Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Wanted to Buy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine head
    Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 3:35pm
looking for a high altitude L134 head or willy's supersonic head
Snojet slice & dice on the ice
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 9:55pm
Craig,

You do know that a standard head can be milled to become a high compression head. 
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 10:41pm
Welcome to the page, Craig M!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Craig,

You do know that a standard head can be milled to become a high compression head. 

I've heard that from several sources, but I've never heard from anyone who has actually done it and got away with it. It's going to take considerable planing to reach the C.R. of either the Hi-Altitude head or the Supersonic, and the flat part of the head directly above the piston will be thinned by that amount. I'd like to know how much of that the head can stand.
  If anyone here has actually done that, I'd like to hear about it, but I don't want to hear about anyone's "Dad's friend has a brother-in-law who knows someone....."  
  Of course, any amount of milling or planing at all will raise the compression ratio, resulting in a "high compression head", but I'm looking for that one that has actually been shaved that .100" or whatever it takes, and has survived.     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 1:42am
I have a head that has been done that way. Original Willy’s marked head.  On my Kaiser supersonic block. I recently found a supersonic marked head. The combination chambers are the same. There are several threads where the difference is documented 
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 2:22am
You can do a lot to those old L heads. I rebuilt one back in the 70's. I was not the first in it but I bored, planed and shaved it. Never an overheating issue. It would outrun a F head. We just always had a problem with the rear seal, replaced many times.
uncamonkey
Craig M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2018 at 4:21am
I have considered plaining thehead but still not the same I plan on making a 4 into one header and aluminum twin tube intake so it is not connected to the exhaust manifold, a cold air intake will also give better compression I am planning 0n using a kehein or mikuni cv carbs they will flow air with less resistance and in colder weather you will not have the carb icing issues.
Snojet slice & dice on the ice
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:48am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

I have a head that has been done that way. Original Willy’s marked head.  On my Kaiser supersonic block. I recently found a supersonic marked head. The combination chambers are the same. There are several threads where the difference is documented 

Do you know how much was removed from your head? Did you CC the combustion chambers to verify that they have the same volume? Yes, I know there are several threads where this has been addressed, but I don't remember seeing any hard, documented facts. Numbers, measurements, documentation, that's what I want to see. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:56am
This is a supersonic head. If it shows up in the picture you can faintly see the outline of the second shelf in the casting before it was milled 

From the looks of this the head was cast with a normal combustion chamber and then milled to the supersonic combustion chamber. I don’t how much more is milled off. I have read threads where others have cc’d the chambers and measured thicknesses. But I have not. The thickness on this head however is 2.115”
It’s likely what is seen if the impression of the edge of a standard head gasket

Edited by Mike F - 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply