Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enclosed Trailer Build, toy hauler, camper, etc.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosed Trailer Build, toy hauler, camper, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 12:09pm
That's alot of beer cans! Working on roofs in my youth for a contractor and canoeing on the lakes in bright sunshine taught me just how reflective that can be. Cover up good or you will be roasted by the sun. I love how you adapt for the moment. No manual here. Just plain Yankee ingenuity. Oops---------sorry, we're in Texas now. LOL The war is over, we are all Americans now. You are so close to the finish line now. Well done. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 4:17am
Been making a little progress on the build.  I was going to put a 1" wood shim down the middle of the roof to help tighten it up a little and give the roof a slight crown to shed water.  This is what I had in mind.  It actually worked really well, however, I decided not to shim the roof at all.

What I decided to do was use this adhesive putty tape.  I put it between the 1" tubing frame and the roof sheet.

Then I walked along the roof in the heat of the day to squish the roof roll to the 1" tube frame.  It worked really well.  This stuff sticks!!!

I also installed the two roof vents.

1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
tumbleweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 2:02pm
Need more pictures and updatesTongue

Rick, your doing a great job! Love the project -

Tumbleweed

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 3:48pm
George, I am making progress on the trailer but been too busy working on this and the jeep getting ready for the Rubicon, that I haven't had a chance to keep up with the photos.  I'll get some posted as soon as I can tho.

My Videos
Dmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2017 at 4:40pm
"Have they not seen Flashdance???"
I about spit out my coffee laughing when I read that! Thanks for the chuckle and Great work! looking forward to seeing you two again this Fall.

Dennis
43 Ford GPW "AWOL"
48-52 CJ Series Bubba Jeep
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 4:47am
Time for an update.  Since last posting I started putting in some insulation.  I put 3/4" poly foam board in the v-nose and the ceiling, primarily because I used 1" square tubing in these areas.  That only gave me 1" spacing for insulation.  The rest of the trailer (walls and doors) I will use JohnsManville R19 faced batt insulation stuffed into the 1 1/2" thick walls.  Here's the EPS foam board stuff.

The R value of the EPS is 2.89 and it costs $0.39/ sq ft.  The R value of the batt insulation when adjusted for the 1 1/2" space (vs 3 1/2" for stud walls) is 8.14 and costs $0.21/ sq ft.  You can see why I'm going with batt insulation for the remainder of the trailer.  I will say that the EPS was VERY easy to install.  

I ran out of time to do any more insulating and panel work on the inside.  I'm under a severe time crunch to leave for the Rubicon trip in this trailer, so I've moved on to more pressing issues.  Like trailer brakes. Here's the complete kit for my axle.  I'm only putting brakes on the front axle.  

It was a pretty straightforward install.  I forgot to take pics, but my hands (my nitrile gloves, actually) were covered in wheel bearing grease anyway, so I couldn't have taken any even if I remembered.Cry

I also made the safety chains holders and welded them on with some heavy ⅜" chain.

More to come.

Edited by Rick G - 22 July 2017 at 4:52am

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 1:47pm
Dang Rick!

Looking good - So much going on with the CJ2A page these days its hard to keep up with all the activity. That is what makes this forum so great! Lynn and I will miss the CFFC this year due to my mandatory unscheduled vacationCensored .

Going to miss the gang but 2018 is on the list as well as a number of other Jeep get together's.

How do you plan on securing the Jeep in the trailer? I am curious as I would like to change the way I strap mine down with straps. I'm thinking about wheel straps but not sure how to secure then to the wood floor.

Great job - going to be a nice camper as well.

Mike's place will look like a KOA with all the new trailers!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 6:00am
thanks, George.  We are going to miss you guys at the FCT.  Maybe we can get together one weekend when we are in Dallas.  We are going to be down there after the Rubicon run.

Anyway here's how I strap my Jeep in.  These are 11K lb rated D rings mounted to the main frame rail of the trailer.

I'll update the trailer build when I get back from the Rubicon run.

More to come.

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 2:09pm
That my friend is secure!

It would be great to see you if you have time while you are in Dallas Ft Worth area. Do you have a place to stay? We have room for you and Donalee.

49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 1:58am
we go down there to visit Donalee's family.  She's from the Denton area and that's where we go.  I'll holler at you when we head down there next time.

My Videos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 1:29pm
10-4
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2017 at 12:30am
I personally have lived in crappier places than that trailer.  Excellent work. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tumbleweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2017 at 3:31pm
If you think about it, makes perfectly good sense to have a trailer that doubles as a camper. Kind if wish I had purchased an enclosed trailer for the Jeep and then put a couple of cots in it for quests at FCT and other events.

Looking forward to more progress after you get back Rick!
49 CJ3A - Smokey
53 Willys Wagon - Wylie
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 1:20pm
Your trailer build has turned out great, been following it from the start. Thanks for posting the build, have you used the trailer yet? If so how did it work? What if any modifications are you planning?
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2017 at 6:14am
I'm back from the Rubicon trip and I must say the trailer was awesome!  We didn't stay in it this trip, because the inside wasn't finished, and, mainly because I would have had to pull all the stuff out of it every night and that would have been a chore!  Just easier to set up the tent for a couple of campsites. Anyway, I pulled the trailer just shy of 4,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.  It pulls like a dream. Didn't even know it was back there until I looked at my gas gauge...lolConfused

I'll get some more updates soon on the build and what additions I'm planning on.  I've got some repairs to do on the jeep from the Rubicon before I do anymore on the trailer.  Getting the jeep ready for the FCT is the first priority.

P.S.  FYI, You CANNOT pull a trailer like this across the Hoover Dam. Stern Smile The armed check station guards with clipboards in hand promptly directed me to the side, took down my license number, stopped traffic for me and sent me back the way I came in.

My Videos
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2017 at 6:52am
I was under the impression that they sent all traffic over the "new" bridge now. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 4:36am
The other side of road over dam is a dead end now since the opening of the bypass just down stream. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 5:23am
They still let cars go over it as an option, but I think you have to come back across and use the new bridge.

My Videos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>