Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enclosed Trailer Build, toy hauler, camper, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosed Trailer Build, toy hauler, camper, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 1:06pm
Rick, this is looking great!  But I have a question.  Why are you insulating it?  Will you be using it for shelter in the winter when you travel north for Christmas?  Are you planning on buying a big V10 gas engine for your truck to haul the extra weight? 

I would propose to you that if you seal the outside skin so it's water tight, and you seal any gaps in the inside wood sheeting, you will be able to heat the trailer easily and it will retain that heat well.  To cool it, just open some windows and roof vents at night.  In my car hauler I have no insulation yet the inside stays comfortably warm through the night if we close it up.  My ceiling is not closed in like yours will be.  Only my walls and floor are wood.  I have a small propane heater installed on one wall and it does a good job of warming the whole trailer up. 

This could save you some $$$ and some weight.  Maybe save enough $$ to buy the grade A clear plywood??? 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 4:04pm
Dang, that's a lot of work! Looks great. I've built quite a few trailers but have never tried my hands at an enclosed trailer.  Awesome job!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 4:31pm
Thx, Avis. It has been a lot of work, but mainly because I'm altering an existing trailer. If I built it from scratch I'd probably be finished by now. There's a lot of little modifications to make and that takes time and thought.

Mike, I'm insulating mainly for the heat (to keep it out). It was 104 here yesterday and supposed to be 108 on Saturday. Days like that or any where within 20 degrees of that makes a metal box into an unbearable oven . I hope with the polar white, insulation, two tinted and screened windows, and two roof vents that this metal box will somehow be cooler inside than out.   I will use it in the winter to hunt out of also, but the cold isn't as much a factor as the heat for me. The weight increase I've calculated to be less than a thousand extra pounds so no v10's or diesels are expected.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 6:36am
Made a little more progress on the rear cargo ramp door. Got the hinge and spring system fabricated and it works really well. My 900 lb estimate of additional weight for this trailer build is a little bit low after completing the ramp door. I like to build heavy duty when I think I may need it, and man, is this ramp door heavy! This door alone is on the other side of 200lbs. Fortunately, the springs I installed make easy work of lowering and lifting

Here's the finished hinge and spring system, except that the bottom springs legs have not been cut to length.

Here's a shot of just how strong the springs are; they are completely holding up the ramp. A gentle push and it goes right to the ground.

This is 1" cold roll steel rod I used for the hinge. I used two of equal length so that it would be easier to remove.

I noticed after I finished that the torsion of the springs caused the existing thin angle iron to bow out and away about 3/4" (see compared to the white line when the ramp door is closed.)

So, I welded up three of these braces underneath and that helped close the gap to about 1/4". I think the angle iron was sprung at this point and I didn't try to "persuade" it back into place.

Welded these cubes of tubing in place to have something to attach the aluminum panels to from the outside. All the angle iron flats were oriented to the inside to have a flat surface to attach the osb and help distribute the weight a little more evenly.

Initial fit of the osb ramp deck. Not completely installed yet because I still need to insulate, but I think it will work well.

Ramp door siding in place! Now on to the roof and trim.

My Videos
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 8:17am
Working on the trailer has been hit or miss the last week or so.  I began working on the side door, welding on the weatherstrip frame and getting it ready for hinges, latches, and skin.

Then, to my delight, the big brown truck arrived and delivered this much awaited gift from the magic of interweb shopping.  Just what I was waiting for:  roof vents, hinges, latches, and lights.

Now time to get busy.  Framed up for the roof vents.  I bought vents with aluminum covers instead of plastic.  Maybe these will fair a little better against the onslaught of hailstones.

Then back to the side door.  Got the hinges installed and checking fit.

Here's the hinge reinforcement on the inside. I had to grind down the angle iron here because it was 2"x3" and my frame is only 1 1/2"; otherwise my inside panels wouldn't fit properly.

Then it was on to installing the skin and the RV latch.  (the osb here was just a scrap piece I used as a template for cutting around the fenders for the outside skin.  I used it to mock up the inside latch fitment).

It's starting to look like something.

Next, I installed the cam latch for the side door as an extra safeguard.  Plus, the rod portion of the cam latch will serve as an assist handle when climbing aboard.  Here's the inside bracket for the cam bar.

And here's the outside with both latches installed.  The plastic coating is still on the door skin.  I just haven't removed it yet, because it has my perimeter frame screw locations on it.

Stay tuned...

My Videos
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 4:03pm
Beautiful work!  And well thought out too. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

X2 on that!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

X2 on that!.

Lee

X3 . . love it!
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 3:16am
RICK
YOU COULDN'T GOT ONE LOOKING BETTER THEN THAT.
GREAT JOB!
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 7:22am
thx fellas.  Your compliments are encouraging Thumbs Up
Lots of work left to do.  Getting a little chipped away each day, tho.

My Videos
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2017 at 1:24pm
Hey Rick,

I really enjoy seeing the progress. You are doing some nice work - once you remove the protective skin you will need sunglasses!

Are you putting any windows on the sides?
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 12:48pm
Hey, your new enterprise should have a name like our Jeeps. I vote for: SPACE G TRAILERS! Looking good. You may think about a equaliser hitch next. Maybe you have. I don't envy you working on that in Texas heat. Wow. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:17pm
thx, George.  Yes, I'm planning on a 30"x22" sliding window on each side, but I've got to do some design layout on the inside before I install them.

SPACE G TRAILERS....LOLthat's funny.  I'm hoping I don't need an equalizer hitch, John, but I'm planning on a sway bar for sure. Didn't get to work on the trailer yesterday, we had another granbaby insteadBig smile

My Videos
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 8:26pm
Congratulations!!  Emoticons  Boy?   Girl?  Particulars? 
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 9:56pm
Congratulations Rick and Donalee!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 10:45pm
Congratulations!  
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 5:38am
It was a girl!  Silver is her name.  She told me she loves jeeps (especially blue ones) and can't wait to go for a rideLOL

My Videos
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 12:57pm
Congratulations, and enjoy your family! We have a doodle board up stairs in our house. My Grand daughter always leaves Gram and Gramps a nice note on it after each visit and overnighter. We never erase it. Makes us smile. Thumbs Up
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>