, wider axles and open knuckles; bigger brakes, power steering, coil spring suspension, and on and on. Those were PI times (pre-interweb) so my only influences were the offroad magazines and the few "built" rigs around my neck of the woods. Fast forward 24 years and my build concept began. Now, I didn't know of this brotherhood known as thecj2apage.com so I wandered the web from place to place searching how to make my notions reality. For the most part I did just that, except where time, money, and materials prohibited it.

Then I found this place. It is home. I took a bold step and asked to tag along on a FCT and my Jeeping, nay, my life is forever changed, for the better. I now see the mis-direction of my well intended "improvements", even down to the color I painted my 2a. He was all original when I adopted him, save for a very light coat of green paint from years earlier. Slowly, I'm headed back to his original state. It's a long hard trail back from where I took him tho.

Don't get me wrong, I love a modified 2a. In fact, I'm wanting to build a highly modified, highly capable little Willys, myself. I love all that cool improvement stuff, but only if originality is unobtainable.   Stan, lots of folks look up to grampas jeep because of who he is. He is all heart. Sure he scraps a rock face now and then, so what? I personally give an iconic fist bump every time I see you and him conquer a tough obstacle, even with a big bang at the end. I smile gently and whisper, well done my light blue patina friend...

Signed,
A nostalgic, philosophical Texan

P.S. None of the aforementioned applies to internal, un-seeable modifications like lower tc gears or lockers, however
Yee haa, don't fix what's not broken!...every thing that's wrong with a 2a makes it better.
Modifying what works extremely well buggers up such a brilliant design.....shall I keep going
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:32am
None of my Jeeps have had a draw bar although I seem to have one out there leaned against a shed from a parts 3B I was given.
We removed the draw bar from a neighbors CJ 7. He did a bumper so there is a bit of protection.
I used to get hung up by the bumperettes on the MB, I have drug the rear mounted spare tire on the B coming off of ledges. I have never damaged a shackle my Jeeps other than my brother tightened them up too much so they couldn't rotate. You are more likely to damage a front shackle from running into a big rock on a trail.
It's your Jeep, looks are one thing but for useage I would get rid of it.
Oh, yeah, it looks like you have drug one of the spring clips across a rock so...
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 7:23am
Well Rick, you've convinced me. What could I have been thinking. (Is there a head slap emoticon?). Draw bar stays.

Honestly, I don't really like the idea of a rear mounted spare on Grampa's Jeep, but if we're going to run the Rubicon this summer I think I need to move the spare out of the bed so I have some room for camping gear and grub. I usually just strap a plastic gas can in the bed with bungies when I think I need more than a tank full, but i figured if I'm going to put a spare rack on the back, I might as well make it hold a jerry can to so my camping stuff doesn't get gas on it from the crappy caps on the over engineered modern "improved" gas cans (can you really call something made of plastic a "can?" Seems wrong.)

For those of you that aren't regular aquaintances of Grampa's Jeep, sometime in his previous life as a hunting rig the side mount spare tire snagged and was ripped off. My Grampa welded a big ole patch in the place of the spare carrier. I'm leaving that patch as part of the history of this jeep, so no side spare for me.

You can see in this picture from the deer camp in the 60s that under that one deer's head there is no spare bracket and the spare is fastened on to the draw bar and tailgate with the chronologically appropriate method of grabbing some bailing twine and other random pieces of rope and strap that were laying around and cinching it down.

I think for trips like Moab or the Black Hills Run etc. where we are back to home base every night, I'll leave this spare carrier off and carry the spare in the bed. I'll build this rear carrier and use it on overnighters where baggage AND fuel need to be carried or when I'm on a trip where I need to haul a few extra people so the rear seat gets installed.

"Lockers and lower gears" don't know what you're talking about.   
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

....I personally give an iconic fist bump every time I see you and him conquer a tough obstacle, even with a big bang at the end. I smile gently and whisper, well done my light blue patina friend...

Signed
A nostalgic, philosophical Texan....

Not bad Texican ..... now put some NDTs on your jeep and give it a name

Stan,
Some guys just take a tire without the wheel. That way they can travel light and put stuff in the tire for stowage. It doesn't take that long to get the tire off and on with irons. Just a thought.

... The solution to your draw bar scraping is simple. The next time you are on the trail and you see one of these tempting gnarly obstacles, just simply resist the urge and drive around it. Maybe less trips to Moab and Rubicon and more trips to the park and Dairy Queen. Genius!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:14pm
Two schools of though: one is protection. It tells you you may be close to the limits. The other is it will high center you and get you stuck. So, the solution Stan is to make a set of heavy duty rollers that bolt to the draw bar and roll you through those tough spots! Wink Where there is a will there is a way. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:19pm
I think the draw bar is a bigger nuisance when trying to back up in a ditch or something.  Twice last year, I saw this happen with Grandpa's Jeep.  Once was on BHR when Stan was running through a ditch and missed on his first attempt.  Then he rolled backwards and wedged the draw bar into the other side of the ditch.  The other time was on Poughkeepsie Wall obstacle. as shown in this footage:

I think there were one or two other attempts where the draw bar dug in worse but if you notice, on the way up, the draw bar doesn't even touch, but when he rolls backwards, and the weight is on the back, the draw bar digs into the ground like a spade.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Maybe less trips to Moab and Rubicon and more trips to the park and Dairy Queen. Genius!

Well. there are no Dairy Queens in our town so this solution doesn't work. We do have parks, but they frown on driving up the stairs on the slides and such.

Edited by smfulle - 11 May 2017 at 4:57pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 4:54pm
Having drove about 12,000 miles over 7 years on all the roughest trails in Southern San Juan County Ut I could find, climbed many slick rock walls, in and out of steep ditches of dirt, sand and rocks I say leave the tow bar type bumper on the Jeep.

I have never had the tow bar, even with the plate and ball on it to be a problem. If you can get the front bumper over a rock wall so the front wheels climb up you can climb the wall as long as you can get traction. A Lock Right in my rear axle helps a whole lot though.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:58pm
[QUOTE=smfulle] Well Rick, you've convinced me. What could I have been thinking. (Is there a head slap emoticon?). Draw bar stays.

Thanks, Stan. I'll sleep a little easier tonight. As for your tire totin' dilemma, here's what I did in 1989. Worked pretty darn good.

Then I decided I needed to carry water and fuel, so I built this to fit on the original draw bar. It folded down so I could open the tailgate. Wasn't very practical laying down 130 lbs of fuel, water, and tire, but it did tote the stuff and kept it out of the jeep. I'll post some pics of it later so you can get a close look-see at how I made it and attached it.

My Videos
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

I have never had the tow bar, even with the plate and ball on it to be a problem. If you can get the front bumper over a rock wall so the front wheels climb up you can climb the wall as long as you can get traction. A Lock Right in my rear axle helps a whole lot though.

But if you happen to be going DOWN said rock wall it is a very real possibility (maybe even likely) for the drawbar/hitch to indeed contact the rock as the rear tire slides down the wall which I think Stan may have been referencing.

Really surprised you didn't notice the little rollers or casters that the regular Moab crowd installs. (That may have been more of an '80s modification but I bet they are still using them)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:54pm
Stan, here is the tire rack with removable jerry can mounts. It bolted directly to the draw bar and would fold down when un-pinned. I welded a broken axle to the channel frame, then used a hub to bolt the spare on. That way I carried a spare hub, driving flange, etc. it also holds a hi lift jack.

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>