Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duke's Off-road Ranch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duke's Off-road Ranch
    Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 1:49am
Hi all,

BAM BAM and I spent the day wheeling at Duke's Off-road Ranch.

This place is 50 acres of private land that is only 12 miles from my house   The guy with the 3B, Larry, is from Peoria, IL.  I met him and his son Nate for the first time today.  They already knew BAM BAM from YouTube.  
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 2:51am
Looks like fun Jeff...thanks for sharing!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 3:05am
Thanks for posting! , it looks like the new gears are working well...... nice to see you found off road adventure at home and you couldn't say, "I can't do this at home" because you did

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

...... it looks like the new gears are working well......
Yup.  The gears are annoying on the hi-way but very nice off-road.  If you look at the 14 minute area of the video, you can see BAM BAM's low-range in action.
Quote ...nice to see you found off road adventure at home and you couldn't say, "I can't do this at home" because you did  
  Funny, I mentioned Louie's quote to those guys and said the same thing

This place is typical of the mid-west wheeling around me.  Yesterday was exceptionally fun because the dirt/mud was tacky and BAM BAM was able to go everywhere the bigger rigs went.  The 3B, with open front diffs, was able to do stuff that would be much more challenging on another day.  The owner of the property, Steve, said "I keep trying to get you stuck but you keep making it!  You're embarrassing me!"  I told him, "that's what I'm trying to do" .  Truth be told, the dryness was to BAM BAM,s advantage.  Last time I was here, those "V" notches were a slimy mud hole and likely impassable for me.  Thanks for reading.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 1:41pm
Great video of a great day wheeling

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 3:55pm
The 3B and Bam Bam by far the best looking!  Brought back memories.

Shows the importance of picking a good line through obstacles!

Thank you!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 5:06pm
Good to have a place close to home. Makes it much easier to test new mods and easy just to get away fro the day.

That B is helping me like mine more and inspiring to keep it and get started on it rather than sell it. Thanks for that. Great video.

I guess I missed it elsewhere, Jeff......what gears are you running now?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 5:47pm
I watched my 3.73s out to 4.56. Now my LL is 94:1 and my 1L is 50:1
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2017 at 8:23pm
Jpet, why should it surprise you that the local 3B guy was familiar with Bam Bam?

Bam Bam is nationwide. No, your jeep is worldwide....
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 5:15am
Nice! Bam Bam makes it look easy. So much so that at 13:30 or so I'm wondering "why's he not just going right up?"

Nicely done!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

......So much so that at 13:30 or so I'm wondering "why's he not just going right up?
Well you would have to be there I guess. It is a “V” notch that does an “S” turn so you have to be high on the left side going in and high on the right side at the exit of the “S” ... plus it’s steeper than it looks from that angle. The 3B footage demonstrates the steepness a little more.  The beginning was pretty greasy, but once you got past it, not so bad.  Doing it once, and knowing what I know now, I think I’d make it through easier next time.  It actually took 7 minutes to get through it but I cut out the blooper footage to keep the entire video shorter. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

Great video of a great day wheeling
     Speaking of great videos I could have sworn I saw one of your videos this year with 2 batterys used to make a weld repair! Can't find it again. I heard about doing years ago but you would be the first I know of to do it. Thanks Joe
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 3:10pm
Look at the 7:20 mark:

Two 12 volt batteries connected in series.  6013, 1/8" rod.... like frying bacon.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Bridog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 12:58am
Great video of what looked like a fun day of wheelin!  I do not see much in the way of rocks, but the trails do not look eroded away like a lot of dirt trails have ended up.  Do the trails get much traffic?  When you say "private land" does that mean it is a "pay to play" park or were you just fortunate to find somebody who happens to own some cool land and lets you all come play on it?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2017 at 10:27am
No rocks.  It’s like you call it, “ditch wheeling”.  

Steve is just a good ‘ol jeeper who cut some trails in his woods. He belongs to the Mid-Illini Jeep Club. He and his friends go to off-road parks around here such as Potawatomi, Badlands, Flat Nasty ... even go to Moab. 

The land is private and invite only. We pretty much covered everything in a day, .... all but one “V” notch called Satan’s Crack.  Only one jeep has ever done this obstacle unassisted. Steve, himself, has never done it and at one time, he had a $100 bounty on it. I’ts in a spot where if you get stuck, nobody can get there to pull you out. 

He told me if I ever wanted to bring some friends, just let him know in advance and even offered to open it up to a Willys function.  I have the same amount of acreage so if I cut some trails on the family farm, might make for a fun weekend. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply