Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine dies while driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine dies while driving
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:25pm
Hello All, I've been away from the forum for a while. Grunt and I have been enjoying life until today when while easing along in 2nd gear he suddenly bucked a couple of times and quit on me. After a moment of wondering how the heck I was going to get home, I hit the starter and he fired right up and we went a ways till he did it again. This time he started right up again and I floored it and he ran like a stripped ass ape (like we used to say long ago)all the way home. So here are he variables: Starts great; idles just fine; problem only appears while driving. Probably not a fuel quality problem as the 100LL came right out of the fuel truck that just fueled the B17 that lives next door. Points, condenser, and plugs all good. I'm thinking fuel pump or accelerator pump - What say Ye?
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:34pm
Not part of your problem but why on Earth part of your problem but why on Earth would you use a fuel so totally wrong for your engine you need to to use 12 to 1 compression to justify hundred octane fuel
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:39pm
The accelerator pump does nothing except when accelerating (hence the name), so if you were "easing along in second gear" at a steady speed and a steady throttle, I think you can count that one out.  BW

Edit to add: Possibly a sticky float or needle valve?  Does it quit like it's shut off, or lose power, slow down, and die?  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 18 May 2017 at 8:42pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Not part of your problem but why on Earth part of your problem but why on Earth would you use a fuel so totally wrong for your engine you need to to use 12 to 1 compression to justify hundred octane fuel

No alcohol, & it can be stored in the rig's fuel tank for years on end without "going bad". IE: it will not varnish up the fuel system if the Jeep is not driven often. It does not hurt the Willys engine at all.

Some folks buy "Real Gas" & use a "Staybil" like product to accomplish the same results. This is an easier option if you have a hanger on an airport, +/or work at one.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. It also contains a small amount of lead, Hence the LL, (Low Lead),  in 100LL. Still, a little zinc added to the oil is in order.

Edited to add the PS.

Edited by cpt logger - 18 May 2017 at 8:59pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 8:59pm
First place I would look is your condenser
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:08pm
Hi Mark, Yeah I know, it is just handy for me since I live on an airport, about 50yards from the fuel farm where the 100LL is. And like Cpt. says it doesn't make a mess and it smells GREAT when I start grunt in the shop. Good idea Bruce about the sticky float possibility. I was hoping for a fuel pump problem since I have a new one around here somewhere, and I hate to open up carbs because for me it is like Bud Wilkenson's idea about the forward pass in football - three things can happen and two of them are bad!!
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:16pm
Hey there Mark, I just saw your post and you and I are on the same page with that - First thing I tried was the condenser - Even found one made in Mexico instead of China - Yipee! I actually have an American made condenser in its original box that I bought by mistake - always be sure you are communicating when you get something from an antique parts place or you'll spend forty dollars on a nine dollar part :-)
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:24pm
Bruce, It has a quick loss of power and then starts to sort of chug along and if you do a tap dance on the foot feed you can keep it going and if you slap it in neutral and get the rpm's up you can take off and it runs really great for a while????
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:52am
A lot of this has been covered before. That fuel isn't what you need. Condenser can be a problem. A few folks have replaced several to get a good one but they are usually bad or good. Accelerator pump shouldn't be a problem at a constant speed.
If it dies at a constant speed, fuel pump, fuel filter, float level or the float is sticking. Crap in the gas line or the tank? I fit a new fuel gauge in one of my Jeep fuel tanks. I made the mistake of using blue goo and clogged the fuel pipe inlet.
I wouldn't mind being woken up early in the morning by a B17 being fired up.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:11am
I have been using Ethanol added fuel since 1980 When I station I managed started selling it as Gasohol. Aside from a single fuel filter change in a 1970 Opal Station wagon I was driving at the time I have never had any of the problems people associate with Gasoline with 10% added Ethanol.

Vehicles I have run it in

1970 Opal 1500cc Station Wagon
1967 Chevelle 327
1965 Dodge Polara 383
1968 Dodge Custom Sportsman Van 318
1979 Dodge Omni fast back some 2.? liter Rabbit engine
1980 Chevy Celiberty 2.8L V6
1965 Ford F-250 both a 352 and a Hi Pro 390 (truck had three tanks used the saddle tanks maybe once a year
1987 Toyota SR5 wagon thing no idea 4 banger
1988 F-250 460 dual tanks
1967 Mustang 200 L6
1991 Saturn SC-2 Sport Coupe 1.9 L4
1998 Dodge Dakota 3.9L (I did replace the fuel pump with 170K on the clock)
2005 Ford Focus 2.3L

But I understand my experience could be different then others.

As to using less volatile fuel in an engine with such low compression to start with would never occur to me.  Our engines were designed to operate with 68 Octane fuel 87 Octane is OVERKILL and should require adjustments to the timing to get the engine to run properly. 100 Octane your loosing power.

But I could be remembering Chevron USA's Fuel School I took in 1977 when I worked for them or my time studying Auto tech at PCC.

I'm not attempting to tell anyone what to do with your vehicle just asking the rational being others choices.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:33am
I'm not trying to bust your chops but a few friends had multiple fuel problems when they started using ethanol fuel. One went through several fuel filters in his '67 Camaro. I have never had an ethanol problem since they introduced it. I don't have a problem with low sulfur diesel. My motorhome runs well on it even if it is a 1992 Mitsu Fuso. My 1953 Buick runs fine on it.

I wish I had a B17 next door to listen to.
uncamonkey
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:45am
Thanks guys - Good Discussion, You have me on the right track and I'll come back and post what I find to be the problem when I get it worked out in case it might help someone else.
John, the Texas Raiders B17 is fun to listen to but strangely enough there is a Grumman Albatross here that makes as much noise with only two radials when he gets going. He was upwind of the four story control tower when he fired up a while back and the whole tower disappeared in the exhaust smoke. Too much oil where the 100LL should have been
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:44am
Originally posted by oldracer oldracer wrote:

He was upwind of the four story control tower when he fired up a while back and the whole tower disappeared in the exhaust smoke. Too much oil where the 100LL should have been

But no mosquitoes for a while, right? Smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:14am
They are restoring a B-17 that stood as a gas station canopy in Portland from the end of the war until about 15 years ago in a Hanger in Salem OR. Their big fund raiser car show military show is coming up in June. Hoping to get a chance to swing by.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:34am
A few years I went through Sentimental Journey out at the county airport. They are a lot smaller inside than they look like from the outside.
I love to watch You tube videos of some of the old radials weather they are from a plane or a tank. OK an Allison V12 is a sweet motor as well.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:59am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

They are restoring a B-17 that stood as a gas station canopy in Portland from the end of the war until about 15 years ago in a Hanger in Salem OR. Their big fund raiser car show military show is coming up in June. Hoping to get a chance to swing by.

Old war birds aren't cheap to fly at 200 gallons per hour at cruising speed. A friend took his father out for his last flight in a B17. His father spent his time in a B17 during the war. Wall to wall grin when they landed.
uncamonkey
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:21pm

Here is Grunt and the afore mentioned Albatross

And this is one of the V12 guys that burns 1 Gallon of 100LL a MINUTE - and that is if he isn't in a hurry!!

The new fuel pump is in and I'll test drive it after work. Note to Self - buy one of those special bolts for the front of the fuel pump!
T. Nick

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:50pm
I hope the fuel pump does it for you. I live about 1/2 way between the hospital and the county airport so it seems like there is always something over head.
uncamonkey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>