Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drilled Holes in Tailgate, Factory?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drilled Holes in Tailgate, Factory?
    Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 3:52pm
I have 8 evenly spaced holes in the tailgate of my 1947 T3-C in a square pattern, would these have been drilled at the factory or done by owners? They don't appear to fit any licence plate sizes either. I intend to weld them up if they don't belong. Thanks for looking!

Canadian Forces 1986-2006
1952 M38 Cdn
1953 M100 Cdn
1952 M100 US
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 8:25pm
I don't think they were factory.  Most likely "Bubba" did it at some point.  I could be wrong but I have not seen any T3-C's with wholes like the ones you describe.

Jr
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
coolpool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 12:57am
Thanks, Canorisa!
I've made quite a bit of progress on this beast; in fact way more than I planned! It's been sandblasted completely and I've got about 10 hours of welding/patching in it already. I'll have to get some pics up as soon as I can. I use a picture of your trailer as my motivationClap
1952 M38 Cdn
1953 M100 Cdn
1952 M100 US
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 3:17pm
CoolPool:

Thanks for letting me know.  I feel honored that you found motivation on my build.  That makes me feel pretty good.  When you get a chance, could you post some pictures of your build?  I would really like to see what you have done so far.  

I have roughly $3800 on my build.  I know, crazy but I just wanted to do something good and it's done.  What I have not pictured yet is the rack system that I purchased from a guy on FaceBook.  I do have the bows that I spent $375 to have them made.

My goal is to redo the side railings and then have a tarp made for it.  Pretty much I'm going to go with Sumbrella material in Black but that's going to have to wait another year or so.

Look forward in seeing your build.

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
coolpool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 3:28pm
I'll post some pics back on my project thread for sure. I'm not going to your level of a restoration but I must admit it's going to look pretty darn nice when done. Its funny how the costs seem to "accumulate
" as you progress. I'm targeting around $1,100 all in which should leave some meat on the bones if I sell it. I'm also going to fabricate some low profile bows out of light duty pipe since I have a civi dark green tarp that came fitted on a a US M100 that will go on it with chain sleeves to match. I don't think a bit of green will look half bad against the bright red. I'm afraid my floor is going to have to live the stress bends between the cross members; I tried pounding them out but they pop right back.

Pete 
1952 M38 Cdn
1953 M100 Cdn
1952 M100 US
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 8:08pm
The only factory holes in the tailgate would be on the early ones for the reflectors before the sheet metal panels were added and the reflectors moved...you can see the 2 pairs of holes in my sn 191 trailer.

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
 Post Reply Post Reply