Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enclosed trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

... right .... so lets see ..... I need a '20 trailer and a new, bigger truck to haul a jeep that was designed to be able to go places without needing to be trailered. .... Confused .. Makes sense!

LoL, It's great to have lots of toys eh! LOL

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 8:49pm
I keep telling my wife what a nightmare it is!  She knows she is lucky to not have to make all the decisions that I have to. Wacko
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 11:14pm
Many interesting comments . I will add . A friend of mine had a collection of 60's Corvetts, and a 24' enclosed flat front trailer, pulled with a 04 F150/5.4. After a trip to California he thought a v front trailer would save fuel so he traded trailers........made NO difference. One of his comments to me was length is more of a disadvantage with side winds and your ability to overload it, . I have no desire to own a 3/4 ton truck or a diesel truck, not that I have anything against them, but not worth the expense for a one or two times a year use to me. Jpet I will pm you!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 11:38pm
I have a '98 Dodge 5.9 cummins that gets 19 consistantly empty. When I pull my enclosed H&H 14 footer, and one Jeep, I get 14. If I pull a open 18 foot car trailer and Jeep, no difference I get 16-19. Depends on the wind. I definately notice a harder pull and side winds with the enclosed. The H&H weighs 2700 empty. Now, if I put my 3000 lb camper on the back, open 18 footer with a Jeep-------11-12 MPG.  I'm at the limit with this for maximum GVWR.  I do not want to pull a 20 footer enclosed. You with your gasser will beat the peewadins out of it going to Colo. with two Jeeps in it.  You need a bigger haul truck. The new trucks of today are awesome and run circles around me. They also get crappy mileage and the cost for them is well, not a possible item for me. I'd be looking for a good used one ton dually with a Cummins. They say 2006 or older. After that they changed things enough to be un reliable and quite costly to work on.  the power choke guys will jump in here and beat on me next. I do enjoy guys at the pumps whining about their Ford's mileage. LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2015 at 11:50pm
I agree a stronger truck is better but I paid 4500 bucks for my gasser and use it for no other purpose but to haul jeeps until I gives up the ghost. It has turned out to be one of my better investments. I've made 3 trips to CO with 2 jeeps, 2 trips to Hudson, OH with 1 or 2 jeeps, and 3 trips to Maine with jeep in tow. In that time, I've had my trailer lights go out once, and my crank sensor go out once. Well worth the money. It does not have as much power as these modern trucks but it had just enough ..... for now
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 12:01am
.... why I've even driven that ol' chevy over George Washington bridge During rush hour with Shadow on the back to drop her off to a friend in New Jersey
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2015 at 12:07am

.... why I've even driven that ol' chevy over George Washington bridge During rush hour with Shadow on the back to drop her off to a friend in New Jersey

That must have been some real lucky guy! Thumbs Up

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:07am
"Thread Revival" ....... I started this thread in October of 2013, looking for opinions on a trailer, much was offered, I also said I was in "No Hurry", This evening after work I pulled the trigger and ordered a 7x16 V/Slant front all aluminum trailer, Lightening brand by Forest River. I will not get it for a couple months but then again, I'm in no hurry!. Many thanks to all who offered opinions and advise!.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:33am
Congrats!!! 

4 1/2 years later???!!!! You weren't jerkin' our chain 'bout being in no hurry! Wink

Edited by gmcjr - 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:36am
Gary

51 CJ-3A
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 7:47am
excellent Lee!  Keep us updated with pics when you get it.  IF I get all my jeep mods done over the winter, I will try to get back to my trailer thread as well.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 11:03am
Lee, it's a good thing you didn't buy one at the beginning of this post----------it might have rusted away by now. LOL  Hey don't rush into this. if you invest the cash it might earn enough in time to pay for the trailer. Especially as long and patient as you are.  But----------very glad you will "be in camp". Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

... IF I get all my jeep mods done over the winter, ....
How's this coming along?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 6:21pm

Originally posted by Rick G Rick G wrote:

... IF I get all my jeep mods done over the winter, ....
How's this coming along?

Very slowly.  I have been putting it off because of hunting seasons, the holidays, and the fact that I'm going to pull the body off and do major tear down and rebuild. I'll document in another thread once I actually begin it.  What I have done, however, is the research for the modifications that I'm going to do, i.e. the availability of parts, gearing options, minor motor modifications, etc.  Plus, it's been frigid cold here until recently.  That alone keeps me from doing anything significant.  

My Videos
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:04am
well it's once again "Thread Revival" time

Last Wednesday I picked up my new trailer, a little over 5 months since I ordered it! It seems in todays world if you order most anything odd or different your in for a wait, mine is finally over, LOL.. So time is short now before the Black Hills Run that will be its maiden voyage, I was planning to have a toy hauler screen installed, and an awning before the trip but time will not allow that so for the most part I'll use it as is, and that's not a bad thing, just not what I wanted ... So this weekend I loaded up the 2A and went for a 15 mile drive to see how it all handles, and all went well, my truck seems to pull it fine and there was a stiff wind that did not seem to cause any issues. I am very happy with it!.. Here are a couple shots!..

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:21am
good looking trailer, Lee.  Hope to see it soon.  It will take three or four trips (or more) to figure out exactly how you want to set everything up.  That’s just part of the journey 👍🏻

My Videos
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:29pm
nice!

Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:06pm
Good looking trailer Lee. You’ll be having open house at the BHR I’m sure.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:28pm
Big smile Tiny wants to be the first to spill HBR on the floor! LOL  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>